5 months later..

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
huydts

5 months later..

Post by huydts » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:34 am

Hi All,

My name is Nick from the Netherlands Europe.
Im struggeling for like 6 years with excessive fatique.

My doctor said it couldn't be sleep apnea due to my age and BMI.

I went to a private clinic and had a sleep test. 48 AHI!

So I got a apap machine dreamstation i.c.m. wisp mask
The pressure settings were determined at 7.5cm. The doc said they always start at this pressure cause it seems to be the median to help most patients ... strange but okay.

So I started my therapy...

The numbers where initially around 7 - 12 AHI most obstructive and hypo's
Because that's not very good, and the ensurance company only pays out while AHI is below 5 they raised the pressure to 8.

Few weeks trying and AHI was still 9/ h.. So I asked for higher pressure.

They at first didn't want to, but the pressure was increased to 8.5.

Even this pressure didn't do much, so after lots of wining and complaining a got a new mask, the resmed full face and I bought the resmed p10 myself icm with again a pressure raise to 9.
This was also because of a stuffed nose each time I was sleeping with my mask.

Finally my AHI dropped below 5 as average... BUT

I cant get used to the p10 mask cause it feels like if it is going to blow up my whole face.
The full face is way to uncomfortable so that's no option eather.

My AHI was pretty reasonable around 5 each night some times below 3 and some times over 5...
MY fatique however was still very bad, haven't had any energized days or fit feelings during awakening or during the day..

So I asked my sleepdoc to raise the pressure again... They said it wont help.. But changed to automatic 9-12.5cm..
I tried that for a week, but again no lower ahi, still tired and still trouble wearing the uncomfortabele Wisp mask.

Meanwhile I tried using a chinstrap and some cotton anti irritation thingies..

Again I went back to the nurse, and asked for another mask. This time they gave me a dreamwear mask.
Wow this one is very comfortable, but the AHI' sstill were around 6. Most of them obstructive, then hypos and a few 5 or 6 centrals per night.

Again I went back to the doc and she said I cant try and test pressure settings myself...

So I slept for 10 days with a pressure of 9 - 20 to self titrate.

After 10 days of sleeping with this setting the 95% pressure was 13.4
I notice I wake up sometimes and my throat is so dry I can barely swallow.. So I think when the machine hits like 15cmo2 or something it is very uncomfortable for my throat...
Even with humidifier at max.

So, now I took this 12.4 setting and set my apap to minimum of 10 and maximum of 14.5.
I tried tis last night full of hope, but my AHI was 7.1.

I really don't know what to do anymore...

BTW I also wake up every night with very sweaty legs ( only lower part of my legs ) then I fall back to sleep. any ideas about that?

I only take 1 piss per night, and sleep pretty good overall. The problem is my energy during the day which is very low. Also I never wake up fit.

I am 34 yrs old, and weigh 84 kilos.

Miss Emerita

Re: 5 months later..

Post by Miss Emerita » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:29 am

Welcome! You have a spirit of experimentation that will serve you well. The next step is to download the Oscar software:

https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/

Check that you have an SD card in your machine, then import your data into Oscar and post a screenshot of your Daily page. That will help the experts help you.
Oscar software is available at https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/

huydts

Post by huydts » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:55 am

Miss Emerita wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:29 am
Welcome! You have a spirit of experimentation that will serve you well. The next step is to download the Oscar software:

https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/

Check that you have an SD card in your machine, then import your data into Oscar and post a screenshot of your Daily page. That will help the experts help you.
Hi, thanks for the quick reply.

I use sleepyhead, is that okay aswel?

Would you like a copy of the last night? or several nights, and what info exactly? cause there are pages enough...

ciao!

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:57 am

SleepyHead is fine.
See this thread for the format and which graphs to include ...we don't need or want all those graphs.
viewtopic/t158560/How-to-post-images-for-review.html

How is your sleep quality? Sleeping soundly for the most part or waking often during the night even if not turning the machine off or needing to go to the bathroom?

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

huydts

Post by huydts » Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:44 am

Pugsy wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:57 am
SleepyHead is fine.
See this thread for the format and which graphs to include ...we don't need or want all those graphs.
viewtopic/t158560/How-to-post-images-for-review.html

How is your sleep quality? Sleeping soundly for the most part or waking often during the night even if not turning the machine off or needing to go to the bathroom?
hi,

Will upload when im able to ty.

Its hard to say if I wake up often cause I don't remember that most of the time.
I do remember wake up some times with a very very dry throat. Ill have to get out and drink some water. This happens max twice a night. ( ill start using a chinstrap again, this will avoid dryness due to mouth breathing right? )
I also think I wake up a little bit because of annoying small leaks which cause annoying sounds. They occur when I try to lay on my side. I then move my head/ shoulders few times until the leak is gone and fall back to sleep.

all together I feel like I sleep superb, but then the alarm goes off, and I feel like I wanna sleep 3 more hours. ( after slept ~9.5 hours alrdy. )

I am now trying to find out whats best pressure for me, and auto setting or fixed

byebye, and thanks for everyone trying to help me, I appreciate!

squid13

Post by squid13 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:06 pm

Do you have a humidifier with your machine?

