ResMed N30 user review

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
realshelby

ResMed N30 user review

Post by realshelby » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:01 am

I recently purchased the new ResMed N30 mask. Out of my pocket, no favors, insurance, or influence from anyone. I have 7 nights on it. I went back to the P10 night before last ( using the N30 headgear on my P10 ) as a comparison. Then back to the N30 last night. I normally use the P30i mask with the top mounted hose. Let's start with what is obvious. The name is utterly confusing! This SHOULD have been called the "N10" as it is similar in many ways to the size, weight, construction of the very popular P10 mask. There IS an N30i on the market, but it is completely different. Get past all that and you might find this a good mask.

Again, this compares closely in weight, size, and low intrusion feel of the P10. That is certainly a good thing. The headgear is adjustable and has nicer fabric. The headgear is interchangeable, even though ResMed says it is not. The big difference is the cushion. Made to seal with air pressure against a thin silicone area around the nostrils. Just like the P10, too much tension on the headgear tends to make it not seal as well. It should feel too loose when you put it on, before the air pressure builds up.

This is the most comfortable mask I have ever used. With the exception that I have to deal with the front mounted hose at least. If you have ever used the Bravida mask, this has a similar feel. Without the much larger wrap around cushion of the Bravida, which also means you don't have to deal with the sweating and slipping of the Bravida cushion due to the N30 cushion having a much smaller contact area. It would be hard to imagine anyone having any soreness around the nostril using this mask. The N30 is much more comfortable than the N30i as the N30i has the hard plastic piece on the cushion that is a problem for some.

Sealing. Under some conditions this seals very well. Yet like any cushion ( compared to a pillows style ) it cannot be buried into a pillow without moving too far and either blocking air flow or leaking. Any mask can do that too, but some are better than others. The P10 is better for side sleepers as far as sealing for instance. Not that the N30 is a problem, but you WILL find your leak chart will be higher with it than for instance the P10. It seals better than the Bravida for instance.

Quiet. This is as quiet as any mask I have used as far as venting goes. There just isn't any vent noise or obvious vent airflow, just like the P10. BUT...under some conditions the thin silicone around the nostril can vibrate. Usually if the mask is slightly off center. Makes inhaling and exhaling a bit louder to the user than some masks. But not a problem, still quieter than the masks with top mounted hoses for instance.

Cleaning/replacing the cushion. This cushion has a ring around it that you slip over the frame. There is a hump built into the frame that notches into the cushion. You have to slip the cushion over this lip that goes around the frame. Not as easy as the P10 to snap out and back in. But easy enough to remove and clean daily if you prefer that over wiping them down.

This won't become my everyday mask. I am going back to my P30i tonight. And looking forward to a nights sleep with no hose to deal with every time I turn over. Yet either the N30 or the P10 will be my travel mask and the ones I would go to as a backup mask. I may take both with me on trips till I decide which is my favorite, they are so compact they hardly add to the weight or size needed to pack my travel machine!

Bottom line. There are some users that this will be very good for. If you have sensitive nostrils, maybe sensitive skin, this might be the answer. The P10 does in my opinion still perform a little better as far as leaks and burrowing into a pillow. They are very, very close.
Min 7 Max 20 (cmH2O)

KungFuCow

Re: ResMed N30 user review

Post by KungFuCow » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:38 am

If you like this mask at all, I encourage you to try to N30i with the Phillips eyeglasses style band. I have the N30 and much like you, I find it to be "okay" but hard to keep sealed. The N30i with the Phillips band has been a real home run.

maffle

Post by maffle » Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:38 am

KungFuCow wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:38 am
If you like this mask at all, I encourage you to try to N30i with the Phillips eyeglasses style band. I have the N30 and much like you, I find it to be "okay" but hard to keep sealed. The N30i with the Phillips band has been a real home run.
I saw your post and wanted to ask, what you mean with that. What is a "Phillips eyeglasses style band"? I tried the Resmed N30i and sadly it is way too small for my "giant" head, and the angle doesnt fit properly therefore and also sealing shut my nose of too tight pressure. Are the N30i cushions compatible with a Philips head gear, if so, which one, and vice versa, are the Philips cushion compatible with the Resmed N30i frame?

