Well that didn't go all that great/newbie questions

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Bubba1

Well that didn't go all that great/newbie questions

Post by Bubba1 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:46 am

Had a sleep study at the hospital last night using a CPAP. Expected it to be a life changing event. Woke up several times during the night and didn't feel refreshed when getting out of bed. Huge disappointment as I expected it to be something great
Last edited by Bubba1 on Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

LSAT

Re: Well that didn't go all that great

Post by LSAT » Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:06 am

Did you just have the study or a titration with it? (Did they put a mask on you and have you sleep with pressure?)
It's rare to sleep well at a sleep study with all the wires attached.

Miss Emerita

Post by Miss Emerita » Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:15 am

The key to success for most people is patience. While a few CPAP users will have instant results, for most of us it just takes time. Partly our bodies need to recover and adapt, and partly we need time to make the treatment work for us. That might mean dealing with mask leaks, mask discomfort, pressure settings, humidity settings, or pillows, to name some common examples.

So don't be discouraged! It sounds as though you've already had a diagnosis of sleep apnea, and that means PAP treatment will be doing wonders for your short-term functioning and your long-term health.

And keep posting. There are wonderful people here who can give you help on all kinds of things. When you post, it'll be helpful if you keep everything in one thread.
Oscar software is available at https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/

K5MOW

Post by K5MOW » Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:17 am

LSAT wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:06 am
Did you just have the study or a titration with it? (Did they put a mask on you and have you sleep with pressure?)
It can also take some time to get the right mask and get the presser setting right. Most people do not see great night sleeps at first.

Roger
Moderate to Severe Sleep Apnea

Airsense 10 Autoset AirStart 10 CPAP

Mirage Quattro Full Face Mask

Roger

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:26 am

To the OP:

You did not answer the question as to whether you had a diagnostic test (no mask), a titration test (mask all night), or a split study (mask part of the night).

Assuming you get your own machine and your own mask (and they get it right for you), you should feel better over time.

Bubba1

Post by Bubba1 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:37 am

LSAT wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:06 am
titration with a mask. Sorry still coming up to speed with the lingo.

Cruiser1234

Post by Cruiser1234 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:39 am

Titrations are always fun. They keep raising the pressure until they finally find a setting that "works". When you have your machine and it is setup, it should be much better.

Miss Emerita

Post by Miss Emerita » Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:03 am

One more thought. Unless you need a specialized machine, many people here would recommend that you ask for a ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset. (Each word in that mouthful is important!) It is able to auto-adjust, provide some pressure relief when you exhale, and record data on an installed SD card. It also does a nice job of following your breathing.

Ograx

Post by Ograx » Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:02 pm

Took me until last week when I had to stop using machine to really notice how much better I was feeling and that it was working 100%.

Recovering from nasal surgery so have 2 weeks to go still.

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:57 pm

When you're in your own bed, it will be easier to sleep. That is if you have the right pressure and the right mask.

Also, make sure that the mask is not too tight, not too loose, and balanced (right to left). Too tight is a more common error than too loose for newbies. Adjust the humidity to comfort. Be careful to make the temperature in the room comfortable as well.

Bubba1

Post by Bubba1 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:18 pm

Hope I can use this to ask a few more questions.

Are the masks that just cover the nose more common or the ones that cover the nose and mouth? I found the nose only one a bit strange and not easy to breath

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:22 pm

Bubba1 wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:18 pm
Yes, please stick to this thread, though you might want to go back to the first post and change the subject line to something more descriptive.
Bubba1 wrote:
Are the masks that just cover the nose more common or the ones that cover the nose and mouth? I found the nose only one a bit strange and not easy to breath
I have no ideas what the popularity numbers are for different types of masks, just find the one that works best for you.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

zonker

Post by zonker » Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:27 pm

Bubba1 wrote:

1. yes please stay in this thread for a bit. you are doing exactly the right thing as far as i'm concerned. it's easier to keep track of you and who you are and so on. so stick to it! :lol:

2. i don't think one type of mask is more prevalent. a mask is a very personal choice. it's up to you to decide what works. for example, in my case, i use a pillow mask. i have a full beard and don't want to shave it off. this plus other reasons led me to my current mask, the p10.

good luck!
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

Auntducky59

Post by Auntducky59 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:17 pm

I had a split study. I was also told I had to sleep the entire night on my back in order to get accurate results. I was told that if I roll over or move, I would have to start over on another night. I told them I am a side sleeper & I WILL roll over, so they "bolstered" me with additional blankets, pillows, etc so that I would stay flat on my back. I had a very hard time getting to sleep because my back hurts when I lay on my back all night. It seems that JUST as I was dosing off, it was time to wake me up and slap a mask on my face. I must have slept some because they had to wake me up when it was morning. Most people have a miserable night during their sleep study. I did NOT wake up raring to go. I was still very sleepy. Things were better once I got home with my own equipment & the ability to lay on my side. I am on my 7th different mask, but only because it is new & I want to try it. You will find a mask you are happy with eventually. Don't give up

Miss Emerita

Post by Miss Emerita » Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:58 pm

If you found the nose-only mask off-putting, why not start with a full-face mask. Ideally you will be able to try on a couple of masks hooked up to a machine, and ideally you will have some help fitting them. But if your first mask doesn’t work for you, try another. Every face is different, so you want the one that works for YOU.