Speak to Me of UPSes (Uninterruptable Power Supply)

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Drowsy Dancer

Speak to Me of UPSes (Uninterruptable Power Supply)

Post by Drowsy Dancer » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:24 am

Greetings!

I face the following challenge in off-grid living.

Our new house in the wilderness is run on solar power with a backup generator. Power systems of this sort being somewhat finicky, we sometimes run out of stored power in our battery bank before sunrise, and the generator, for reasons known only to itself, fails to kick in, thus killing the power to the house until the sun comes out or someone gets up and turns the generator on manually.

My portable backup battery is a Paul C. Bond Vagabond Mini (hereafter "VM"). I have found that it is difficult, when awakened from a sound sleep in the middle of the night, to unplug my CPAP in the dark and plug it into the VM.

I tried plugging the CPAP (PR560P with humidifier and heated hose) into the VM and the VM into the wall, with the VM switched on, but when the power goes off, the VM can't always sustain the machine with humidifier and heated hose until it is time for me to get up.

It seems to me that what I need is an old-school UPS (uninterruptable power supply) that will keep my system going for a couple of hours, and that I can leave plugged in at all times with my CPAP plugged into it. I do *not* want to use a car battery because reasons.

So: recommendations, please?

How we squander our hours of pain. -- Rilke

realshelby

Re: Speak to Me of UPSes (Uninterruptable Power Supply)

Post by realshelby » Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:29 am

I think one of the old computer power supplies would be perfect! These have ( used to have?) lead acid batteries in them and you could get different capacities. There may be units now with lithium batteries that are lighter and smaller. But, regardless, they do give you hours of really smooth AC power when needed.
Min 7 Max 20 (cmH2O)

Drowsy Dancer

Post by Drowsy Dancer » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:15 am

Well, yes. I was hoping for people's experience with particular models. There is quite a price range and I don't want a $600 model if the $149 version works.

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:22 am

UPSs are terrible solutions for CPAP use.

The are expensive, terrible capacity and don't provide DC output.

Here's a list of good UPS options for CPAP use:

babydinosnoreless

Post by babydinosnoreless » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:27 am

I know absolutely zip about them but this is what my husband got for me for when we have the occasional power outage

Drowsy Dancer

Post by Drowsy Dancer » Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:01 am

Dog Slobber wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:22 am

So....do you have any constructive alternative suggestions, given the specific circumstances I describe?

Perhaps my initial post was unclear.

I have a backup battery. However, switching to the backup battery at 3 a.m. in the dark when I have been awakened by my machine turning off is difficult, and so I am looking for a more seamless switchover when the wall power fails. My current backup battery configuration does not permit this.

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:13 am

Drowsy Dancer wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:24 am
... but when the power goes off, the VM can't always sustain the machine with humidifier and heated hose until it is time for me to get up.

It seems to me that what I need is an old-school UPS (uninterruptable power supply) that will keep my system going for a couple of hours, and that I can leave plugged in at all times with my CPAP plugged into it. I do *not* want to use a car battery because reasons.
Anything but a REALLY big UPS will have the same problem you have with your current UPS.
The thing you have has 130Wh. a lot of that power is wasted because you're taking the battery voltage, running it though and inverter (and losing power as heat) to convert it to 120 volts, then you're running it through the regular power supply (and losing power as heat) to convert it to 12 volts.

Capnloki, who knows these kind of things, says that's probably eating up half your battery.

I don't know what 'reasons' it's because, but a 12 volt mobility scooter battery, (not a car battery) really is the least expensive, most capable power solution.

Something like Capnloki's thread, with a battery box, charger, battery, and 12 volt cable, would easily get you through until the power came back up.

If you want a UPS, you'll need a *big* one, plus you'll need to do something to silence the "HEY THE POWER HAS GONE OUT" alarms.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Drowsy Dancer

Post by Drowsy Dancer » Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:17 am

palerider wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:13 am

I don't know what 'reasons' it's because, but a 12 volt mobility scooter battery, (not a car battery) really is the least expensive, most capable power solution.
Heh. Honestly, because, despite being in the wilderness, my bedroom looks really nice and I thought a car battery sitting beside my bed would look really stupid.

I suppose I could put it in a plastic box.

I am off to read capnloki's thread.

