OT - What our dreams are trying to tell us

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Bertha deBlues

OT - What our dreams are trying to tell us

Post by Bertha deBlues » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:59 am

Early this morning I awoke from a dream in which I was a passenger in a car broken down by the side of the road. In the dream, I walked around to the exhaust and asked if it was supposed to make that loud whooshing sound. I woke up to find that - you guessed it - air was blowing out of my mouth. :roll: This doesn't happen often, so I wasn't very concerned and was able to get back to sleep.

P.S. This is the first original post I've made, all previous posts have been in response to someone else.
Last edited by Bertha deBlues on Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
And in the end the love you take is equal to the love you make. - Paul McCartney

Dog Slobber

Re: OT - What our dreams are trying to tell us

Post by Dog Slobber » Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:17 am

Our dreams aren't trying to tell us anything. They are a response to high brain activity and often incorporate existing thoughts and stimulation.

Or you are being influenced by a witch. We should find her, try her and burn her at the stake.
Last edited by Dog Slobber on Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:55 am

Bertha deBlues wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:59 am
In the dream, I walked around to the exhaust and asked if it was supposed to make that loud whooshing sound.
You set that up perfectly for a fart joke. Disappointed. :lol:

I woke from a pleasant dream this morning after 7.5 hours of sound sleep. Yesterday, I managed a fairly long (for my age) walk through the city. After this, I was thinking about arranging a shorter walk for some of my friends to a new, trendy food hall where we would have lunch. In this morning's dream, we were walking through the city and seeing some new sites.

In my dream experiences, I can usually tie them to something I have been doing or thinking about doing.
Dog Slobber wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:17 am
often incorporate existing thoughts and stimulation.
Yep.

kteague

Post by kteague » Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:58 pm

I used to keep a journal of my dreams before CPAP when I was seeing a pattern in so many of them being justs snippets related to suffocating, drowning, choking, etc. Was up to about 50 of them before I started CPAP and that particular theme of dream went away. I think some dreams are a response to physical sensation, where the brain makes up some random story related to what we are feeling. If that were not so, it wouldn't be so common to be dreaming of things related to peeing then wake up having to run to the bathroom. Now my dreams are more involved stories where sometimes I can easily see a correlation with daytime experiences or discussion. Other times I just chuckle and enjoy the nonsensical ride. Wish I could remember some of the entertaining stories that slipped my mind moments after waking.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:58 pm

A little "light" reading............ ;)

viewtopic.php?t=3524

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

Bertha deBlues

Post by Bertha deBlues » Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:31 pm

kteague wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:58 pm
Now my dreams are more involved stories where sometimes I can easily see a correlation with daytime experiences or discussion. Other times I just chuckle and enjoy the nonsensical ride. Wish I could remember some of the entertaining stories that slipped my mind moments after waking.
Same here - involved stories incorporating places, people, objects from the last few days or weeks, all stitched together into a story that makes little sense. Every so often they're useful, suggesting a solution to something I've been thinking about.
And in the end the love you take is equal to the love you make. - Paul McCartney

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:41 pm

I need to start journaling.
My erotic dreams might make an interesting book.
At the very least, my heirs might get a giant hoot out of it.

SemperVaporo

Post by SemperVaporo » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:11 pm

I did write a novel due to my dreams... they were repetitive and very much linked from one to another night after night. It got to the point where I enjoyed some of the dreams and looked forward to them. But it began to bother me that I was having these dreams and that they were spilling over into my waking hours as random thoughts about the dreams and the characters in the dreams. I read somewhere that to write down such incessant dreams might reduce their frequency... it did! Now I have a 488 page novel for sale on Amazon. (I won't spam this site with the title, and my user name here has nothing to do with the novel, so you can't find it that way either :) . )

zoocrewphoto

Post by zoocrewphoto » Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:18 am

Before cpap, I used to have dreams of being chased, hunted, etc. Basically running and out of breath.

My first night AFTER the sleep study, I had a dream that I had to wait 6 months for my cpap machine, and I was angry. So, my brain, even while asleep, knew that the night before had been a really good night, and it was the machine that made it good.

A few nights into cpap, I took the mask off. I had a dream that I was in a building, carrying my cpap machine from room to room looking for a power outlet. Again, my brain, while asleep, KNEW that I needed cpap, and that it was not on.

Now, for a really funny one. Many years ago, I had a dream that I had a big fluffy mustache. I am female, so this is not even close to realistic. I would shave it off, cut it off, etc, and it kept returning. And it tickled like crazy. I finally woke up and found a cat tail up against my nose. My brain was making up stories for why my nose was being tickled. No idea why it could not have chosen a more plausible story. It seemed to know the cpap would be useful for breathing problems.

Oh, and one time I had an asthma attack. I got up and used my inhaler. I woke up later with another asthma attack. I looked for my inhaler and discovered it was still in my bag. I had only dreamt that I had used my inhaler.

Who would have thought it would be this challenging to sleep and breathe at the same time?