Struggling to wear mask regularly

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
sunshine32

Struggling to wear mask regularly

Post by sunshine32 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:40 am

Hi,

I’ve had a CPAP for several months now but lately I’ve been really struggling with remembering to put it on, and getting to sleep. I have painsomnia from my hEDS, and anxiety that’s preventing me from sleeping. It takes me hours to fall asleep, no exaggeration. In that time I often forget to wear my mask, as I tend to have little warning about when I fall asleep. If I’ve been awake for hours, done all the sleep techniques, painkillers not giving me relief, I can to the point of feeling I’d rather get some sleep without it than none with it. I know this isn’t a good mentality but I get so desperate for sleep I stop caring.
Can anyone please give me some advice on getting into a better routine of wearing my mask every night without fail?

gv280z

Re: Struggling to wear mask regularly

Post by gv280z » Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:18 am

https://youtu.be/TgC_S09Xea4

Well, if you don't want to be this guy, pay more attention to your mask. At the same time lower your risk of heart attack, heart disease, high blood pressure, rear ending someone in traffic because you dozed off at the wheel, and raise your mental acuity, memory, overall brain function, and maybe get a boost to weight loss, if that's been an issue. You already have the tools to help yourself, it's just being in need of a little reality check and PRACTICE.

Of course it's not easy to learn how to sleep with a cpap machine and headgear/mask attached to your face, but you don't really have a choice. So you need to make it happen, life and death stuff here.

My apologies for being brutal and honest but this isn't a game to mess around with.
Yay :D For no more diaphragm cramps and dozing off while driving! :lol:

Julie

Post by Julie » Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:41 am

Have you looked into/ considered other possibilities - dental device, etc?

Miss Emerita

Post by Miss Emerita » Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:19 am

Sunshine, your experience sounds rough. If you haven’t already, please talk with your doctor about the anxiety and the difficulty falling asleep. There may be some medications that would give you some help.

Meanwhile, try hard to adhere to the guidelines below for better sleep, paying special attention to this one: “If you don’t fall asleep after 20 minutes, get out of bed.”

Keep a consistent sleep schedule. Get up at the same time every day, even on weekends or during vacations.
Set a bedtime that is early enough for you to get at least 7 hours of sleep.
Don’t go to bed unless you are sleepy.
If you don’t fall asleep after 20 minutes, get out of bed.
Establish a relaxing bedtime routine.
Use your bed only for sleep and sex.
Make your bedroom quiet and relaxing. Keep the room at a comfortable, cool temperature.
Limit exposure to bright light in the evenings.
Turn off electronic devices at least 30 minutes before bedtime.
Don’t eat a large meal before bedtime. If you are hungry at night, eat a light, healthy snack.
Exercise regularly and maintain a healthy diet.
Avoid consuming caffeine in the late afternoon or evening.
Avoid consuming alcohol before bedtime.
Reduce your fluid intake before bedtime.
Oscar software is available at https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/

TropicalDiver

Post by TropicalDiver » Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:57 am

sunshine32 wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:40 am
Can anyone please give me some advice on getting into a better routine of wearing my mask every night without fail?
Serious answer: Put it on when you first go to bed. I put my mask on while sitting on the edge of the bed (but with the hose not connected). I then lay down with and get my pillow right. Then I connect the hose and take two deep breaths to start (it is set to autostart). If you have a dependable sense of when sleep is near, and the motivation in that state to don the mask at that point, great. Otherwise...

In terms of sleep anxiety and insomnia, this is something to discuss with medical staff. Cognitive behavioral therapy and/or medications may be appropriate.
Machine: Aircurve 10 Vauto (Prior S9 VPAP)
Mask: Quattro Air FFM and AirTouch F20 FFM

kteague

Post by kteague » Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:07 pm

In my early times of CPAP use I made a rule for myself that I would never even sit on the edge of the bed if my mask weren't already on. My sleep could have such sudden onset I couldn't trust myself. I remember sitting on the edge of my bed and waking up a few hours later still sitting, so I opted to stand and put my gear on before sitting. As I caught up on my sleep, I was able to sit without falling asleep. But 14 years later I still do not allow myself to lie down before masking up. About your inability to fall asleep - that's another story. I'm guessing with your medical condition that bedding comfort is of high importance to you. I was surprised how much better my joint pain was after I changed beds. Are you on any meds that might be contributing to your sleep issues? Any mood disorders known to affect sleep? How's your thyroid? Any signs of having periodic limb movements? Best wishes in figuring things out and getting better sleep.

