Routine endoscopic screening with known sleep apnea - accommodations?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
needzzzzs

Routine endoscopic screening with known sleep apnea - accommodations?

Post by needzzzzs » Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:49 pm

It's time for the every-ten-years colonoscopy (and in my case, upper GI endoscopy). It was during the last one that the sleep apnea was discovered since they needed to use a device in my nose to give me more air.

I have told the clinic I have known sleep apnea and will ask them specifically if I need to bring my machine, since I am having monitored anesthesia care. This means I won't know what they're doing while they are doing it, which is the only way I'll have the endoscopy.

Has anyone here who's had routine endoscopy like these been asked to bring their machines? If not, do you know how they accommodated the tendency to develop apnea due to relaxation during anesthesia?

Thanks much.

Deb

LSAT

Re: Routine endoscopic screening with known sleep apnea - accommodations?

Post by LSAT » Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:58 pm

With an endoscopy there is a hose down your throat...Very difficult to use a CPAP. Since they use conscious sedation, you should be awake in just a few minutes...plus...there is an anesthesiologist monitoring. I have had several procedures...both ends...and have never needed my CPAP.

Jas_williams

Post by Jas_williams » Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:26 pm

LSAT wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:58 pm
With an endoscopy there is a hose down your throat...Very difficult to use a CPAP. Since they use conscious sedation, you should be awake in just a few minutes...plus...there is an anesthesiologist monitoring. I have had several procedures...both ends...and have never needed my CPAP.
When I had an endoscopy due to my sleep apnoea they would not sedate me instead I had it fully awake with a local anaesthetic throat spray not the most pleasant experience I must say the tenancy to gag was the worst

Bertha deBlues

Post by Bertha deBlues » Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:52 am

I had an endoscopy under sedation one year ago with no problems. I was told my machine would not be necessary. When I alerted the anesthesiologist to my SA, she promised she would look after me. She kept her word. For my own peace of mind, my CPAP was in the car so that my husband could retrieve it if needed. Best of luck with your procedure. [Edit: I also had a colonoscopy last year with the same results. In both cases they put a tube down my throat to keep my airway open; slight discomfort upon waking up but it went away quickly.]
Last edited by Bertha deBlues on Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
And in the end the love you take is equal to the love you make. - Paul McCartney

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:02 am

needzzzzs wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:49 pm
Routine endoscopic screening with known sleep apnea - accommodations?Quote needzzzzs
Gramps has had a colonoscopy every five years. He's had five or six and did not take his CPAP. It was unnecessary, and each time he woke up feeling fine.

dreamingofdreaming

Post by dreamingofdreaming » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:10 am

I have to have a colonoscopy every 3 years. I get sedated and have told them about my sleep apnea. They assured me that they would keep me breathing. I don't have to take my machine. I have no memory of anything going on, so I don't know if they use anything.

PST

Post by PST » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:19 am

I work with hospitals on medical malpractice liability issues, and as a result, I spend a lot of time talking to risk managers and patient safety officers. There was a time when ignorance about sleep apnea posed some dangers during endoscopic procedures, but everyone is highly aware of the issues now. As long as the team has notice of your sleep apnea, they will take the necessary steps. I've had plenty of colonoscopies myself (colon cancer veteran) and a couple of uppers as well, and I've never been asked to bring my own machine. In the last ten years, as far as I can remember, the only malpractice cases I've seen arising out of failure to prevent hypoxia due to sedation in a patient with sleep apnea have been when the patient had not been diagnosed but exhibited signs or symptoms that should have aroused suspicion and led to testing.

SnoringInOregon

Post by SnoringInOregon » Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:55 am

I'm having a colonoscopy next month. I was told to bring my CPAP machine with me. The machine is only for use in recovery. As others here have mentioned, an anesthesiologist (should) keep a careful eye on you during the procedure itself.

It's probably the same for an endoscopic screening. They probably want you to have your machine on hand for the recovery time.

I'll bring my machine but I doubt if I'll need it. Whenever I've had a colonoscopy they bring me out of sedation/anesthesia just as the doctor is finishing up. I don't need to sleep afterward. The recovery time is (mostly?) for liability reasons.

RobertS975

Post by RobertS975 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:03 pm

Speaking as a gastroenterologist who has performed many tens of thousands of procedures, there are many variables at play here. After administering the IV sedation to my patients for many years, our hospital system switched over to using propafol as the sedation agent administered by anesthesia trained MDs and nurse anesthetics. Sleep apnea is quite noticeable after sedation and it is something we dealt with daily. Most of the time, these patients did not have a diagnosis of OSA yet.

None of my patients ever brought a CPAP machine to their procedure that I was aware of. My main points are to realize that we would see numerous instances of obstructive apnea every day...it was nothing unusual. And most occurred in patients who were not diagnosed.

The intra-procedure staff and recovery staff are well versed in dealing with the issue.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:53 pm

Every one should have essential medical information wtitten down, and available
for medical personnel to consult.
You never know when you might miss mentioning something for one reason or another.
It is a shame that medical alert jewelry and accessories are treated like a cash cow.

atab

Post by atab » Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:19 pm

I get an endoscopy every two years. About 10 years ago, I was asked to bring the cpap. It is for the recovery period. But recently, they did not ask for CPAP. When I asked they said it is not necessary.
atab

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:39 pm

RobertS975 wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:03 pm
Speaking as a gastroenterologist who has performed many tens of thousands of procedures, there are many variables at play here.
You guys may be on the front lines of apnea diagnosis. I have two friends who were told to get sleep studies after their gastroenterologists observed apnea during their colonoscopies.

Heart surgeons are also finding it.

kbh209

Post by kbh209 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:23 pm

Went under in the main hospital last year for a GI Endoscopy because the way my chest caves in scared the outpatient anesthesiologist team. Didn't need the CPAP machine but they did monitor my apnea while I was sleeping. I will say this though, I'm still a bit disturbed how alert I was when I woke up in the recovery area, making fart jokes and joining in on the Lottery fever discussion. :shock:
Phillips Dreamstation 2 Auto CPAP with Humidifier **

Becca8104

Post by Becca8104 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:58 pm

I had a recent colonoscopy & upper GI scope early this year since being diagnosed with apnea. I told them I had apnea before they proceeded & they informed me they were already aware of that. Both procedures happened with anesthesia & without me needing to bring my CPAP equipment.
“We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. ” —Aristotle.

katebrownell86

Post by katebrownell86 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:03 am

My dad had endoscopy operation, he was not able to use CPAP mask. Now I am having sleep apnea, but luckily I can use CPAP mask. I did not have any operation.