New mask with memory foam--WORKS!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
HannaJ

New mask with memory foam--WORKS!

Post by HannaJ » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:35 pm

ResMed AIRTOUCH F20 WITH MEMORY FOAM delivers comfort!

I've tried five different CPAP masks: Respironics DreamWear (tube under nose; mouth free), two sizes of ResMed's AirFit F10; Phillips Amara View; and ResMed's AirTouch F20 for Her. I liked DreamWear, but was a mouth-opener with or without chin strap; extremely dry mouth next morning. AirTouch masks pinched the top of my nose, leaving a red spot in the morning. There were also leak problems. Amara View is extremely fiddly to put on--you have to reposition and reposition and fiddle with the mask lining to avoid leaks. There is a slot in the mask that goes below your nostrils, and if that is not placed right, you feel like you're smothering. The mask is very prone to leaks as the night progresses; the head harness actually seems to stretch with the passing hours.

I was about to give up altogether when I learned about a full-face mask with memory foam, the ResMed AirTouch F20. It's a full-face mask, but the edges of the mask are soft, and the outermost edge is memory foam. There is definitely a feeling of wearing a mask, but the soft edges make a huge difference. I don't have hard walls pressing on the top of my nose, and there is no "morning spot." Also, the mask is more tolerant of shifts in head position and pressure from a pillow, since the foam is flexible and can fill in where small gaps might otherwise arise. I can now get the therapy I need without discouragement, pulling the mask off in the middle of the night, or feeling like I'm smothering. I've worn the mask for about five nights now, and was able to put in more than 6 hours most of those nights. I'm hoping very hard that this is the last mask I'll have to try.

If you've been having mask problems because of the rigidity of the mask edges, you should definitely try the AirTouch, if you can get one. Check it out online. It comes in at least two sizes.

Additional Comments: Pressure 16; heat 2-4 dep. on room temp. I've tried FP Simplus masks and PR nasal pillow mask with chin strap and mouth tape.
HannaJ

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Re: New mask with memory foam--WORKS!

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:54 pm

Medicare vs DME numbers mean this mask is unobtainable for some.
Boooooo.

Rainmom17

Post by Rainmom17 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:08 pm

I'm happy that mask works for you! For me, I did appreciate the comfort but it was a disaster as far as leaking. Never felt like it really sealed. Congrats to you!

luvsbluberries

Post by luvsbluberries » Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:56 am

I'm glad that you found one that works for you. Sadly, I have chemical sensitivities and memory foam is not something I can be around.

If you are ever in the market again, the F&P Simplus is a good solution for anyone that cannot tolerate pressure against the bridge of their nose. Check out a side-view of the cushion to see why. The plastic shell appears as though it is strapped to your forehead, but there is actually no contact.

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:29 pm

Congratulations on finding the right mask. That makes all the difference!

It always amazes me how different everyone's experiences are with different masks. The most important thing is finding the one works for YOU. Good job!
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:23 pm

Janknitz wrote:
It always amazes me how different everyone's experiences are with different masks. The most important thing is finding the one works for YOU. Good job!
Isn't that the truth. Masks I couldn't even use for 5 minutes and hate with a passion is the greatest thing since sliced bread to the next person.

I don't care what mask a person uses as long as they are happy and successful with it.

I actually did get a chance to see and feel the AirTouch F20. I could definitely see why some people like the foam.
Still not enough to get me to want to try it though. It definitely feels better against the skin but I still prefer nothing against any of my skin except the nostrils.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

DME LRCP

Post by DME LRCP » Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:37 pm

So glad it is working out. I did want to echo what I've seen mentioned above that unfortunately the Medicare allowable pays too low for many DME companies to be able to bill for the mask. The price MCR is willing to pay is less than wholesale cost for the company in many cases. It is also worth mentioning that my direct sales rep told me the cushion is only good for one month. This was another issue for our company as we are based in a rural community and are responsible for many insurances that refuse to pay for supplies this frequently. Government exchange plans are usually the best payers, but have the worst supply replenishment plans. So an expensive mask that requires more frequent changing doesn't work for all. But, it does for some who have MCR or private policies such as BCBS. Lastly, some may have allergic reactions due to the foam. Silicone was initially invented and implemented in CPAP masks because it's hypoallergenic. So just be careful.

I do want to say what's most important is that you are comfortable! I know picking a mask is often the most frustrating part of the PAP process. Finding one that works for your individual face is key! Good luck!

Sleeping Ugly

Post by Sleeping Ugly » Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:25 pm

It is nirvana when a mask fits! Congrats! May you continue to breathe easily!
CPAP Therapy: providing restful and restorative sleep, while making you LOOK like you haven't had ANY! --me

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:48 pm

It's true!
The right mask is nirvana.

amenite

Post by amenite » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:48 pm

DME LRCP wrote:So glad it is working out. I did want to echo what I've seen mentioned above that unfortunately the Medicare allowable pays too low for many DME companies to be able to bill for the mask.
I'm thinking some kind of memory foam Remzzzs liner might be interesting. Maybe someone will take up the challenge, and I think I have some sacrificial memory foam lying around if I get the urge to experiment

fog.apnea

Post by fog.apnea » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:49 am

When I went to my DME to try few full face masks about a month ago, they didn't have the AirTouch F20 in stock for me to try. The technician helping me at DME didn't have an idea that ResMed released a new model so I showed her the google results. She called the DME customer care and here was the response.

"AIrTouch F20 is in the market only a few months now and while the mask itself was good the foam had discoloration problems turning somewhat yellowish which resulted in them being returned and so they aren't carrying that particular one for the time being."

I ended up taking the AirFit F20 and satisfied with it so far but the foam idea sounded good to me. Time will tell how that discoloration issue pans out but am going to try the AirTouch F20 myself next time my new mask renewal is up in another 2 months and hopefully DME stocks it by that time.

EPR 2cm
Humidity Level: Auto
Diagnosis: OSA 35 AHI. Diagnosed May '17. Therapy started Jun '17.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:06 am

I will share what my DME told me about the AirTouch foam cushion.
Yes ResMed says 30 days but it will last longer than that. How long is going to depend on facial oils etc causing the foam to deteriorate. Once exposed to the air the foam will start to age and turn yellow and eventually become a bit brittle but he is using it right now and has been using the same cushion for a little over 60 days and so far it is holding up well.

You can't wash it like you can the silicone...can't get the water out of the foam and the water causes the foam to break down sooner.
That's why they say just to wipe it off with something like a damp cloth or maybe one of the milder baby wipes.

I do wonder if using a mask liner would prolong the life of the cushion....if someone really likes the foam cushion and wants to try to prolong the foam life then I think using some sort of mask liner would be a viable option. Keep the skin oils off the foam.

As far as some DMEs not wanting to supply the AirTouch mask because Medicare doesn't pay well enough...my DME will do it.
I was able to get one using my Medicare just a couple of weeks ago. It wasn't for me but I ended up giving it to someone in need.
So they are making some money.....maybe not as much as they would like but they are making money.

I would want to see the cost invoices for the cushions and compare to Medicare reimbursement rates before I would believe the excuse "medicare won't pay enough to cover our cost" that some DMEs are using.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.