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:29 am

Drowsy Dancer wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:17 am
palerider wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:13 am

Heh. Honestly, because, despite being in the wilderness, my bedroom looks really nice and I thought a car battery sitting beside my bed would look really stupid.

I suppose I could put it in a plastic box.

I am off to read capnloki's thread.
You absolutely should have it in a box, it could even be a stylish and/or decorated box...

You DO NOT want to have something fall on the battery and short out the connections.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Jack Burton

Post by Jack Burton » Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:39 pm

Drowsy Dancer wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:01 am
So....do you have any constructive alternative suggestions, given the specific circumstances I describe?
I had one of these .https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MA4YVNP/ref=dp_prsubs_2 but they are not well rated.

You mentioned a "couple of hours", don't you mean ~8 hours?
I don't think the unit I link will run your pump with humidifier and heated hose for more than a "couple of hours".

Last edited by Jack Burton on Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:42 pm

Drowsy Dancer wrote:
Dog Slobber wrote:

I have a backup battery. However, switching to the backup battery at 3 a.m. in the dark when I have been awakened by my machine turning off is difficult, and so I am looking for a more seamless switchover when the wall power fails. My current backup battery configuration does not permit this.
Your post was very clear.

You didn't want a battery solution and wanted a UPS solution.

Getting you away from a UPS was the most constructive thing that could have happened. A UPS would not have solved your problem, you would have just thrown money away.

As undesirable as a DIY battery option sounds to you, given what you've described, that really is your best option. To improve your solution you also need to get away from AC you're wasting 40% of your capacity. Get a 12V DC power cable/converter for your system.

Also recognize that you're using your battery system different than most. Most of us are looking for a backup solution in case of power fails. You're looking for a nightly battery solution. Therefore you're going to be routinely charge/discharge cycling your battery regularly. This reduces battery life dramatically and limits your reasonable option.
Last edited by Dog Slobber on Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jack Burton

Post by Jack Burton » Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:50 pm

Drowsy Dancer wrote:
I had one of these https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MA4YVNP/ref=dp_prsubs_2 but they are not well rated.

Do you use a humidifier?
How about heated hose?
Both of those things increase the amount of battery capacity required.

Drowsy Dancer

Post by Drowsy Dancer » Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:00 pm

Dog Slobber wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:42 pm
Drowsy Dancer wrote:
Dog Slobber wrote:

Your post was very clear.

You didn't want a battery solution and wanted a UPS solution.

Getting you away from a UPS was the most constructive thing that could have happened. A UPS would not have solved your problem, you would have just thrown money away.

As undesirable as a DIY battery option sounds to you, given what you've described, that really is your best option. To improve your solution you also need to get away from AC you're wasting 40% of your capacity. Get a 12V DC power cable/converter for your system.

Also recognize that you're using your battery system different than most. Most of us are looking for a backup solution in case of power fails. You're looking for a nightly battery solution. Therefore you're going to be routinely charge/discharge cycling your battery regularly. This reduces battery life dramatically and limits your reasonable option.
Thank you, that is a substantive answer. I do not mind snark when it is accompanied by substance, to be sure. Your snark alone was unpersuasive regarding the inadequacy of a UPS in my situation*; the direction to Capnloki's thread accomplished that goal much more efficiently and probably took less effort.

*I too am actually looking for a backup system in the event of power failure; it's just that I am experiencing power failures more regularly than folks on the grid. Our power doesn't go out every single night.

Last edited by Drowsy Dancer on Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Drowsy Dancer

Post by Drowsy Dancer » Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:02 pm

Jack Burton wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:50 pm
Drowsy Dancer wrote:
I had one of these https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MA4YVNP/ref=dp_prsubs_2 but they are not well rated.

Do you use a humidifier?
How about heated hose?
Both of those things increase the amount of battery capacity required.
Actually, I did mean a couple of hours, for example, this morning the power went off at about 5:30 a.m. and I switched to my Paul C. Buff from 5:30 am to 7:30 am, which ran the machine with humidifier and heated hose.

grayghost4

Post by grayghost4 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:32 pm

I think the best solution would be to add a battery to your solar system so it will last through the night .... Or fix the generator so it starts automatically.

that would make it available to the rest of the house also.
If you're not part of the solution you're just scumming up the bottom of the beaker!

Get the Clinicians manual here : http://apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-press ... tup-manual