Advice On Initial Settings: ResMed S8 Autoset II

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
unloopme

Advice On Initial Settings: ResMed S8 Autoset II

Post by unloopme » Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:03 pm

Howdy folks, great to be here!

I have recently "inherited" a low hours S8 Auto II w/Heat Humid. Bought myself a Tap Pap Nasal Pillow.
I was hoping for some advice on where to start. I have read and searched a bit but decided not to piggyback elsewhere.
I have no insurance and some severe sleep apnea for a long time according to my partners. My most recent was even nice enough to record me, God bless her soul! :lol:

So according to her 5 separate 10 minute recordings, she estimated 40-50+ interruptions/hour(this sounds crazy to me!) lasting 1-5 seconds of not breathing each interruption! :shock:
Many thanks in advance!

TAP PAP Nasal Pillow CPAP Mask with Mouthpiece

jimbud

Re: Advice On Initial Settings: ResMed S8 Autoset II

Post by jimbud » Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:33 pm

unloopme wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:03 pm

I have recently "inherited" a low hours S8 Auto II w/Heat Humid. Bought myself a Tap Pap Nasal Pillow.
I was hoping for some advice on where to start. I have read and searched a bit but decided not to piggyback elsewhere.

Apologies, I am still learning too. Did not realize Resmed S8 was a, for all practical purposes, brick. :oops:

Keep future posts in this thread. Helps experts know how thing have been and how they are going.

JPB

I did manage to bump you back up to the top. :)

Last edited by jimbud on Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:03 pm

Hey folks.....machine in question is the ResMed S8 machine. It is NOT compatible with SleepyHead/OSCAR.
It uses the smart card for data storage and the only software that can be used is ResScan and a needs a very hard to find smart card reader to get the data from the smart card to the computer.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:05 pm

Start with the basics I suppose...
Minimum of around 7 cm and max of 20 in auto mode and see what happens.
There is some data available on the machine's LCD screen. Probably enough to get you in the ball park.
Gotta start somewhere.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:24 pm

unloopme wrote:

I have no insurance and some severe sleep apnea for a long time according to my partners. My most recent was even nice enough to record me, God bless her soul! :lol:

So according to her 5 separate 10 minute recordings, she estimated 40-50+ interruptions/hour(this sounds crazy to me!) lasting 1-5 seconds of not breathing each interruption! :shock:
Many thanks in advance!
You must stop breathing 10+ seconds for it to be considered a sleep apnea event.

katebrownell86

Post by katebrownell86 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:46 am

Is it the disadvantage of ResMed S8 Autoset II, or it can happen with other CPAP masks also?

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:24 am

katebrownell86 wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:46 am
Is it the disadvantage of ResMed S8 Autoset II, or it can happen with other CPAP masks also?
ResMed S8 is not a CPAP mask..it is a CPAP machine

unloopme

Post by unloopme » Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:14 pm

Thanks for all the replies! It's greatly appreciated!

So, my equipment was too old to pick from the pulldown menus so I just put it in my signature.

Pugsy, many thanks for the starting point! I plan on giving it a shot tonight. I guess I'll report what I experience and go from there.
I don't know how severe my sleep apnea is. I just know I'm tired of waking up tired. I'm really hoping this is as life-changing as it has been for others.

I've had no luck as of yet on getting my hands on a card and reader for my unit, but I intend to keep at it.
I hope to get an actual sleep study and upgrade my machine eventually. I guess I'm just looking to take a shot at this since I know everyone is, and reacts differently to cpap therapy.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:23 pm

unloopme wrote:

Many thanks in advance!
If you want the "Provider" manual for that machine, PM me with your email address and I will send you a .pdf copy.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

unloopme

Post by unloopme » Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:47 pm

Wulfman... wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:23 pm

If you want the "Provider" manual for that machine, PM me with your email address and I will send you a .pdf copy.

Den

Absolutely, yes! Thanks very much!