US Navy Retired 1973,AirCurve 10 ASV, Mode: ASV Auto, Min EPAP: 7.2, Max EPAP: 15.0, Min PS:4.0, Max PS: 15.0, Mask ResMed Airtouch F20, Backup: (2) AirCurve 10 ASV

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:57 pm

You weight of 84 kg equates to 185 lbs.

Unless you're very short, that's not terribly overweight. The Netherlands has the largest average height of any country on earth, so - statistically - your probably not short.

The protocol in the US is to determine your titration with an overnight sleep study. Whether you do it our way or your way, it's still trial and error.

While the an AHI anywhere under five is acceptable, I know that if mine goes over two, I fell just awful the next day.

Also, consider that you might have additional health issues that are making you tired. Such issues include (but are no limited to) Narcolepsy, Diabetes, heart conditions, and poor vitamin absorption.

huydts

Post by huydts » Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:27 pm

squid13 wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:06 pm
Do you have a humidifier with your machine?
yes, and i use it as stated.

huydts

Post by huydts » Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:32 pm

D.H. wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:57 pm
You weight of 84 kg equates to 185 lbs.

Unless you're very short, that's not terribly overweight. The Netherlands has the largest average height of any country on earth, so - statistically - your probably not short.

The protocol in the US is to determine your titration with an overnight sleep study. Whether you do it our way or your way, it's still trial and error.

While the an AHI anywhere under five is acceptable, I know that if mine goes over two, I fell just awful the next day.

Also, consider that you might have additional health issues that are making you tired. Such issues include (but are no limited to) Narcolepsy, Diabetes, heart conditions, and poor vitamin absorption.

Hello D.H. i am 179cm tall. so not really obese or something.

It is true there might be comorbiditys. I have had those checked 1 year ago because i went to the doctor with fatique and energy problems.
Back then everything was OK, vitamins, Lipase, Liver, Sugar etc. It would be a great coincidence my cpap works good, but during the last few months another symtpom is starting to cause my fatique problems... BUT everything is posible...

Im gona make an apointment with the doc soon to check my values again. ty for the advise.

huydts

Post by huydts » Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:08 pm

so.. can anybody see what i possibly can change?

Tonight ( right now ) im going to sleep with apap setting 10.5 -20 with my under the nose dreamwear mask. + chinstrap unfortunately ( else i'm afraid my mouth will be blown open with dryness as a result..

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:29 pm

PLEASE stop doing that.

wiki/index.php/Sleepyhead:Organize

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:35 pm

Sorry, I cannot help.
The bullfrog once spoke Flemish, but stopped using it when he moved to America (10 years old)

CountingSheep

Post by CountingSheep » Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:08 am

Hi! At least you’re sticking with it!

Have you tried going off the APAP altogether and just going for a CPAP constant pressure of say 9cm? It worked for me.
I had similar problems. I started off on an APAP 6-10 then went CPAP 7 then 8 and now I’m on 9 constant. I took a home test machine back from docs and he prescribed the 9. My AHI has dropped dramatically. I also stopped using a nasal spray called Otrivine (that was my choice, get off the stuff it’s addictive)
Anyway that’s my tips. You can see how my sleep has improved. Keep at it! Looking at your chart your AHI shot up with the rise in pressure too.. Do you use a special CPAP pillow too?
56A1015D-749D-4D5A-8239-3BAC5E06C434.jpeg
56A1015D-749D-4D5A-8239-3BAC5E06C434.jpeg (500.9 KiB) Viewed 2347 times
Attachments
4B208F7D-22F2-469F-9D08-A93532E5A750.jpeg
4B208F7D-22F2-469F-9D08-A93532E5A750.jpeg (88.1 KiB) Viewed 2347 times

huydts

Post by huydts » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:03 am

CountingSheep wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:08 am
Hi! At least you’re sticking with it!

Have you tried going off the APAP altogether and just going for a CPAP constant pressure of say 9cm? It worked for me.
I had similar problems. I started off on an APAP 6-10 then went CPAP 7 then 8 and now I’m on 9 constant. I took a home test machine back from docs and he prescribed the 9. My AHI has dropped dramatically. I also stopped using a nasal spray called Otrivine (that was my choice, get off the stuff it’s addictive)
Anyway that’s my tips. You can see how my sleep has improved. Keep at it! Looking at your chart your AHI shot up with the rise in pressure too.. Do you use a special CPAP pillow too? 56A1015D-749D-4D5A-8239-3BAC5E06C434.jpeg
Hey Brother, wow thats amazing! You are spot on.

Let me tell you this;

Last night i woke up around 4:30 cause of burping, and massive discomfort.
I then switched to another mask ( wisp ) at constant pressure of 9.5.

My AHI went down like crazy, and i slept way better.

The only problem is my nose always gets glogged with the wisp nosemask so i can hardly breath after few hours... Then i use Otrivin aswell ( i know bad idea )
Today i bought a sligtly larger nosemask F&P 407. Im gona try if that will do the job in combination with fixed pressure :)

Look:

huydts

Post by huydts » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:04 am

chunkyfrog wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:35 pm
Sorry, I cannot help.
The bullfrog once spoke Flemish, but stopped using it when he moved to America (10 years old)
Ah really haha from elgium right? Hallo mijn vriend uit het zuiden ;)