Resmed 10 and "Events Per Hour"

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Pugsy

Re: Resmed 10 and "Events Per Hour"

Post by Pugsy » Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:40 am

If you are waking often during the night then those CAs/Centrals may not even be real.

Back up and worry about getting good solid sleep first before worrying about everything else.

It sounds like your sleep quality is worse with cpap than without out. So let's try to figure out what is causing you to wake up so much.
Any idea???

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Sluggish

Post by Sluggish » Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:01 am

Pugsy wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:40 am
If you are waking often during the night then those CAs/Centrals may not even be real.

Back up and worry about getting good solid sleep first before worrying about everything else.

It sounds like your sleep quality is worse with cpap than without out. So let's try to figure out what is causing you to wake up so much.
Any idea???
If I had to guess I would say leaks or other mask issues. It seems side sleeping is impossible and I cannot seem to stay on my back. From what I gather I already have the ideal gear for side sleepers but when I turn my head it causes slack on that side and the cushion comes apart from my nose and creates a leak or the air noise will wake me up. I have determined I can achieve a temporary acceptable side position if I actually lift my head and then lower it back down to the pillow with proper tension on that side (if that makes sense). Sadly this process is so involved that I have to wake up fully just to accomplish it. If I am fortunate enough to fall back asleep in the new side position I almost always awaken a short time later from a bad fit again. I have tried forcing a back-only position with various neck braces but had little success.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:05 am

Get a different mask.

This one isn't working out so great for you. You should be able to sleep in any position and toss and turn all you want and if you can't get this one to stay put...it's not the right mask for you.
Either something is wrong with the size and fit or it simply doesn't suit you.
Try something else.

Finding the right mask is the hardest part of this therapy.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Sluggish

Post by Sluggish » Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:14 am

Pugsy wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:05 am
Get a different mask.

This one isn't working out so great for you. You should be able to sleep in any position and toss and turn all you want and if you can't get this one to stay put...it's not the right mask for you.
Either something is wrong with the size and fit or it simply doesn't suit you.
Try something else.

Finding the right mask is the hardest part of this therapy.
They offered me 3 or 4 of the most popular options at the sleep center. I’ve now tried them all except for the Philips DreamWear full face (kinda new to market).

So far none have worked for me as a side sleeper. All are fine when I’m on my back. I don’t see how anyone can have unrestricted movement while wearing a huge mask tethered to a machine by a 6ft leash.

Also, my insurance sucks. I’m likely to go broke just trying all the masks and headgear. I know I can return anything on Amazon but I feel bad about wearing a mask then returning it. How do people do this?

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:28 am

So exactly which masks have you tried?

I am still wondering if you have the right size frame or pillows with your DreamWear....have you tried anything else in terms of size of the frame or pillows with the DreamWear?

You have a mouth opening issue...do you wish to continue trying to tape in hopes of learning to keep your mouth shut or do you wish to just go to a full face mask?
Do you have any nasal congestion issues contributing to the mouth breathing or is the mouth opening just habit.

People do side sleep and even sleep on their stomachs with this mask. I know for a fact because I have used this mask and can sleep in any position with it and sleep quite well. So it can be done. Now for some it is easier to get it done than for others for any number of reasons but it sounds like the fitting isn't just right for you since it works well on your back and not on your side.

Maybe look at one of those special pillows with the cut outs so the mask doesn't touch the bed pillow so much.
I don't advise spending the big bucks on one of those to start with. I suggest going to WalMart and getting their cheap memory foam pillow and making your own cut outs.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:33 am

Can you possibly get a selfie with your DreamWear in place?
You mentioned frame close to your eyes and I am now wondering if you need the large frame so it sits further back on the face and head.
I would like to see how you are wearing it.

TASmart

Post by TASmart » Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:44 am

Another possibility is that you are wearing the masks too tight or too loose. You need to get into your sleep position to see if the mask is loose or tight. When you wake do you reset the mask tighter or looser? I know in my case with full face, nasal and pillows I need to have my masks tighter than everyone says I should too keep leaks to a reasonable level.
All posts reflect my own opinion based on my experience and reading.
Your mileage may vary
Past performance is no guarantee of future results
Consult with your own physician as people very

Sluggish

Post by Sluggish » Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:46 am

Lots to address and I have such little energy today. Please accept my apologies.

I've tried the mask that came with the machine called the F&P Eson Nasal Mask.
I've tried the Philips Dreamwear Medium frame with Medium nasal gel pillow (it's the only size I have).
I'm currently using the Philips Dreamwear Medium frame with Small nasal cushion (I have medium and large at the ready but small feels fine).
At the appointment I was also fit for the new Dreamwear Full Face and liked the feel but they wanted about $100 so I declined. Haven't seen them on Amazon yet.

Yes sometimes I have nasal issues. When I was much younger (over 20 years ago) I had deviated septum surgery. I have heard those are sketchy as far as success rates etc.. Sometimes when I'm falling asleep I can only get air through one nostril. Mostly it feels like a dryness issue. Like the walls of my nose are sticking together. I use saline spray on occasion. Lately I assume the humidifier will moisten it for me. Taping vs. full face? Beats me. I'd probably prefer just nasal if I had my choice about things. I will try taping again tonight with blue masking tape or medical tape that will hopefully not take my top 3 layers of skin with it. I think the mouth breathing is part habit and part necessity.

I can maybe get a selfie later. The mask frame came with a booklet with illustrations of proper fit etc. As far as I can tell, the medium is the proper size. MAYBE large is worth a try but not small for sure. I have noticed the mask seems to move forward a bit on my face as I sleep. Maybe I can wrench down the straps extra tight on my nap today and see what happens. Honestly it feels pretty tight already.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:04 am

Okay.