I am thinking of trying the N30. I tried the P10 too as my first mask, and it had the best seal, I sleep most of the time on my side. Sadly... it starts to hurt really badly after 20 minutes wearing it, and I cant fall asleep with it. Then I switched to the N30i (standard size), and it also doesnt fit, being way to small. I dont understand why Resmed has not a large frame, as Philips does.

I am actually really desperate right now. Not sure if I should try the N30 maybe and give it a try, or if it also will not work for me.
Last edited by maffle on Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

mw757

Post by mw757 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:41 am

Mask fit is so personal that it’s hard to generalize. I too have a ‘ginormous’ head and used the p10 as my main mask for years.
I switched to the n30 about 3 months ago and found it to be the most leak free and comfortable mask this side sleeper has ever used.
As they don’t offer a fit pack, make sure to use the template to find your size.

JXG

Post by JXG » Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:56 am

maffle wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:38 am
KungFuCow wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:38 am
I saw your post and wanted to ask, what you mean with that. What is a "Phillips eyeglasses style band"? I tried the Resmed N30i and sadly it is way too small for my "giant" head, and the angle doesnt fit properly therefore and also sealing shut my nose of too tight pressure. Are the N30i cushions compatible with a Philips head gear, if so, which one, and vice versa, are the Philips cushion compatible with the Resmed N30i frame?

I am thinking of trying the N30. I tried the P10 too as my first mask, and it had the best seal, I sleep most of the time on my side. Sadly... it starts to hurt really badly after 20 minutes wearing it, and I cant fall asleep with it. Then I switched to the N30i (standard size), and it also doesnt fit, being way to small. I dont understand why Resmed has not a large frame, as Philips does.

I am actually really desperate right now. Not sure if I should try the N30 maybe and give it a try, or if it also will not work for me.
What KungFuCow means by "Philips eyeglasses style band" is that Philips has new headgear for the DreamWear. You can find it by searching for "DreamWear Headgear with Arms". Since the N30i has very similar headgear connections to the DreamWear some people have been using the new Philips headgear on the N30i as well. The new headgear is designed to improve the stability, I don't think it will help with your sizing issues. If you need a large frame, have you tried the DreamWear? It's very similar to the N30i.

RogerSC

Post by RogerSC » Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:17 pm

If the "Philips eyeglass-style" headgear is the one referred to as having "arms" in the product listing, this also solved my problems with the Philips-Respironic Dreamwear Nasal mask that used to slide up on the back of my head until the nasal cushion disengaged. The rigid "arms" on this headgear just doesn't allow the Dreamwear or AirFit N30i to slide up in the back of your head. Right now I'm using either the AirFit N30 or the Dreamwear nasal mask with this expensive *smile* headgear as my favorite masks:

https://www.cpap.com/productpage/dreamw ... dgear-arms

Not happy with the price of it, cost about 1/2 of the price that the mask originally cost on discount, but it makes the Dreamwear usable for me. I almost stopped using the Dreamwear because I would have to pull it down every time I woke up at night. Got a little obsessive, so I was very happy to find this product that just works. It also works with the ResMed AirFit N30i I hear, but not with the N30. Used it with the Dreamwear last night, and my 95% leak number for the night was 0, very rare for me these days.

Miss Emerita

Post by Miss Emerita » Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:15 am

I just got an N30 to try out. In many ways I'm happy with the Aloha; most nights I have no leaks at all, and with the Pad-a-Cheek strap covers, I rarely have marks on my face. But the venting is just a straight blast of air, and there's an extra level of noise if I position my head angled in even slightly toward the pillow. (I'm a slide-sleeper.) Plus by the end of the night, the Aloha is somewhat uncomfortable for my nose.

The N30 is extremely comfortable, and the vent is the wonderful kind I got used to back when I used the P10. But I can't get it to seal consistently along the bottom, no matter how I try tightening, loosening, or repositioning. It'll seal if I lie on my back, but then the minute I turn on my side, some little gap will open up and blow air on my upper lip. Any tips?

