CPAP MACHINE BROKE and a bad DME

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
DeeCPAP

CPAP MACHINE BROKE and a bad DME

Post by DeeCPAP » Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:32 am

I've had my machine for years. I called the company who gave me the machine when the humidifier broke (simply stopped working). They replaced it. About six months later it broke. They replaced it but said even though it's the the last month of the warranty they will replaced it but that it's my fault and the machines are good so it must be something, but retracted it and said the machines have a problem with the humidifier so the newer model was designed differently. A month has passed and it's broken again.

When I called, I told them the problem and they didn't call back. I don't know if it's because the warranty expired. Is there anything I can do? Those machines are EXPENSIVE!

Additional Comments: My headgear varies (STILL!)
Last edited by DeeCPAP on Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Resmed S9 with humidifier and in need of the right mask.

LSAT

Re: CPAP MACHINE BROKE and a bad DME

Post by LSAT » Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:36 am

WHAT MACHINE? How about telling us what brand/model you are having a problem with. Give us specifics.

Julie

Post by Julie » Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:39 am

Machines don't last forever, whether or not a particular part is broken and/or covered. If yours is that old, you should be due for another new one at some point (usually 5 yrs), but if you have no insurance, you'll need to look for one (unless you can buy new on your own) from a place like Secondwindcpap.com, or someone trusted on the forum here.

DeeCPAP

Post by DeeCPAP » Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:48 am

It's a RESMED S9 and they said I wouldn't be due for another one until 2017 or 2018 (forgot which).

The humdifier suddenly stops working in the middle of the night and wakes me up. The last time they said my settings were too low, but it had been working fine on those same settings.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:56 am

If it's just the humidifier that broke....for $90 you can purchase another humidifier for your S9 at seconwindcpap.com.

DeeCPAP

Post by DeeCPAP » Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:05 am

LSAT wrote:for $90 you can purchase another humidifier for your S9 at seconwindcpap.com.

It's not the humidifier OR the machine. When I take the two main pieces apart (the machine itself and the humidifier) it works. It's the CONNECTION that doesn't work. However, it stops working in the middle of the night and shoots cold air into the hose and wakes me up, then I have to fix it (it's happened 3 times and I WAS able to fix it, but who knows if or when it'll become permanent?)

Roman Hokie

Post by Roman Hokie » Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:13 am

Variables being what they are, the fact that you've been through 3 H5is in less than 8 months, my money is that it's on the unit itself and not the humidifier. I wonder if they'd be willing to take it for trade for a replacement of the same (i.e. refurbish it).

Edited: the unit portion of the CONNECTION.

If you see me acting unruly, call me on it. PMs are welcome.

DeeCPAP

Post by DeeCPAP » Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:18 am

Roman Hokie wrote:Variables being what they are, the fact that you've been through 3 H5is in less than 8 months, my money is that it's on the unit itself and not the humidifier. I wonder if they'd be willing to take it for trade for a replacement of the same (i.e. refurbish it).

Please see my next message. TY

Last edited by DeeCPAP on Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

DeeCPAP

Post by DeeCPAP » Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:27 am

Thanks. Good idea. I'll call them now, but this is not a good DME and they give me a hard time. It's Saturday but I'll call them anyway -- and won't expect a prompt response. This almost feels like the last straw... without good sleep I get even more depressed than usual.

DeeCPAP wrote:
Roman Hokie wrote:Variables being what they are, the fact that you've been through 3 H5is in less than 8 months, my money is that it's on the unit itself and not the humidifier. I wonder if they'd be willing to take it for trade for a replacement of the same (i.e. refurbish it).

The humidifier itself was replaced, not the machine. Nevertheless, the DME is not calling me back. The whole ordeal is making me ill and I'm extremely depressed.

DeeCPAP

Post by DeeCPAP » Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:37 am

DeeCPAP wrote:

The humidifier itself was replaced, not the machine. Nevertheless, the DME is not calling me back. The whole ordeal is making me ill and I'm extremely depressed. I checked and I'm not due another machine until Aug. 2017. I've hated using a cpap since I got it and won't enumerate the issues, but add this to the other things I'm going through and it only exacerbates extreme depression.

I have a call into the DME now, so thanks again for the idea. Maybe they'll rent me one to wear starting tonight.

DeeCPAP

Post by DeeCPAP » Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:53 am

This is a follow up: The DME called me back and said they don't have another machine, but they do have another humidifier. I told him I don't want a FOURTH humidifier, I need a machine that works and that I wanted to talk to the supervisor about this. I hope I get a call soon!

How many reputable DME's dont have replacement machines in case of an emergency... unbelievable.

--------------------------------
CONTINUED: Again they called back and I had to argue with them again because they made excuses (and the supervisor didn't call back as I'd requested). The bottom line of what I said is, if you want to be known as a reputable company then act like one. I need a working machine tonight! I hope they resolve this fast. I have health problems that exacerbate if I don't wear my CPAP.

Last edited by DeeCPAP on Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Roman Hokie

Post by Roman Hokie » Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:06 am

DeeCPAP wrote:This is a follow up: The DME called me back and said they don't have another machine, but they do have another humidifier. I told him I don't want a FOURTH humidifier, I need a machine that works and that I wanted to talk to the supervisor about this. I hope I get a call soon!

How many reputable DME's dont have replacement machines in case of an emergency... unbelievable.
You have any other DME options in town? Sure, you'll need to get a copy of your Rx to them (and check insurance and all that crap), but shop it if you can. And I realize that it's the weekend and more frustration may ensue. Sorry you're getting blocked by your DME.

DeeCPAP

Post by DeeCPAP » Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:16 am

Roman Hokie wrote:
DeeCPAP wrote:This is a follow up: The DME called me back and said they don't have another machine, but they do have another humidifier. I told him I don't want a FOURTH humidifier, I need a machine that works and that I wanted to talk to the supervisor about this. I hope I get a call soon!

You have any other DME options in town? Sure, you'll need to get a copy of your Rx to them (and check insurance and all that crap), but shop it if you can. And I realize that it's the weekend and more frustration may ensue. Sorry you're getting blocked by your DME.
Roman Hokie wrote:

Thanks again, Roman. I'm expecting them to call me back again. I told them what you said .. about it probably being a problem with the machine since I've had three humidifier replacements. For one, my fibromyalgia is worse today and I can't go shopping for another machine for tonight. To not have a backup machine for one of their ResMed machines (S9 or ANY cpap machine) then something is wrong with their company, but I bet they're not telling the truth. Time will tell...

Roman Hokie

Post by Roman Hokie » Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:36 am

Here's the thing about any business. Inventory costs them money. Their job is distribution. Get it in, set it up, get it out to the consumer. A machine in stock is not making them money.

Which makes it weird that car dealerships tout hundreds of cars on a lot...

DeeCPAP

Post by DeeCPAP » Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:02 pm

Roman Hokie wrote:Here's the thing about any business. Inventory costs them money. Their job is distribution. Get it in, set it up, get it out to the consumer. A machine in stock is not making them money.

Which makes it weird that car dealerships tout hundreds of cars on a lot...
Yes, exactly!

Here's the follow up. I didn't get a call back from them so I called their emergency number AGAIN. They did not return my call so I called the number of the respiratory guy by pressing redial. He told me I would have to wait until Monday and they'd see if my machine was still under warranty. I told him it may not be because they replaced the humidifier (for the 3rd time) the last month of the warranty BUT that the humidifier problem started many months before that and that the problem probably isn't the humidifier because I've had three of them so it's probably the machine itself.

He said he'd bring out a replacement on Monday ... as if I can believe what they say....