Is IT Carbon Dioxide?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
sidesleeper7

Is IT Carbon Dioxide?

Post by sidesleeper7 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:52 pm

Hello sleep apnea world,

I have a new airsense 10 machine / w resmed nasal mask, just started this treatment.... AHI is under 2, pressure 8.2 - just started treatment 3 days ago, yesterday felt kind of foggy and today is better but I am breathing in deeper breathes and exhaling shorter breathes on the cpap and was wondering if the "OFF" feeling could be carbon dioxide re-breahing -- I sure hope not.. still feel kind of foggy today and a little "OFF" -- any advice is appreciated :D
ResMed AirSense 10 Auto - Resmed Airfit N30 Mask

Julie

Re: Is IT Carbon Dioxide?

Post by Julie » Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:01 pm

Unless your CO2 vents are blocked (bedding, etc) the CO2 should not be rebreathed, but I wonder if you have tried exhalation pressure relief - a feature on your machine>?

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:21 pm

sidesleeper7 wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:52 pm
Hello sleep apnea world,

I have a new airsense 10 machine / w resmed nasal mask, just started this treatment.... AHI is under 2, pressure 8.2 - just started treatment 3 days ago, yesterday felt kind of foggy and today is better but I am breathing in deeper breathes and exhaling shorter breathes on the cpap and was wondering if the "OFF" feeling could be carbon dioxide re-breahing -- I sure hope not.. still feel kind of foggy today and a little "OFF" -- any advice is appreciated :D
If you actually are inhaling more than exhaling, according to the machine, then you're likely exhaling through your mouth.

It's impossible to inhale more than you exhale.

Post some charts.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

sidesleeper7

Post by sidesleeper7 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:27 pm

Not exhaling through my mouth, and I am taking deeper breathes in, and then when exhaling it is a shorter breath out...its basically 2 seconds of breathing in and 1 second of breathing out .. don't think this could be considered hyperventilating .. but from the recording that's what I am seeing ..

palerider wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:21 pm
sidesleeper7 wrote:
Hello sleep apnea world,

If you actually are inhaling more than exhaling, according to the machine, then you're likely exhaling through your mouth.

It's impossible to inhale more than you exhale.

Post some charts.

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:32 pm

sidesleeper7 wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:27 pm
Not exhaling through my mouth, and I am taking deeper breathes in, and then when exhaling it is a shorter breath out...its basically 2 seconds of breathing in and 1 second of breathing out .. don't think this could be considered hyperventilating .. but from the recording that's what I am seeing ..
That's normal sleep breathing. A fast, sharp exhale that trails off to a pause before the next inhale.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

sidesleeper7

Post by sidesleeper7 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:08 pm

palerider wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:32 pm
sidesleeper7 wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:27 pm
That's normal sleep breathing. A fast, sharp exhale that trails off to a pause before the next inhale.
I always thought if you breath in for 2 seconds, then you should exhale for 2 seconds,... something is off, today I am having trouble focusing and concentrating .. feeling off 'Kilter' -- is this to be expected? I definitely can say I don't feel BETTER, than from a few days ago when I started treatment... hopefully this goes away or I figure it out or this cpap will be going in the closet! Thanks for any help! ill try to post a audio clip of my breathing pattern if I can figure out how :shock:

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:17 pm

Here's the deal about carbon dioxide IF (big IF) you were re-breathing it in your mask...it would normalize relatively quickly once you took the mask off if (big if) the mask and your breathing was the problem.
So feeling "off" the rest of the day shouldn't be happening because of the mask anyway.
Now it might be happening because of some other problem or issue that is respiratory related.
I suggest you have a chat with your doctor if you feel your respiration is acting weird. There are some tests which can be done that can verify carbon dioxide levels as well as other respiratory function levels.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

sidesleeper7

Post by sidesleeper7 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:28 pm

trying to post audio but getting error message :

Error
Invalid file extension: New Recording 7 copy.m4a

sidesleeper7

Post by sidesleeper7 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:31 pm

Pugsy wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:17 pm
Here's the deal about carbon dioxide IF (big IF) you were re-breathing it in your mask...it would normalize relatively quickly once you took the mask off if (big if) the mask and your breathing was the problem.
So feeling "off" the rest of the day shouldn't be happening because of the mask anyway.
Now it might be happening because of some other problem or issue that is respiratory related.
I suggest you have a chat with your doctor if you feel your respiration is acting weird. There are some tests which can be done that can verify carbon dioxide levels as well as other respiratory function levels.
I get it but just trying to figure this out.. I thought cpap treatment was supposed to "help" , not give feelings of lack of focus and concentration the day after using.. I am just starting treatment but this isn't what I expected by any means.. I feel kind of foggy headed and off kilter, no increase in energy or anything else. ……….. :|

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:40 pm

sidesleeper7 wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:08 pm

I always thought if you breath in for 2 seconds, then you should exhale for 2 seconds,...
Nope, just look at anybody's normal sleep breathing trace.
sidesleeper7 wrote:
something is off, today I am having trouble focusing and concentrating .. feeling off 'Kilter' -- is this to be expected? I definitely can say I don't feel BETTER, than from a few days ago when I started treatment... hopefully this goes away or I figure it out or this cpap will be going in the closet! Thanks for any help! ill try to post a audio clip of my breathing pattern if I can figure out how :shock:
If you want help, paste charts, putting the machine in the closet is simply stupid.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:46 pm

sidesleeper7 wrote:
Hello sleep apnea world,

Something doesn't make sense here.
You registered on this forum in January of 2013!!!
What was your previous machine or machines?
What were your settings on your previous machine(s)?

Since your pressure is over 6 cm., you're NOT rebreathing CO2.

But, you could try a higher pressure setting and see if that helps.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

sidesleeper7

Post by sidesleeper7 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:48 pm

palerider wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:40 pm
sidesleeper7 wrote:

I always thought if you breath in for 2 seconds, then you should exhale for 2 seconds,...
Nope, just look at anybody's normal sleep breathing trace.
sidesleeper7 wrote:
something is off, today I am having trouble focusing and concentrating .. feeling off 'Kilter' -- is this to be expected? I definitely can say I don't feel BETTER, than from a few days ago when I started treatment... hopefully this goes away or I figure it out or this cpap will be going in the closet! Thanks for any help! ill try to post a audio clip of my breathing pattern if I can figure out how :shock:
If you want help, paste charts, putting the machine in the closet is simply stupid.
Where do I get charts? Right now I just signed up for Resmed MyAir.

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:24 pm

sidesleeper7 wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:48 pm

See my sig? There. Oscar.
Myair is a cute toy, but useless for solving problems.

sidesleeper7

Post by sidesleeper7 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:50 pm

palerider wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:24 pm
sidesleeper7 wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:48 pm

See my sig? There. Oscar.
Myair is a cute toy, but useless for solving problems.
OK thanks I just downloaded the file, now do I need to insert the SD card from my Cpap machine into my computer to pull the data??

ragtopcircus

Post by ragtopcircus » Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:55 pm

If my sinuses are constricted and the pressure relief is set too low, then I tend not to exhale deep enough. That makes it hard to take in enough air on the next breath. It FEELS like I've taken a huge breath and stretched my chest as far as it can possibly go, but also like I'm still not getting enough air. That's because I really didn't take in much fresh air at all - it just felt like I did. That in turn leaves me feeling tired and foggy the next day, both from the oxygen deprivation and from all the muscles that can be enlisted for breathing being exhausted (which makes breathing tough all through the following day). The experience is similar to asthma (which I know well), except the restriction is in the nose.