Calling all front sleepers!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
MaxINTJ

Calling all front sleepers!

Post by MaxINTJ » Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:05 am

I have heard it said multiple times that there are front sleepers who have gotten xPAP to work for them, so I would like to hear from such folks.

2 caveats:

1) The falcon position is not applicable to me. I like my pillows and am a pretty consistent "freefall" sleeper.

2) Looking for info specifically on making it work with any mask other the the Dreamwear. I know that mask works for a front sleeper, but my mouth is not able to stay shut at higher pressures. Methods to keep it shut have failed.

So, given the above, how does one front sleep successfully with 4-6" of plastic hanging off the front of their face and a hose that's always getting in the way?
Phillips 960 AutoSV Paving Brick, Phillips Dreamwear Mask - Nothing is working.
Diagnosis of crappy sleep, desats under 80, maybe UARS

herefishy

Re: Calling all front sleepers!

Post by herefishy » Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:12 am

I'm one and I have used a Mirage Activa for years. No falcon, just flat on my stomach, face turned to the left with a little pocket in my down pillow.

MaxINTJ

Post by MaxINTJ » Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:37 am

herefishy wrote:I'm one and I have used a Mirage Activa for years. No falcon, just flat on my stomach, face turned to the left with a little pocket in my down pillow.
So you just stay still all night? How does it not push on the mask? Are do you hanging off the edge of the pillow? Do you have your arms up and around or under the pillows?

If I get in a comfortable position (head fully on the pillow) the mask gets shoved and I get leaks. If I scrunch up the pillow to sort of lay off to the side and face down the mask gets moved AND the air from the vent gets blown back in my face. If I turn to the other side, the mask gets knocked, the hose gets in the way, I blow air at my wife, and it all wakes me up.

nanwilson

Post by nanwilson » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:55 am

Max, so what is wrong with the "falcon position" and using a pillow??????????????? I have been on this therapy for over seven years and YES I sleep in the falcon position and I use a pillow with my face either in or on my pillow..... easy peazy. You just want to gripe, there are hundreds of masks out there, start trying others and FIND the right one, we've all been there with masks.
Started cpap in 2010.. still at it with great results.

Julie

Post by Julie » Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:15 am

Well, I think you were the one who said you weren't interested in my solution (and it is radical), but maybe you'd reconsider now given your problems... here it is again...

I cut a 3" wide, 4" deep and 1' long 'trench' in my memory foam mattress starting at the head and going towards the foot, with an electric knife, and rounded top edges with scissors. I have a FF mask and when sleeping on my front with my head turned right, the mask dips into the trench diagonally or vertically, avoiding a very sore neck in the a.m. I've also cut and fiddled with sheets to accommodate things, but have been sleeping like this for years, and so far so good. IMPORTANT - my particular mask's vent holes are higher on the mask than most (which are usually at the elbow), so foam or sheet don't block holes but probably would for other masks.

And you can look up my mask on Cpap.com.

MaxINTJ

Post by MaxINTJ » Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:56 am

nanwilson wrote:Max, so what is wrong with the "falcon position" and using a pillow??????????????? I have been on this therapy for over seven years and YES I sleep in the falcon position and I use a pillow with my face either in or on my pillow..... easy peazy. You just want to gripe, there are hundreds of masks out there, start trying others and FIND the right one, we've all been there with masks.
Te falcon position is completely different than the freefall position (which is closest to how I sleep). That said, I sometimes get close to that position depending on how my back is feeling. Sometimes bringing a leg up relieves some tension. But, no position I have found doesn't push on a FFM which of course causes leaks. I cannot have my head turned 90 degrees all night without paying a "stiff" price the next day.

You don't say what mask you have, but I fail to see how any of them, with a front mount hose, don't get pushed out of place by the pillow(s).

As for hundreds of masks, how many have a top mounted hose, or how many FFMs are smaller than the View? I think I have chosen my masks wisely and would still be using my first mask if my pressures were lower. Trying even larger masks would be pointless if the smallest one is already too big.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:07 am

MaxINTJ wrote: You don't say what mask you have, but I fail to see how any of them, with a front mount hose, don't get pushed out of place by the pillow(s).
Actually her mask is clearly noted in her equipment profile.
The ResMed AirFit P10 and it's the mask I use and I often will sleep on my stomach with that mask. In fact woke up that way this morning.
Just because you fail to see how a front mounted house will work doesn't mean it doesn't work. It will work and work very well for 99.999 % of the people who choose to use that mask.
And yes, I also use a bed pillow. I woke up this morning with my face almost totally face down on the pillow with a just slight turn to the side.
Nasal pillows in place and totally comfortable.

Just because you don't see how something might work doesn't mean it won't work. You close your mind ahead of time and that's certainly your choice but your refusal to at least try something because you made up your mind ahead of time makes it really difficult for anyone to want to offer any ideas.
It sucks getting shot down without someone at least trying the idea.
Ever hear of self fulfilling prophecy?

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

MaxINTJ

Post by MaxINTJ » Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:23 am

Julie wrote:Well, I think you were the one who said you weren't interested in my solution (and it is radical), but maybe you'd reconsider now given your problems... here it is again...

Your suggestion falls into the same category as massage tables. I think it's a perfectly fine solution for you and others that never move in the night and can get by without pillows. I go through all positions most nights - even if it's only a few minutes in some, and I do love my feather pillows.

I am still hoping to hear some new ideas from this thread - maybe even one that works for me. If I don't get somewhere by the time I have my 2nd titration, I'm honestly not sure if I will be able to continue with xPAP - and it will be because of the dearth of mask choices, as I mentioned in another thread.

