New issues for an old user

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Baklash

New issues for an old user

Post by Baklash » Sun May 06, 2018 4:17 pm

I’m new on this website, but a longtime CPAP user with new issues. My old machine was manufactured in an earlier century with no bells or whistles and no humidifier and I’ve had no advice or seen a sleep doctor in many years. In December 2016 I had a new sleep study and received a Respironics DreamStation, humidifier, and F&P Simplus full face mask. Full mask because I tend to mouth breathe. I was told with a full mask there is no problem caused by my mouth breathing.
1) My wife says I snore and make noises. This has occurred for several years with other types of masks, but I thought this CPAP and full mask are supposed to eliminate snoring. What gives?
2) I have a dry mouth in the morning, but understand my meds can cause that. However, one morning my water tank is dry and the next nearly full. I fill it every night and the total sleep time each night is 8.5 hours. The humidity and house thermostat are consistent during these changes in water consumption. I’ve checked this and the hot metal heating pad. No explanation from Lincare.
3) I went to an ent last week for an ear problem and mentioned I use a CPAP and wear a chin strap. He said get rid of the chin strap, but we had no further discussion about that. So I don’t quite know how it could affect anything, but it’s very uncomfortable. I mention it here only for info.
My concern is the continued snoring and the inconsistent water usage since both could be keys to whether or not I am getting healthful sleep. Any comments are appreciated.

palerider

Re: New issues for an old user

Post by palerider » Sun May 06, 2018 4:52 pm

Baklash wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 4:17 pm
I’m new on this website, but a longtime CPAP user with new issues. My old machine was manufactured in an earlier century with no bells or whistles and no humidifier and I’ve had no advice or seen a sleep doctor in many years. In December 2016 I had a new sleep study and received a Respironics DreamStation, humidifier, and F&P Simplus full face mask. Full mask because I tend to mouth breathe. I was told with a full mask there is no problem caused by my mouth breathing.
1) My wife says I snore and make noises. This has occurred for several years with other types of masks, but I thought this CPAP and full mask are supposed to eliminate snoring. What gives?
2) I have a dry mouth in the morning, but understand my meds can cause that. However, one morning my water tank is dry and the next nearly full. I fill it every night and the total sleep time each night is 8.5 hours. The humidity and house thermostat are consistent during these changes in water consumption. I’ve checked this and the hot metal heating pad. No explanation from Lincare.
3) I went to an ent last week for an ear problem and mentioned I use a CPAP and wear a chin strap. He said get rid of the chin strap, but we had no further discussion about that. So I don’t quite know how it could affect anything, but it’s very uncomfortable. I mention it here only for info.
My concern is the continued snoring and the inconsistent water usage since both could be keys to whether or not I am getting healthful sleep. Any comments are appreciated.
  1. Not if the pressure is too low.
  2. Excessive leaks exacerbate water usage.
  3. Chin straps are overrated, they push the jaw back, they don't keep your lips closed, they won't prevent mouth breathing. the ONLY thing they're good for is if your mouth is hanging open.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Julie

Post by Julie » Sun May 06, 2018 5:09 pm

Hi - have you gained any weight lately (even a little can make a diff)? Taking new meds? Sleep on your back more (it causes more apneas and it terrible for snorers) and could you try to train yourself to not back sleep using something or other behind you to keep from flipping overnight? When's the last time you tried various FF masks on - while lying down because your face changes a lot then - as you might have changed (weight, age, etc) and/or your mask might just be too old.

Okie bipap

Post by Okie bipap » Sun May 06, 2018 6:23 pm

My wife and I are both mouth breathers when sleeping. We use soft cervical collars to help hold our mouth shut when sleeping. By using the collar, I no longer have a dry mouth at night. I get the collars at Walmart, and can be found here: https://www.walmart.com/search/?query=d ... dmi%20firm

I use the 4 inch collar, and my wife uses a 3 inch collar. We change the collars about two or three months.

Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.

Baklash

Post by Baklash » Tue May 08, 2018 10:33 am

palerider wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 4:52 pm
Baklash wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 4:17 pm
  1. Not if the pressure is too low.
  2. Excessive leaks exacerbate water usage.
  3. Chin straps are overrated, they push the jaw back, they don't keep your lips closed, they won't prevent mouth breathing. the ONLY thing they're good for is if your mouth is hanging open.
Never even considered that the sleep study might result in wrong pressure. Doubt Medicare would approve another test this soon. I will check with my provider and request they review my data for leaks. One more question: The last two mornings I again checked the bottom of the tank. It was not hot or even warm. This is the first time I’ve ever noticed that. Does the machine adjust this temp up and down and even off to control humidity? If so, maybe it is now defective. I really appreciate your comments and taking the time to respond.

