How do I deal with anxiety

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
carlarenee1956

How do I deal with anxiety

Post by carlarenee1956 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:59 pm

Hi. I am so fortunate discover this form it is very helpful I just wanted to ask how one deals with anxiety especially if he wants new to using the mask I use nasal mask I’ve been on nasal mask for 11 days. I fine myself with some degree of anxiety I started taking anti-anxiety med but I don’t always want to do that mostly it’s in the evening tonight I have anxiety I don’t use any caffeine and I drink chamomile tea before I go to bed
Any hints will be appreciated

kteague

Re: How do I deal with anxiety

Post by kteague » Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:16 pm

Hello and welcome. Can you tell us a little bit more about your anxiety, like are you anxious in other situations too or just about your CPAP treatment? The first thing you'll want to do is make sure your settings are actually giving you therapeutic treatment. If not, it could cause a sense of anxiety if your body and brain are feeling a sense of impending trouble. Do read the threads at the top of the page for newbies. You'll find how to check your machine data for effectiveness. Do what you need to do to make your mask as comfortable as possible. Develop soothing bedtime routines and treat yourself to comfort things that make you look forward to masking up, like maybe aromatherapy or a pillowcase that you enjoy the feel of. There are also mask strap covers that make the headgear more comfortable. If nothing is really "wrong" maybe time will work in your favor.

nee

Post by nee » Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:22 pm

For generalized anxiety, I'd HIGHLY recommend reading this book:

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/dare-b ... 1123103475

Which meds are you taking? If it's something like an SSRI anti-depressant, you'd want to be taking it every day as directed by your psychiatrist rather than not taking it every day as you mentioned. If it's a benzodiazepine like Xanax, then yeah... the less you are able to take it, the better.

If the pressure on your machine is uncomfortable, turn EPR on so there's not as much pressure upon exhalation. When I had a CPAP I couldn't tolerate it at all. Switching to APAP and turning EPR to 3 worked best for me.

farnsy

Post by farnsy » Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:12 am

Use of the CPAP actually reduces my anxiety at night. Instead of worrying about the next day, problems at work or with people, or conversations I would have with people if I could do it over again, I'm thinking about whether my mask is fitting right. A lot less stressful, though not perfect.

One night I had a little leak that was driving me crazy and making me lose sleep. At some point after the 100th adjustment to the fit I decided to stop thinking about it as a problem and imagine that the little cool breeze I was feeling was a bonus that was put there to help put me to sleep. Changing the way I thought about it made it completely tolerable and I fell asleep without that much trouble.

Changing the way we think about things, in general, relieves anxiety. Unfortunately it's usually easier said than done. In the case of CPAP therapy that is making you anxious, it might make sense to think of it as a positive: you get pure, filtered, humidified, delicious air (distilled water smells nice). It's also a signal that it's time to go to bed. It can be part of the routine that takes you out of the stressful, awake, part of the day and puts you in bedtime mode.

Good luck.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:13 pm

carlarenee1956 wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:59 pm
How do I deal with anxietyQuote carlarenee1956
It's common for untreated sleep apnea to cause anxiety. Even sleep apnea treated with CPAP can cause anxiety if your CPAP therapy is not working well. Do you know how to read your daily AHI and leak level from your machine's display?

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:22 pm

farnsy wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:12 am
Use of the CPAP actually reduces my anxiety at night. Instead of worrying about the next day, problems at work or with people, or conversations I would have with people if I could do it over again, I'm thinking about whether my mask is fitting right. A lot less stressful, though not perfect.

One night I had a little leak that was driving me crazy and making me lose sleep. At some point after the 100th adjustment to the fit I decided to stop thinking about it as a problem and imagine that the little cool breeze I was feeling was a bonus that was put there to help put me to sleep. Changing the way I thought about it made it completely tolerable and I fell asleep without that much trouble.

Changing the way we think about things, in general, relieves anxiety. Unfortunately it's usually easier said than done. In the case of CPAP therapy that is making you anxious, it might make sense to think of it as a positive: you get pure, filtered, humidified, delicious air (distilled water smells nice). It's also a signal that it's time to go to bed. It can be part of the routine that takes you out of the stressful, awake, part of the day and puts you in bedtime mode.

Good luck.
Before I had a hearing aid, I imagined my tinnitus as a tiny angel sitting on my shoulder,
singing about love--but off-key, because nobody's perfect--but love is.

dreamingofdreaming

Post by dreamingofdreaming » Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:52 pm

My doctor prescribed me Xanax for anxiety. I take one every night before bed.

shragae

Post by shragae » Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:22 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:13 pm
carlarenee1956 wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:59 pm
How do I deal with anxietyQuote carlarenee1956
It's common for untreated sleep apnea to cause anxiety. Even sleep apnea treated with CPAP can cause anxiety if your CPAP therapy is not working well. Do you know how to read your daily AHI and leak level from your machine's display?
This is a great forum. I just wish I could upvote great posts like this one!

MarcieCPAPsux

Post by MarcieCPAPsux » Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:34 pm

dreamingofdreaming wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:52 pm
Can I ask how long have you been on the Xanax? I have been on Ativan for a month and only have a month left, but the 2 nights I've tried to use the machine without it have been MISERABLE and I end up ripping it off after a couple hours. I don't want to be "addicted" to the med but I also want to sleep!

Julie

Post by Julie » Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:29 pm

Melatonin anyone? A much smaller dose than is usually prescribed or taken (including cutting 3 mg ones in half) half an hour before bed... less hangover the next day and great sleep!

Miss Emerita

Post by Miss Emerita » Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:10 pm

Such great responses! One other thought: some people find it helpful to set the machine up in another room and use it during the day or evening while reading or watching TV. This helps your body and mind get used to the weird experience and even to associate it with neutral/positive states. This is also good because you're getting used to it all without having that immediate pressure to fall asleep that can be so challenging.
Oscar software is available at https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/

dreamingofdreaming

Post by dreamingofdreaming » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:21 am

MarcieCPAPsux wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:34 pm
dreamingofdreaming wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:52 pm
Can I ask how long have you been on the Xanax? I have been on Ativan for a month and only have a month left, but the 2 nights I've tried to use the machine without it have been MISERABLE and I end up ripping it off after a couple hours. I don't want to be "addicted" to the med but I also want to sleep!
I've been taking it for over a year now. I have anxiety that has nothing really to do with using my CPAP. It's a very low dose. I am scheduled for my yearly appointment soon. I'm not sure if my doctor will keep me on this or maybe something else. What ever is wrong with my brain that won't shut it off and let me sleep, Xanax helps. Before I started taking Xanax, I tried melatonin and various vitamins that are suppose to help sleep. None of those worked for me. I usually feel great when I wake up. No hangover, not groggy.