I'm starting to feel like mask choices are similar to the Model T

"Any customer can have a car painted any color that he wants so long as it is black.", Henry Ford

MaxINTJ

Post by MaxINTJ » Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:34 am

Pugsy wrote:The ResMed AirFit P10 and it's the mask I use and I often will sleep on my stomach with that mask. In fact woke up that way this morning.
Just because you fail to see how a front mounted house will work doesn't mean it doesn't work. It will work and work very well for 99.999 % of the people who choose to use that mask.
And yes, I also use a bed pillow. I woke up this morning with my face almost totally face down on the pillow with a just slight turn to the side.
Nasal pillows in place and totally comfortable.
I don't have a problem with the Dreamwear, so I would not be looking for another nasal mask. I am stuck with a FFM until I can get my mouth to cooperate while I'm asleep. I don't know when that will be because if I go back to a nasal mask my wife won't sleep and then my life definitely won't get better...

Pugsy wrote:Just because you don't see how something might work doesn't mean it won't work. You close your mind ahead of time and that's certainly your choice but your refusal to at least try something because you made up your mind ahead of time makes it really difficult for anyone to want to offer any ideas.
It sucks getting shot down without someone at least trying the idea.
Ever hear of self fulfilling prophecy?
I guess I neglected to specify a 3rd caveat, or I should have changed the first one to it has to be with a FFM, as that is what I am currently stuck with.

As far as making my mind up ahead of time, I know how I sleep, and I knew ahead of time the bulk of a FFM would not work - hence my choice of the Dreamwear. I did not know my mouth would blow open at higher pressures.

As for a FFM, I DID try one - the smallest one available. It's been over two weeks and I'm still trying with it, but it's not getting any more comfortable, and it's still waking me up because it gets in the way.

It doesn't matter if I have a positive or negative feeling about the mask - if it wakes me up it wakes me up.

Julie

Post by Julie » Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:35 am

Has it occurred to you that you might sleep more quietly, move less, if your sleep was good?

nanwilson

Post by nanwilson » Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:57 am

it doesn't matter what anyone suggest , you will predetermine that it won't work.. Yes, | use the p10 most of the time, but I also have an f10 ffm for when I an traveling or like now, I have had a severe sinus and lung infection for the past month. I still sleep in the same way with the ffm. Now disgard that one Max because you will think of a way to do so.
Started cpap in 2010.. still at it with great results.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:05 am

Well....I have used the Amara View...and I slept on my stomach with it successfully. It can be done. I am not the only person in the whole wide world who could do it.

You've limited yourself to extremely narrow options for whatever reasons you want to use and you have to make your choices based on those options.

If you are unwilling to try anything else...then base your choices on your current options because that's all there is available.
Does it suck? Hell yeah it sucks but wishing it didn't isn't going to change anything. Life sucks sometimes.
You have limited options but part of that is your own unwillingness to even try something else because of preconceived notions.
Either accept things for what they are or try to maybe be a little more open about expanding your options.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Madalot

Post by Madalot » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:14 am

Pugsy wrote:Well....I have used the Amara View...and I slept on my stomach with it successfully. It can be done. I am not the only person in the whole wide world who could do it.

You've limited yourself to extremely narrow options for whatever reasons you want to use and you have to make your choices based on those options.

If you are unwilling to try anything else...then base your choices on your current options because that's all there is available.
Does it suck? Hell yeah it sucks but wishing it didn't isn't going to change anything. Life sucks sometimes.
You have limited options but part of that is your own unwillingness to even try something else because of preconceived notions.
Either accept things for what they are or try to maybe be a little more open about expanding your options.
Honestly (and no offense to anyone here) if getting my xpap/Trilogy to work was my only thing, I'd be tap dancing through the streets. I have to adapt and compensate for so much in my life and HAVE been since I was a kid. The simplest things that most people take for granted - I have to adapt. Something as simple as pouring a cup of coffee from a pot? Most people just grab it and do it without any thought to it. I can't lift it so I have to "double fist" it to hold it - two hands to pour a cup of coffee (which is one reason I use K-cups now).

Emptying my dishwasher? I can only lift 2 dinner plates at a time to put them up in the cabinet. My son lifts the whole damned pile but I have to do it in stages because I can't lift more than 2.

Doing anything physical and breathing? Not possible for me. I can either do the chore (emptying dishwasher, making the bed, doing dishes) - or BREATHE. I alternate between the two. I put up two dishes, take a breath, put up two more dishes, take a breath.

It's workable. But if I had the attitude of some, I'd have curled up in a ball a died a long time ago. Open up your mind to the possibilities and adapt.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:21 am

Madalot: Nobody could say it better!
We play the cards we are dealt.
Or fold.

Madalot

Post by Madalot » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:46 am

chunkyfrog wrote:Madalot: Nobody could say it better!
We play the cards we are dealt.
Or fold.
Yeah, CF. You got that right. I have a person in my life that developed Tinnitus earlier this year. I feel for him and do get that Tinnitus can be bad, but this man has made up his mind that Tinnitus is the WORST possible ailment and doctors are horrible because they can't give him a pill to fix it. He once said in front of me "Why is Tinnitus the ONLY thing they can't cure??" I mean, seriously? I need a wand to wipe my ass and you think you're the only one with troubles??

The supplements which help some people? He complained they didn't work, but then come to find out he was taking 1/6 the daily dose. But he made up his mind they weren't working and taking more wouldn't help. Every possible therapy and help he has been given he has dismissed. He's always got a reason why HE can't do it or it won't work.

What finally happened is he stopped getting sympathy or help from anyone. People don't want to talk to him anymore and if he brings it up, people change the subject. He's living in his own little hell because he refuses to open his mind to possibilities and realize that HE has to adapt to the situation - not the other way around.