Also, I've been using a hose lift with the Aloha, and I'm pretty sure the N30 is not going to work well with my Hose Buddy. The problem of leakage along the bottom gets worse when I try routing the hose upward. Any ideas about that aspect?
Oscar software is available at https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/

realshelby

Post by realshelby » Fri May 01, 2020 6:54 am

While it might not feel right, try scooting the entire mask further toward your upper lip.
I found the N30 had to be positioned just right to seal best, and it wasn't always where it "felt right" when putting it on.
Min 7 Max 20 (cmH2O)

Miss Emerita

Post by Miss Emerita » Sun May 03, 2020 11:17 am

Thanks, realshelby.
Oscar software is available at https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/

mets123

Post by mets123 » Sun May 03, 2020 2:10 pm

I also am new using the n30. I find it very light and comfortable. My leaks are way down with this mask and my AHI is usually below 1. My problem is I am waking up with headaches when I use this mask and am wondering if it could be that the quiet vents are not diffusing out my co2. I really love this mask and wonder if anyone else feels that it doesn’t vent out enough and any suggestions someone can offer.

JXG

Post by JXG » Mon May 04, 2020 6:49 am

mets123 wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 2:10 pm
I also am new using the n30. I find it very light and comfortable. My leaks are way down with this mask and my AHI is usually below 1. My problem is I am waking up with headaches when I use this mask and am wondering if it could be that the quiet vents are not diffusing out my co2. I really love this mask and wonder if anyone else feels that it doesn’t vent out enough and any suggestions someone can offer.
Which mask were you using before you switched to the N30?

mets123

Post by mets123 » Mon May 04, 2020 12:54 pm

I was using the F20 air touch. It’s a great mask but I wanted something lighter and less bulk on my face.

sunnysideup

Post by sunnysideup » Mon May 11, 2020 11:56 am

Thanks for posting this! I'm new to CPAP -- got my PAP machine on 4/23. I got the ResMed N20 (nasal), but it leaks and is too tight, so I switched to the N30. However, I got headaches and some ear pressure/pain (not sure if it was the N20 or N30, or just too much pressure).

The N30 is uncomfortable, but I'm not sure I'm wearing it right. In order for it to work, I'm smushing it hard over my nose in order for it to work properly. The second night, I loosened it and it came off in the middle of the night. I was thinking of ordering the P10 pillows/cushion replacements and using the N30 gear, thinking it was interchangeable, but it looks like they're not?? I think the P10 has clips that secure it to the hose, whereas the N30 does not (silicone cover only).

How do you suggest fitting the N30? I looked up YouTube vids and ResMed vids, but they don't really explain proper fit. I think I might be wearing it wrong -- I had the pillows sort of at an angle since the strap's pressure point secures it at an angle (like 45 degrees to the nostril openings). I think I need to align the holes perpendicular to my nostrils? Like in the P10 product guide, pic 4 https://www.resmed.com/us/dam/documents ... er_eng.pdf. Is that how you're doing it?

And just curious - do you find the N30 lighter and quieter than the P10? Specs are similar for weight, but ResMed says the N30 is the quietest. Is the P10 actually quieter and more comfortable? Appreciate your insight!

ResMed P10
21.4 dBa (not sure if this is sound power?)
1.6 oz

ResMed N30
sound power 24.7 dBa
weight 44-45g (1.58oz)

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon May 11, 2020 12:05 pm

sunnysideup wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 11:56 am
I was thinking of ordering the P10 pillows/cushion replacements and using the N30 gear, thinking it was interchangeable, but it looks like they're not?? I think the P10 has clips that secure it to the hose, whereas the N30 does not (silicone cover only).
The P10 and N30 are not in any way interchangeable. Sometimes we can fiddle with masks and combine different parts but I don't see any way to marry those 2 masks.
The P10 has a short hose frame assembly that the nasal pillow clips in to. That frame is all one piece.

I have never used the N30 so I can't help you with any of your questions regarding it but the P10 is silent in terms of vent noise and you have to put your hand about an inch away from the vent holes to even feel the air moving out the vent.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

openheartmama

Post by openheartmama » Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:01 am

I'm kind of bummed to find that my N30 is much louder than the other masks I've tried. I was hoping it would be as quiet as the p10, which I was optimistic about before realizing pillow masks just don't work for me. The exhaust vents on the N30 are different from the P10 and are loud with my exhalations (woke me the first night I tried it).
I do like the N30i so far, and think that or the dream wear nasal cradle will be what I settle on once I get the alternative, not so slippery headgear that was recommended above. It's on its way.

NJ-based mama to two wee school-aged wonders, wife to super-nerd scientist. Breaking up the pandemic monotony with May 2020 open heart repair of ascending aortic aneurysm. OHS diagnosed September 2020. Still tired but optimistic.