You are now using the DreamWear nasal cushion instead of the nasal pillow which you have showing in your profile.
Personally I found the nasal cushion less stable than the nasal pillow version. Meaning it was much harder for me to keep it from moving around and annoying me.

You might try a different size cushion to see if another size is more stable and less likely to move. Since you are using the small already you might try the medium since you have it and just see. You never know with these things in that sometimes a small change in the size can make a pretty big change in results and the annoyance factor.

No, the DreamWear Full face mask isn't going to be available on Amazon for a while because it is so new to the market but if you should decide to buy it you only need the headgear and the cushion. You can use the existing frame you have now with it. So gets the cost down a little bit.

Since you are using the soft fleece wraps with the DreamWear...maybe try it without them and see how the stability issues go with just the silicone against the skin.

Use whatever tape doesn't take layers of skin off. If it comes loose during the night it comes loose and you just deal with it.
It's still better than massive mouth breathing leaks for the time you did wear it and you can't be taking layers of skin off the lips or else you won't be able to tape at all.
Gotta work on getting you to be able to actually go to sleep and stay asleep without having so many wake ups due to mask annoyances. You have to be able to sleep first and foremost.

The sometimes one nostril being closed...might be what is called "nasal cycle"...google it and read up and see if that's what you might be experiencing. We can move enough air through one nostril if we need to in most situations to have effective cpap therapy.

Consider talking with your doctor about maybe adding some sort of sleep aid (even OTC) to maybe help you sleep a little sounder so less likely to wake up from the smaller annoying stuff.

Did you wake often before you started cpap or is this something new?

Sluggish

Post by Sluggish » Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:36 am

Pugsy wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:04 am
Did you wake often before you started cpap or is this something new?
I'm 43. The majority of my life I was a very heavy sleeper. I remember sleeping through major California earthquakes that woke everyone else up. I remember having dreams. At some point all of that changed. Seems like about 10-15 years ago. Perhaps that's when the apnea started. Who knows? Scary to think I may have been living with it for that long. Now I drink coffee in the AM to stay awake past noon and then a caffeinated energy drink between about 2-4pm to get me through the rest of the day. Seems like I should probably cut the afternoon caffeine before taking any sleep aids but then I'm afraid I'll be asleep by 2pm. Also I'm not a huge fan of Pharmaceuticals if I can help it. I'm actually quite curious how I got this disorder in the first place and has anyone ever successfully cured themselves of this living nightmare?

Okie bipap

Post by Okie bipap » Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:55 am

I hate to disappoint you, but very few people are ever cured of sleep apnea. Sleep apnea is not something we "catch". It is caused by the muscles in your mouth and throat relaxing and sagging enough to stop the air flow when you try to breathe. This physiological condition is probably caused by our genetic make up. If your parents snored loudly, it is quite normal for you to snore loudly. Loud snoring is often caused by your throat closing off partially when you sleep. I, too, was a heavy sleeper. I have slept through earthquakes in California and severe storms in the central part of the U.S. The only things I would hear at night was the telephone, and our children when they would wake up at night. The last few years I would wake up when my wife would stop breathing at night. Now, she, too, is using a machine when she sleeps, so my sleep quality has improved.

Most of us have accepted the fact we will be wearing this alien thing on our face every night when we sleep. The health benefits associated with using our machine far out weigh the inconvenience of putting the mask on every time we sleep. For me, the hardest part was finding a mask I was comfortable with that did not cause an irritation on the bridge of my nose. So far, I have been lucky enough to find three masks I can use without causing the irritation on my nose. Hopefully, you will get your treatment under control and enable you to sleep soundly, once again.

Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:55 am

Sluggish wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:20 am
I thought I was using setting 9-20 as a way to zero in on a more precise setting in the future. Are you saying I should just leave it at 9-20?
I'd bump the minimum up to 10 and see if that settles things down a little, may need 11.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Sluggish

Post by Sluggish » Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:43 am

Another terrible night. I went back to the F&P Eson mask because it seems to be a little more forgiving when I turn on my side. I still woke up multiple times during the night by small streams of air escaping and blowing on my face. One time I was so frustrated that I just wrenched the straps beyond super tight. The mask feels like it was so tight that all the inner rubber was turning inside out. In the morning it said I had almost 8 events per hour. Forgot to put the CF card back in the Resmed so I have no report other than that. My eyes are burning from lack of sleep. I may have to skip the machine tonight (or later today) just to get some rest (or fake rest anyway).

A new thing I have also noticed is that my machine makes a very faint whirring sound when I inhale. I can compare it to the sound of a very faint vacuum cleaner or something. It sounds like my machine has emphysema. It's a bit bothersome and even more so if it gets any louder. I have tried turning off the humidifier but nothing changes. Has anyone else experienced this? Is this normal?

Sluggish

Post by Sluggish » Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:33 pm

I'm really struggling with this. I just took a 4 hour nap with no CPAP and it was better than all of the last 2 weeks with CPAP.

I'm curious... has anyone had any luck with one of the dental devices? There is one that pushes your lower jaw out a bit and another one that pushes your tongue out a bit. I would probably try the tongue one first because I already have a rather even bite (almost underbite).

Also, could all of the people who fall asleep on their back but then end up on their side please chime in with what mask/gear you use?

Muse-Inc

Post by Muse-Inc » Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:55 am

Might try one of the hybrid FFMs; there are 3. I wear the RespCare Hybrid. It works with low to high pressures. Uses pillows and an oral cushion (click on the name of my mask to see it). I am a side sleeper. Our host (cpap.com) sells mask insurance so you can return it <b><i>if</i></b> if doesn't work out.

ResMed S9 range 9.8-17, RespCare Hybrid FFM
Never, never, never, never say never.