New to CPAP, afraid I will go deaf

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
serabeth

New to CPAP, afraid I will go deaf

Post by serabeth » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:47 pm

Hi :),

I just got my CPAP 2 days ago and I don't really know much about it. I don't like the pulmonary office that prescribed it to me...I only met my doctor once for like 5 minutes, told her I thought I had sleep apnea, she said okay let's do a sleep study and then left without explaining anything to me. Then she didn't send me paperwork that explained what would happen during the sleep study (they got mad because I put on moisturizer before they needed to apply electrodes) and then she didn't even call me to say the diagnosis had been confirmed. I just got a call about 5 weeks after the study saying my machine was ready for pickup.

Anyways....I have a few questions and concerns. First of all, I have woken up the past 2 nights with mild pressure in my ears that went away when I took off my mask and yawned. I'm worried that this could become a problem over time and lead to hearing loss....is this an issue for anyone else? I almost can't breathe out of my nose at all when I lie down, if that is relevant. And can I use ear plugs with the CPAP? My boyfriend and I usually sleep in different beds because neither of us could stand the other's snoring....lol.....but when we travel we usually sleep in the same bed and I have to use earplugs or I'll never sleep with how loudly he snores.

Aside from the ear issues, do I really have to disassemble everything daily and get it all super clean? I don't really have time to do that....do you think a quick daily wipe down of the mask and washing the rest of it once a week will suffice :P? More often if I get sick of course.

I don't know if it's psychological or not, but the past 2 days I have easily been able to get up when my alarm rang and my head felt clearer than it has in a while. I also have this thing that I do when sitting at my desk where I start to sleep (slow breathing etc.) and then start to pass out and my head starts falling towards my desk and then I catch myself before it hits the desk....Yeah, I didn't do that these past 2 nights so I'm hoping that means it's working :). I also ran a couple of errands on the way home, which I haven't had the energy to do in months.

Last edited by serabeth on Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

palerider

Re: New to CPAP, afraid I will go deaf

Post by palerider » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:20 pm

serabeth wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:47 pm
I'm worried that this could become a problem over time and lead to hearing loss....is this an issue for anyone else?
I've only been on cpap since late '09, so nine years so far... just had a hearing test at Costco today (free for members, so I said "why not") and my hearing is a little better than average for my age group. (bit of loss in the higher frequencies, but normal).

So, no, no hearing problems related to CPAP.
serabeth wrote:
And can I use ear plugs with the CPAP?
I do... those cheap 3m 'neons" that you get from amazon 200 in a box) little noises (like the AC coming on and going off will bother me when sleeping (again, no hearing loss)).
serabeth wrote:
My boyfriend and I usually sleep in different beds because neither of us could stand the other's snoring....lol.....but when we travel we usually sleep in the same bed and I have to use earplugs or I'll never sleep with how loudly he snores.
Get him on cpap, it'll be better for his health.
serabeth wrote:
Aside from the ear issues, do I really have to disassemble everything daily and get it all super clean?
Nope. I clean my stuff (at most) weekly... (never bother with the hose though) though I'll usually wipe off the mask cushion every day to remove facial oils, so it works better.
serabeth wrote:
I don't really have time to do that....do you think a quick daily wipe down of the mask and washing the rest of it once a week will suffice :P? More often if I get sick of course.
It's an unfounded myth that you'll get sick from a cpap, or 'reinfect yourself', since the germs on a cpap are overwhelmingly from you, and when you get 'well' after a cold, it's because your immune system has learned to take out those germs.
serabeth wrote:
I don't know if it's psycyhological or not, but the past 2 days I have easily been able to get up when my alarm rang and my head felt clearer than it has in a while. I also have this thing that I do when sitting at my desk where I start to sleep (slow breathing etc.) and then start to pass out and my head starts falling towards my desk and then I catch myself before it hits the desk....Yeah, I didn't do that these past 2 nights so I'm hoping that means it's working :). I also ran a couple of errands on the way home, which I haven't had the energy to do in months.
Not psychological.... physiological... the benefits of getting *rest and recuperation* at night.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

serabeth

Post by serabeth » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:36 pm

palerider wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:20 pm
Have you ever gotten the pressure/popping in your ears before, though? I'm wondering if it could be related to my sinus issues. The pressure doesn't hurt so it's not alarming, and frankly I would rather suffer a bit of hearing loss than not be able to breathe, so it's not a huge deal but it still makes me a little nervous.

And as far as psychological vs. physiological, I was just surprised that I noticed a benefit instantly. From what I've read, it usually takes a couple of weeks to months. Also, I woke up several times each night due to the mask being annoying so it was hard to believe that that was more restful than my normal sleep, which I usually don't remember but I am always tired, even when I wake up.

I wish my boyfriend would get a CPAP lol....then I wouldn't have to put up with the snoring when we travel :P.

Anyways, thank you for the help with all of my questions!

TropicalDiver

Post by TropicalDiver » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:50 pm

The ear thing is real but not dangerous. The feeling happens when the pressure in your outer ear is different than the pressure in your inner ear. The same feeling can occur when ascending/descending on a plane. If you are congested, it is more difficult to equalize you ears.