Auntducky59

Post by Auntducky59 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:58 pm

I am sorry you are having a hard time. I was scared silly by my sleep technician & sleep doctor, so I have been pretty compliant. I only had 1 night in non-compliance because I was spending the night in Hospice care waiting for my MIL to pass on. I was not counting on having to spend the night, so I didn't bring my CPAP equipment with me and couldn't easily go home to get it (100 +miles away from home). I notice you are using the F30 which is a low profile FF mask. I suggest you put your mask on during the day and wear it while watching TV, reading a book, using a computer, etc... That's what I did to begin with until it became a habit. I actually feel "naked" without it. Good luck and I hope you figure this out because your life really does depend on it.

Chris8243

Post by Chris8243 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:37 pm

It sounds like you go to bed without the mask on, then put it on when you think your ready to fall asleep? That's what I understood.

I put mine on when I go to bed even when I'm not trying to fall asleep right away. I enjoy watching Netfix on my iPad in bed at night, so I do! Bad habit, well aware of that. Probably 50-50 whether I fall asleep watching and find it on the bed next to me in the morning or decide to put it down to sleep. But the mask is on either way, I simply put it on, get all comfy, and watch a show.

Auntducky59

Post by Auntducky59 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:55 pm

I think most of us put our mask on BEFORE we go to bed or attempt to go to sleep. I have lied there awake with my mask on & then getting up to read a bit to help me fall asleep. I keep the mask on the whole time. That is the trick I think, put your mask on as soon as you can before lying down.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:35 pm

Auntducky59 wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:55 pm
That is the trick I think, put your mask on as soon as you can before lying down.
So, like, right after I get up in the morning?

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

jimbud

Post by jimbud » Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:29 pm

palerider wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:35 pm
Auntducky59 wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:55 pm
That is the trick I think, put your mask on as soon as you can before lying down.
So, like, right after I get up in the morning?

:lol:

Auntducky59

Post by Auntducky59 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:11 pm

I am going to assume you are kidding

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:23 pm

Auntducky59 wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:11 pm
I am going to assume you are kidding
That is *literally* what you said.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

katebrownell86

Post by katebrownell86 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:43 am

I have also faced some problem with my CPAP mask, I was not comfortable with that. Later I started using CPAP mask for side sleepers. It has been matched with my sleeping position.

Kiralynx

Post by Kiralynx » Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:08 am

I get ready for bed, brush my teeth and all, and then put on my "brandy keg" (chin strap) and mask and turn on the machine. THEN I lie down and get comfortable. I typically read on my Kindle since I can turn off all the lights and still see it. I also have a bed shelf, because I usually doze off and drop the thing. It turns itself off after awhile.

Never, ever, lie down without your mask, even just for a minute.

I scolded my new-to-CPAP husband over the weekend -- he went in the back without my knowing it and lay down because his back was aching. I came back awhile later and he was conked out, snoring like a house-a-fire, and gasping. I woke him, and handed him his mask and chinstrap and told him, "Never, EVER lie down without this, even for just 'a few minutes.' NEVER. You know I often lie down after a day of Barn Hunting -- have you ever seen me do so without my mask in the last eleven years?" He acknowledged he hadn't.

Beastie, 2008-10-28. NEW Beastie, PRS1 960, 2014-05-14. NEWER Beastie, Dream Station ASV, 2017-10-17. PadaCheek Hosecover. Homemade Brandy Keg Chin Support. TapPap Mask.
Min PS = 4, Max PS = 8
Epap Range = 6 - 7.5