Concern Over Sleep Apnea and Coronavirus Transmission

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
D.H.

Concern Over Sleep Apnea and Coronavirus Transmission

Post by D.H. » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:22 am

This Sleep Doctor believes that CPAP machines could spread the virus more so than ordinary sleep breathing. I presume that this means the patient using a CPAP machine can spread it more due to the increased airflow. I don't believe that she means a patient is more likely to catch it from the machine. However, patients should be careful to make sure that the air intake is not exposed to passers by (even close family and whether the machine is off or on). Since Sleep Apnea can be life threatening independent of Covid-19, I don't suggest that anybody discontinue use.

In the same article, she also points out that Sleep Labs are closed, new patients cannot be tested for Sleep Apnea. I'm not sure even about home testing, as the equipment still needs to be handled.

Furthermore, like most businesses (a medical practice is generally considered a business), they still need to pay rent, may also need to pay salaries, but have no revenue stream. Thus, their continuing solvency is in jeopardy.

Link ===> https://www.mdmag.com/medical-news/slee ... s-droplets

davecpap

Re: Concern Over Sleep Apnea and Coronavirus Transmission

Post by davecpap » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:09 am

The takeaway I got was that if the CPAP user is infected, the exhalation port on the CPAP mask is how viruses are spread throughout the household (return ducts, etc)...

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-sho ... d-covid-19

Article indicates CPAP use among nursing home residents in Seattle area contributed to the spread throughout the facility. Sounds like guidelines are being worked on for when temporary CPAP discontinuation is advised.

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:50 am

I would not want to discontinue use because Sleep Apnea is a life threatening illness in its own right. Furthermore, Covid-19 causes oxygen saturation to fall and so does Sleep Apnea. I would not want to compound the effect.

As far as whether it's dangerous to miss one night, I don't know and am not anxious to find out. Furthermore, I suspect that if we're expected to discontinue CPAP use due to a Covid-19 infection, the period would be at least fourteen days.

I think that after the crisis is over, we need to figure out a way for the exhalation gasses to be disinfected before being released. We would want this even for ordinary colds and flus.

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:12 am

babydinosnoreless wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:58 am
Arizona doctor is building boxes to help protect health care workers.

https://www.abc15.com/news/state/valley ... -shortages
A good idea for the current emergency, but we need a more elegant long-term solution.

Imagine twenty-years from now when Covid-19 is just a horrible memory. You're hospitalized a condition, perhaps not even a respiratory condition. They won't want you to use your CPAP an mask as it's currently configured because it will be seen as not hygienic in a hospital setting.

babydinosnoreless

Post by babydinosnoreless » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:20 am

D.H. wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:12 am
babydinosnoreless wrote:

A good idea for the current emergency, but we need a more elegant long-term solution.

Imagine twenty-years from now when Covid-19 is just a horrible memory. You're hospitalized a condition, perhaps not even a respiratory condition. They won't want you to use your CPAP an mask as it's currently configured because it will be seen as not hygienic in a hospital setting.
Can we get thru the current crisis first ?

socknitster

Post by socknitster » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:44 am

Since there are SO many other routes of transmission in the home setting--this virus is extremely contagious--I think it would be prudent to continue your CPAP therapy. A single uncovered cough or sneeze will do the same thing. And as for the two week quarantine, one of the early cruise ship victims tested positive long after his initial illness--something like 3-4 weeks. We don't actually know how long people are shedding this virus, so you cannot make any kind of assessment in that way yet.

realshelby

Post by realshelby » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:04 am

I think if you are in the same room, or the same house with someone, you are going to get infected. CPAP or not. I cannot believe someone actually spent time testing this to be true. So I will put it in the bullshit till proven otherwise file.

Just put a burlap sack over their head to lessen the range of exhalation........
Min 7 Max 20 (cmH2O)

zonker

Post by zonker » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:30 am

realshelby wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:04 am

Just put a burlap sack over their head to lessen the range of exhalation........
my wife has been suggesting a plastic bag over my head for years!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:12 pm

Truly, if you are positive for Covid 19 or have suspicious symptoms, you should be isolated in a single room and not share any air space with family members. It doesn't matter if you are on CPAP or not, as long as you are breathing (and certainly if you are sneezing and coughing) you are shedding virus. You should not be sharing a bathroom with anyone either as they have found virus in the GI tract and there are GI symptoms as well.

I would not stop using my CPAP in that isolation. I want to wake up every morning and have a fighting chance of surviving. If my O2 sats are already in the toilet from sleep apnea all night, plus all those stress hormones, that would greatly diminish my chances against virus.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:23 pm

Janknitz wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:12 pm
Truly, if you are positive for Covid 19 or have suspicious symptoms, you should be isolated in a single room and not share any air space with family members. It doesn't matter if you are on CPAP or not, as long as you are breathing (and certainly if you are sneezing and coughing) you are shedding virus. You should not be sharing a bathroom with anyone either as they have found virus in the GI tract and there are GI symptoms as well.

I would not stop using my CPAP in that isolation. I want to wake up every morning and have a fighting chance of surviving. If my O2 sats are already in the toilet from sleep apnea all night, plus all those stress hormones, that would greatly diminish my chances against virus.
Well said!

kong

Post by kong » Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:08 pm

I believe the concerns about CPAP spreading COVID-19 are mainly theoretical at this point. Now is not a good time to try to have a dental appliance made.

kong

Post by kong » Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:20 pm

A CPAP probably isn't going to much to help lungs that don't breathe right. It's great for a throat that's not all the way open or a tongue that's in the way.

kong

Post by kong » Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:25 pm

babydinosnoreless wrote:

I like the idea. I like anything that helps protect our healthcare works. First, they're doing the right thing and I want people like that protected. Second, if they get sick during this pandemic, then they're out of action and can't help the rest of us.

Right now, I am doing my part to keep America safe: I sit on my butt all day at my house.

Lifeisabeach

Post by Lifeisabeach » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:02 pm

Janknitz wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:12 pm
We set up the 2nd floor of our house to be a quarantine zone if it comes to that. Everyone should be looking at their homes and working out a plan to isolate a zone as much as possible. Supply the area in advance with essentials to minimize movement in and out of the area. Make it as comfortable now as you need it to be for a 2 week or longer quarantine.
This. Exactly this.