TSA policy for Cpap Machines

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
imacpappro

TSA policy for Cpap Machines

Post by imacpappro » Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:45 pm

There have been some other good post on this subject with various links. I thought I would add this for review.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/ ... index.shtm

Adam
aka - ICP

roadwarrior

Post by roadwarrior » Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:20 pm

Indeed it has become easier for me to travel with my APAP machine these days it seems. For the 1st time since I've been traveling with one (since March of this year every other week on airplanes) it passed right through the Delta security checkpoint at BOTH ends of my travel and they didn't even pull it off the line to do a separate check of it. So they must be relaxing their stance on the xpap machines at some locations as no doubt they see more than their share of them. It's just that much easier on me. Hope it continues......

Persistance is Omnipotent

Kiltie_Bari

Post by Kiltie_Bari » Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:37 pm

Had to travel for the first time with my machine last week. TSA was very interested in it, but at least it seems like they knew what it was. I packed my mask and hoses in a ziploc bag and none of the screeners felt the need to actually open it.

DBinAZ

Post by DBinAZ » Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:35 am

good to know. thanks!

josh

Post by josh » Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:58 am

My favorite TSA experience...(of the 4 that I've had)...

I flew into Washington DC from Mexico City, and I was passing through the screening checkpoint to after immigrations.

I put my CPAP through the X-ray machine, and everything was fine.

I progressed to the end of the machine, and yet there was no CPAP. In fact the belt had stopped.

The TSA agent was pointing at the screen, and said something like "Ah Ha!!" with the attitude of "Yeah give me a raise, I found something that might be a bomb!!"...she yelled for some inspector to come over and take it to inspect it.

Sure enough...it was just a CPAP...the inspector thought nothing of it and let me through.

Who would have thought...?

The ox is slow...but the earth is patient.

ldemmery

Post by ldemmery » Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:43 am

So... I have a question. I will be travelling in December for the first time with my CPAP.

When you check your luggage in, do you tell the person behind the counter that you're travelling with a CPAP? Or do you just announce it when you go through security?

BTW, I was advised by the canadian authorities some time ago that a doctor's note is fantastic as well as some info (like a brochure) of your machine would help.

Lynne (in Ottawa)

Kiltie_Bari

Post by Kiltie_Bari » Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:35 am

I didn't say anything at check-in, but did point it out to the people at the x-ray machines before I ran it through.

I have to say that the TSA folks were almost apologetic that they had to swab the machine, at last in my experience so far. I don't have a note from the doctor, but I do have all the manuals that came with the machine/humidifier in the case, along with the original case with the Respironics logo on the flap.

roadwarrior

Post by roadwarrior » Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:36 am

You folks need not get your underwear in a bun over this. It's absolutely nothing to be concerned about. TSA's are fully aware of what these machines are. Some will even pass it through the xray and not even stop it these days. They are more common than you think and are handled as such by most. The process is quite simple. Say NOTHING and no special attention is likely to be given. The most typical reaction is it will go through the xray, a TSA agent will ask "who's luggage is this?" and you respond "mine". Then they will say "I need to run a test on it" and you'll respond "ok". They will probably ask you to come with them as they take it over to a screening table, which has some sophisticated diagnostic machine on it that takes the swab they go over it with when the swab is placed on the machine gives an analysis to pass it through as no threat of showing any chemical or gunpowder residue. They will zip it up afterwards and thank you and send you on your way. I do this every other week so I'm old hat at this. Just relax and enjoy the trip.......no biggie......
Persistance is Omnipotent

tlppt

CPAP as carry-on

Post by tlppt » Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:12 am

Does the CPAP machine count as one of your two carry-ons?

Kiltie_Bari

Re: CPAP as carry-on

Post by Kiltie_Bari » Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:26 am

[quote="tlppt"]:?: Does the CPAP machine count as one of your two carry-ons?

Post by Guest » Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:24 pm

I've had the same experiences as roadwarrior. Most times they just ask "whats in the bag?". I say CPAP machine, they swab it and off you go. Sometimes it just goes through no questions.

Nice to know it doesn't count toward the carry on total. Thanks for that info.
Dave