What kind of Apniac needs a biPap?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
dvejr

What kind of Apniac needs a biPap?

Post by dvejr » Sun May 03, 2020 8:43 pm

I am a happy CPAP veteran (15 years on the hose). My current machine is an autosetting ResMed. I'm happy with it but have a question about Bi-Level machines:
who needs one? As in, what set of symptoms/problems would point an OSA sufferer to a BiPap rather than a CPAP as a therapeutic?

jnk...

Re: What kind of Apniac needs a biPap?

Post by jnk... » Sun May 03, 2020 9:04 pm

AASM dudes wrote:The decision to use BPAP should be based on the clinician's judgement and needs of the individual patient. . . . In addition, treatment of other forms of sleep-related breathing disorders associated with hypercapnia . . . may require the use of BPAP. . . . To improve PAP adherence, BPAP has been used as an alternative to CPAP, in part due to issues of patient intolerance of high CPAP settings . . . The historically perceived benefits of BPAP are less likely to be relevant [now] since modified pressure profile technology, which also lowers expiratory pressures, has been integrated into modern PAP devices. --https://aasm.org/clinical-resources/pra ... uidelines/
That last statement hints at how modern ResMed CPAPs and APAPs now have EPR which can deliver a 3cm drop in pressure during exhale that is virtual bilevel of 3cmH2O, almost as comfy as bilevel.

Nice hat!
-Jeff (AS10/P30i)

Accounts to put on the foe list: Me. I often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

dvejr

Post by dvejr » Sun May 03, 2020 9:27 pm

Thanks. I wonder why Bi-Levels are thought to be better ventilators for COVID patients? Maybe a weakened patient needs very large difference between a high inhalation pressure and a very low exhalation relief pressure, perhaps even approaching zero?

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun May 03, 2020 9:43 pm

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
At least mostly . . .

Okie bipap

Post by Okie bipap » Sun May 03, 2020 10:03 pm

I have had a bilevel machine from the very start. My initial setting was 20 to 25 cm pressure with 5 cm pressure support. I still use high pressure (19 to 25), but I seldom go over 20 and I have changed my pressure support to 4 cm. My wife was also prescribed a bilevel machine when she first started. Her pressure goes over 20 frequently.

Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.

jnk...

Post by jnk... » Sun May 03, 2020 10:37 pm

dvejr wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 9:27 pm
Thanks. I wonder why Bi-Levels are thought to be better ventilators for COVID patients? Maybe a weakened patient needs very large difference between a high inhalation pressure and a very low exhalation relief pressure, perhaps even approaching zero?
If all someone needs is a little help with work of breathing to lessen issues with hypoxia, bilevel may help. One example is obesity-related hypoventilation. Otherwise, more may be needed.
-Jeff (AS10/P30i)

Accounts to put on the foe list: Me. I often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Mon May 04, 2020 7:34 am

Here is the Philips recommendation on the use of CPAP/BiPAP to assist in the treatment of COVID-19.

https://www.philips.com/a-w/about/news/ ... erapy.html

Miss Emerita

Post by Miss Emerita » Mon May 04, 2020 10:10 am

I switched from a ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset to a ResMed Aircurve Vauto so that I could use EPR/PS greater than 3. I wanted that additional capacity to address flow limitations, which the Vauto has done pretty successfully at PS of 4.8. The difference allows me to sleep more restfully, despite the increase in CAs. I backed off from PS of 5.0 due to aerophagia, but I may try again in a couple of months, because there's a still a fair amount of mild FL that isn't getting flagged.
Oscar software is available at https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/