Neck pain from headgear

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Scenestealer1972

Neck pain from headgear

Post by Scenestealer1972 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:54 pm

I’m newly back on a cpap. New, vastly improved machine. No need to retread my terrible experience in the mid 00s that kept me from trying again until now.

So, having good luck with compliance and improved sleep, but the neck pain is KILLING me.

I’ve narrowed it down to pretty sure it’s the straps digging into the base of my skull at just the wrong spot. And not necessarily holding y neck in any weird position. Done some “lapratting” (as I just learned you folk call it), and had a little improvement last night, but at the cost of a lotta leaks and constantly waking up to tend to them.

I have an Airfit N20 mask, M. I have a giant noggin, so maybe I need a larger strap?

Guessing there’s already threads about this, but my searches couldn’t find them. Thanks!

Sheriff Buford

Re: Neck pain from headgear

Post by Sheriff Buford » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:01 am

If the straps are irritating the skin of your neck, that can easily be resolved by buying some strap covers from Karen at padacheeck.com.

If it is pressure from the headgear straps... they are way too tight! Your mask should float on your face and the straps should not dig in the head. You ought to able to reposition the straps without too much difficulty. If the straps are diggin' in your neck/head, then they are too tight. I know you need to tighten the mask straps to prevent leaks, but if you are experiencing pain, then the mask may not be for you. Some Resmed headgears may be able to interchangeable, but I wouldn't go that route... may need to look at another mask. Give this mask a little more time. It may just be a temporary thang'.

Sheriff

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:04 am

Welcome to the forum.

Maybe you need a larger strap.
Maybe you need a mask that doesn't come in contact with the base of the skull area at all.
Maybe a strap pad from padacheek.com will help diffuse the pressure enough that it doesn't cause you pain...you can maybe make your own.

I have learned over the years that some masks have headgear that simply creates pressure or tension at that same area of my neck which really aggravates my old arthritic cervical spine. For that reason I don't do well with masks that have strap placement like the N20 has.

Maybe take a look at the various other nasal cushion masks available and find one that doesn't have that sort of strap placement at all????
https://www.cpap.com/cpap-masks/nasal-cpap-mask.php

So many more options now than we had years ago...so there's no sense in trying to use a mask that causes us discomfort.
If we can't make it comfortable with the usual fixes then time to move on to a different mask.

Or even consider a nasal pillow mask which some have even less headgear to annoy our necks.
https://www.cpap.com/cpap-masks/nasal-p ... p-mask.php

If you really prefer the nasal cushion type...look at the ResMed Swift FX Nano or the Respironics DreamWear under the nose type of cushion. Neither of those has back strap placement similar to the N20 and I have tried and used both of those successfully and they didn't mess with my old neck at all.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Grace~~~

Post by Grace~~~ » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:34 am

Hi scenestealer ~~~
:)

I'm sorry you are experiencing pain. Definitely finding the right mask and learning to make it just as loose as possible while still getting a nice seal is the secret.

However, I think *I* also experienced terrible neck pain just from the "foreignness?" of sleeping with the mask. I was trying to hold my neck and head too long in certain positions that were compatible with the mask but not with my neck. :(

For *me* I had a huge issue with the hose coming off of my nose (like an elephant) and I was convinced it was the weight of the hose that was causing my pain. I got a feather-light hose and was going to devise some sort of above bed hose hanging system when I tried the dreamwear mask. That was the turning point that changed EVERYTHING for me and it's been getting better ever since.

The hose being above my head works wonders for me. I think it works so well because I wear my hair in a topknot (messy bun) to bed and so that REALLY STABILIZES the mask. I actually cannot wear the dreamwear with my hair down as the mask slips around too much and I like wearing my mask large and loose. (Though I 'could' wear a smaller size if I lost my hair)

Also, if you are able to afford it (or have someone who loves you), having a little massage work or gentle cranial sacral massage during your adjustment period could be a lifesaver!

Another way to do it yourself and get wonderful results is to use Kwan Loong (white flower) oil that you can get on the internet. This stuff is amazing. I slather it on and really work it in to not just my neck and shoulder but really rub it in to the base of my skull. (occipital bone / inion). Just be careful to wash your hands with warm SOAP and water after applying and never get it in your eyes! Not just for neck pain, this is also an almost instant cure for me for stress headaches / migraines too.