JDS74

Post by JDS74 » Tue May 08, 2018 10:36 am

The issues that I see in your description are:

Chin strap - these sometimes cause the jaw to move back slightly and increase obstructive apneas and other symptoms such as snoring. Replace it with a soft cervical collar as suggested and that will help.

Erratic water usage - erratic water usage can sometimes be caused by excessive leaks. FFMs being used without a cervical collar tend to leak when the jaw drops with muscle relaxation that occurs with sleep.

Snoring - this can be an indication that the pressure being supplied is insufficient to provide effective treatment for obstructive sleep apnea and its friends. Using software like SleepyHead or ResScan can give you the information necessary to track and evaluate your level of therapy provided that your machine is a "full data" machine and report all apnea events and breathing information.

Equipment specification - adjust your indication in your profile so that it shows the actual model of cpap machine. Some models are so-called "bricks" that report no therapy data only hours of use. It is helpful to know the difference. The link you provided points to a "brick."

Oracle 452 Lessons Learned Updated
DSX900 AutoSV with HC150 extra humidifier and Hibernite heated hose
Settings: EPAP Min-10.0, EPAP Max-17, PS Min-3, PS Max-10, Max Pressure-20, Rate-Auto, Biflex-1.
Sleepyhead and Encore Pro 2.21.

mesenteria

Post by mesenteria » Tue May 08, 2018 10:58 am

Would a reset of the machine help? Sometimes the software gets glitchy over time. I don't know if your machine CAN be reset, but I thought I'd mention it.

Can you test the heater in the reservoir...if it has one? An ohm test should tell you if the circuit has its integrity or is open (damaged).

As others have suggested, the ambient humidity may preclude the use of much water by the machine. No way to know unless you keep track and know that it has risen sharply the past while.

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue May 08, 2018 11:22 am

mesenteria wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 10:58 am
Would a reset of the machine help? Sometimes the software gets glitchy over time. I don't know if your machine CAN be reset, but I thought I'd mention it.

Can you test the heater in the reservoir...if it has one? An ohm test should tell you if the circuit has its integrity or is open (damaged).
No, and *facepalm*.

Last edited by palerider on Tue May 08, 2018 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Get OSCAR

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue May 08, 2018 11:25 am

Baklash wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 10:33 am
Never even considered that the sleep study might result in wrong pressure.
All the time.
Baklash wrote:
I will check with my provider and request they review my data for leaks.
If you put the right kind of machine in your equipment profile, then there is no data to check, you've got a garbage system.

Take the water tank out, turn the machine over, what's it say on the bottom? what's the REF number?
Baklash wrote:
One more question: The last two mornings I again checked the bottom of the tank. It was not hot or even warm. This is the first time I’ve ever noticed that. Does the machine adjust this temp up and down and even off to control humidity? If so, maybe it is now defective. I really appreciate your comments and taking the time to respond.
Yes, it does, it measures the humidity in the room and adds 'enough', it doesn't just sit there like a kettle on the boil.

mesenteria

Post by mesenteria » Tue May 08, 2018 4:24 pm

palerider wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 11:22 am
mesenteria wrote:

No, and *facepalm*.
Sorry, I don't understand.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue May 08, 2018 5:14 pm

Canadians can be stuck with bricks, too.

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue May 08, 2018 5:56 pm

mesenteria wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 4:24 pm
palerider wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 11:22 am
mesenteria wrote:

No, and *facepalm*.
Sorry, I don't understand.
The only "stuck" that's *ever* been reported cpap related is that in very rare occasions Resmed S9 machines have been seen to report an AHI of 0, fixed by a reboot.

As to ohming out the heater in the humidifier, that would require disassembling the unit. It's not a dumb heater plate, it's got it's own circuitry in the humidifier and talks back and forth to the blower unit.

So, No, and *facepalm*.

mesenteria

Post by mesenteria » Wed May 09, 2018 10:22 am

I still don't get the facepalm, but thanks for the much more helpful answer.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed May 09, 2018 10:56 am

*facepalm* is a gesture given in response to a ridiculous comment;
In this case--the ohm test--please ignore irrelevant remarks.
Sorry, but WRONG/unhelpful is not considered deletable. :mrgreen:

Baklash

Post by Baklash » Thu May 10, 2018 7:40 pm

Many thanks for all the suggestions. I’m going to attempt to respond to all with updates and changes made.
1) I corrected my machine info in my Profile. It is a DreamStation Auto Cpap Hum Cell DOM.
Ref# : DSX500H11C. I have no idea about the software so had to leave that blank.
2) Took the suggestion to revisit FFM fit and switched from large to medium. Seems to leak less because I have not awakened to find out I was leaking air. And I have not had to tighten straps.
3) Ditched the chin strap. Will look at collars. May be just the ticket.
4) Nope, no weight gain except 2# swings due to water retention.
5) Need to find out more about SleepyHead. Where do I get it and is it free software?