So, how much pressure change is there? If your machine is set to 14, that is 14 cm of water. That would equate to going up 120 ft in an elevator (assuming my math is correct). So enough you can notice, but much too small to cause any damage (I suspect blowing your nose generates much greater pressures).
Machine: Aircurve 10 Vauto (Prior S9 VPAP)
Mask: Quattro Air FFM and AirTouch F20 FFM

serabeth

Post by serabeth » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:13 pm

TropicalDiver wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:50 pm
The ear thing is real but not dangerous. The feeling happens when the pressure in your outer ear is different than the pressure in your inner ear. The same feeling can occur when ascending/descending on a plane. If you are congested, it is more difficult to equalize you ears.

So, how much pressure change is there? If your machine is set to 14, that is 14 cm of water. That would equate to going up 120 ft in an elevator (assuming my math is correct). So enough you can notice, but much too small to cause any damage (I suspect blowing your nose generates much greater pressures).
That makes me feel better, thanks! And yeah, it’s not alarming or painful and I can still hear; just a gentle pop and it goes back to normal. My machine is set to a therapeutic pressure of 11, ramps up from 6 over 45 min (takes me a while to fall asleep and I do not like getting blasted with 11 right away), and has a max pressure set of 16.

TropicalDiver

Post by TropicalDiver » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:39 pm

Happy to help. Coming from a SCUBA background, I had initial concerns about the pressure when I began my treatment. Until I actually did the math!

CPAP pressures seem much higher than they actually are.
Machine: Aircurve 10 Vauto (Prior S9 VPAP)
Mask: Quattro Air FFM and AirTouch F20 FFM

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:45 pm

serabeth wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:36 pm
palerider wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:20 pm
Have you ever gotten the pressure/popping in your ears before, though?
Sometimes, yeah... but I think it's something that isn't as much anymore as it used to be... just now and then now.
serabeth wrote:
I'm wondering if it could be related to my sinus issues. The pressure doesn't hurt so it's not alarming, and frankly I would rather suffer a bit of hearing loss than not be able to breathe, so it's not a huge deal but it still makes me a little nervous.
It's loud noises that cause hearing loss... not the pressure differential that cpap causes.
serabeth wrote:
From what I've read, it usually takes a couple of weeks to months.
Nope, some people feel an immediate change.
serabeth wrote:
Also, I woke up several times each night due to the mask being annoying so it was hard to believe that that was more restful than my normal sleep, which I usually don't remember but I am always tired, even when I wake up.
You were being waked up *constantly* with apnea... you just don't *remember it*.
serabeth wrote:
I wish my boyfriend would get a CPAP lol....then I wouldn't have to put up with the snoring when we travel :P.
You're opening the door to his improving.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:47 pm

TropicalDiver wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:39 pm
Happy to help. Coming from a SCUBA background, I had initial concerns about the pressure when I began my treatment. Until I actually did the math!

Indeed, even 20cmh2o is just a fraction of one PSI, far less than what it takes to blow up a balloon. it's a very low pressure.

Greg Riddle

Post by Greg Riddle » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:34 am

I would guess the ear pressure is allergies or sinus issues. I used to get it until I started using flonose to control my allergies.

Thumper68

Post by Thumper68 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:36 am

palerider wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:47 pm
TropicalDiver wrote:

Indeed, even 20cmh2o is just a fraction of one PSI, far less than what it takes to blow up a balloon. it's a very low pressure.
[/quote)

Per my google fu (sometimes questionable :D ) 20cmh2o is equal to .28 psi. That's not much.

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:24 pm

Thumper68 wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:36 am
palerider wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:47 pm
TropicalDiver wrote:

Per my google fu (sometimes questionable :D ) 20cmh2o is equal to 0.28 psi. That's not much.
Indeed, you are correct in your fu-ing :lol: :lol:

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:45 pm

Hearing loss generally occurs with infection or injury.
Cpap does not infect or injure you if properly used.
Infection is not an issue, as long as it wasn't already.
OTC gadgets that CLAIM to clean/disinfect your machine only clean your wallet.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:01 pm

serabeth wrote:
I wish my boyfriend would get a CPAP lol
Get a term life insurance policy for him with you as the beneficiary. Also, make sure his health insurance covers heart disease and stroke.

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:26 pm

To Serabeth:

You should worry about your boyfriend more so than your hearing!

What I suggest is that you clear your sinuses with saline solution, blowing you nose immediately before putting on CPAP, and any medications that your doctor may prescribe.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:43 pm

I still get the ear thing every now and then.
Been 9 years and no change in hearing.
Do whatever works to equalize the pressure when you are flying in an airplane and the altitude changes mess with the ears.
If you simply can't get them to clear up or equalize for some reason....see a doctor. There are rare situations where there is a problem with the Eustachian tube going from the nasal passageway to the inner ear and it doesn't function correctly.

My trick for equalizing the pressure...a big yawn. Others like to swallow or chew gum or whatever.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.