I put it on, put a towel over my pillow ... and just lay down and relax. It gives a wonderful kinda ?burning cold? sensation at first and then penetrates to relieve ALL PAIN. (for me).

https://www.amazon.com/KWAN-LOONG-Medic ... kwan+loong

Cpap is so life altering that anything you can do to welcome it in to your world and make it comfortable is worth it, in my opinion!

Wishing you Good luck, good sleep, and a GREAT future.
Look forward to seeing your journey here on cpaptalk!

~~~grace
Began XPAP May 2016. Autoset Pressure min. 8 / max 15. Ramp off. ERP set at 2. No humidity. Sleepyhead software installed and being looked at daily, though only beginning to understand the data.

Zomby Woof

Post by Zomby Woof » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:11 pm

I felt your pain Scenestealer!

Like you, I have an XL punkin'-sized head, AND, I shave it too.
Neckache and headaches from mask gear were major irritations.

I very much wanted to like the Airfit N20 that you are now using but could not come to terms with it.
If it wasn't leaking then the straps were too tight, and I awakened in pain.

In the end, it was the THICKNESS of various straps that was the ultimate obstacle.
Without hair to cushion them, mask straps apply enough pressure to negatively affect
circulation in my scalp, causing neck pain and headache

I tried many masks, and Mask #4, the TAP PAP Nasal Pillow CPAP Mask, was definitely a contender.
I found I could use no headgear at all with the Tap Pap as the mouthpiece stabilizes the nasal pillows.
Blessedly freeing me of headaches, this still wasn't the final choice. My flappy, flappy lips would not stay sealed around the mouthpiece.

Which led me to Palerider's Dark Side - the AirFit™ P10 Nasal Pillow Mask.
The P10 pillows easily handled the extremely high pressure of my original CPAP prescription.
And, it had TINY, TINY, FLAT STRAPS that secured it.

Viola! No headache or neckaches, and with some initial assistance from paper surgical tape, no flappy lip leaks.

You know I'll never sleep no more, It seem to me that it just ain't wise
Didja ever wake up in the mornin', With a ZOMBY WOOF behind your eyes?
Just about as evil as you could be.
Tellin' you all the Zomby troof, Here I'm is, the ZOMBY WOOF
- Zappa

Folgore_202

Post by Folgore_202 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:57 am

I had issues with the headgear as well at first ; I'm a very "touchy" sleeper, and I have trouble sleeping with anything touching me : a T-shirt, socks, even sometimes the blanket rolled up in a bunch can prevent me from sleeping. So, you can guess that trying to sleep at first with a mask and a hose was one hell of a pain!
"Fortunately", the first weeks I used my CPAP machine, I was tired as hell from insomnia and work, so I fell asleep relatively quickly ; these were the kind of times in which you'd fall asleep while standing if you don't pay attention!

So, after a couple weeks of just falling asleep with the mask because I couldn't do anything else but sleep, I got used to it before I went back to a normal sleep schedule, which allowed me to sleep normally with the whole shebang on.

it was a fluke more than anything, but hey, it worked.

sabca

Post by sabca » Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:42 pm

I am so frustrated. In my 6th year with CPAP. Was doing good until about a year ago when my neck started bothering me. Unfortunately, this was also the period of time when my husband deteriorated and he passed away just after Thanksgiving. And that was when my neck trouble really kicked in. Spent 1st four months of year trying to find out why my neck muscles were so tense and why I had pain when turning my head, thus limiting my range of motion (not good for driving). Went through lots of therapy, tests, chiropractic, change of pillow, etc. Nothing earth shattering except arthritis. Still having issues. I blame it all on the headgear. I have two different masks. Dreamwear and Amari View, both full face. The strap comes right across the mastoid tip of my skull and that is where my problem is. I cannot wear nasal pillows or nasal only mask as I am a mouth breather. I have some other issues that precludes most other mask and believe me, I've tried them all. At any rate, I find I wake up with my neck hurting every morning and frequently, it wakes me up during the night and I take the mask off. I just don't know what to do. I am thinking about trying a mouth device out of desperation. Any thoughts?

SpotA

Post by SpotA » Fri Dec 25, 2020 4:12 pm

This is quite an interesting situation because I often experience pain in the neck when I ride in a helmet, but this happens only if I did not sleep much at night. I don't understand the reason, but this situation is happening. If I get enough sleep, my neck doesn't hurt. I have a lot to do with sleep, I don't know about you