Heated Hose

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Greyfort

Heated Hose

Post by Greyfort » Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:40 pm

Hi. I just had my follow-up session at the sleep centre last night and they've upped my pressure from 9 to 11. I woke up this morning feeling freezing from the cold air going down my throat and my mouth felt like the Sahara Desert.

So now I'm thinking about a heated hose. What do I need to get?

Pugsy

Re: Heated Hose

Post by Pugsy » Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:53 pm

Depends on what machine you are using.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

JDS74

Post by JDS74 » Sat Nov 07, 2015 3:20 pm

Re what Pugsy posted:
For example:
If you have a ResMed machine, then its a Climateline hose.
If you have a Respironics 60 series machine, then its a Respironics heated hose.
Both of these require a heated humidifier to work properly.
If you have a Respironics 50 series machine or older, then you need a Cybernite heated hose.

In addition to the heated hose, you will also need ( likely ) to increase the humidity setting on your humidifier, assuming you have one. Or get a humidifier for your system.

Other questions about your equipment configurations have to do with the mask you are using, whether or not you are having significant leaks, etc.

It will be helpful if you post your equipment configuration using the User Control Panel.
Then more targeted information will be available.

Last edited by JDS74 on Sun Nov 08, 2015 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oracle 452 Lessons Learned Updated
DSX900 AutoSV with HC150 extra humidifier and Hibernite heated hose
Settings: EPAP Min-10.0, EPAP Max-17, PS Min-3, PS Max-10, Max Pressure-20, Rate-Auto, Biflex-1.
Sleepyhead and Encore Pro 2.21.

MaskingtheNightAway

Post by MaskingtheNightAway » Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:18 pm

I have used a heated respirator for many years. I just got a heated hose a few days ago. I did not like the feeling of HOT AIR in my mask from the heated hose.

I had it set to #3. Turned it down to 2, but felt the moisture was not there. Last night, I turned off the heated hose, set the humidifier back up to 3 and all seems OK.

After all these years wondering if the heated hose would be an improvement, I'm kind of disappointed to see it did not work for me. Plus, $58.00 for a replacement heated hose versus $10.00 for a standard hose is a bit much.

I'll try the heated hose again in the middle of winter if I start getting rainout in my hose. I think a heated hose might help with that, but I did not like the hot air feeling.

I bought a couple of long velcro straps last spring to attach my hose to the top of the head board. It keeps the hose up and I find it also keeps it from rattling and banging on the headboard as much as it used to. The high loop may also help with rain out in the middle of winter.

Ricochet

Post by Ricochet » Sun Nov 08, 2015 4:40 pm

Have you tried a hose cover ?
My Buddy

SimbaLion

Post by SimbaLion » Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:07 pm

MaskingtheNightAway wrote:I have used a heated respirator for many years. I just got a heated hose a few days ago. I did not like the feeling of HOT AIR in my mask from the heated hose.
After reading this, I'm a bit curious how hot a heated hose is supposed to be -- I have a ClimateLine heated hose and honestly, I've always wondered if it's "on" at all because I don't think it even gets warm...I would think the hose would have to get pretty warm to heat the air enough to be shooting "hot air" at you? Is this normal? Or is my experience (not very noticeable warmth even on touching the hose) normal?

PoolQ

Post by PoolQ » Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:19 am

Well I could be totally wrong here (but I don't think so)
The heated hose is NOT for heating the air, it is for actually heating the hose so you don't get rainout. This is why a hose cover works for rainout also. When warm moist air goes into the hose, if the hose is colder than the air you will condense water on the inside of the tube-rainout. If the tube is warmer or as warm as the air then no rainout. The heated hose of course heats up the plastic tube and the hose cover insulates the hose from the colder bedroom so the warm air in the hose can heat up the tube and have it stay warm.

On the Resmed machines the water tank has a metal bottom on it, this is for heating the water and breathing air to your preferred temperature.
Sleeping MUCH better now

WindCpap

Post by WindCpap » Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:52 am

The climate line does heat the air. there is a temperature probe at the end in the airstream that you can see. The max temp is below body temp, so it still feels cool though less cool.

The big advantage is that as your room temperature cools, you can have constant humidity and temperature for breathing.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:07 am

A heated hose does warm the air and can make a substantial improvement if the air is feeling too cool and/or uncomfortable. A lot of it depends on the ambient room temp and what someone might prefer.

When I was first using my PR S1 machine (before heated hoses were available for it) I was having what I call "ice cube nose syndrome" in the winter even with max humidifier setting. It just wasn't warming the incoming air enough because my bedroom air was quite cool. It woke me up the cold air going up my nose...my nose actually hurt from the cold.
So when I finally got a machine that was heated hose capable I was dancing for joy...no more ice cube nose.

The air going to the mask isn't "hot" but some people just don't like warmer air and feel better with cooler air...again a lot is going to depend on a person's preferences and/or their ambient bedroom temp.
My mom keeps her house at 78 degrees in the winter...geez...that is WAY to warm for me to sleep comfortably but I sure wouldn't need a heated hose though.

The most that a ResMed machine can warm the air to is 86 degrees and that is going to be cooler than the body temp so it won't necessarily feel "warm" but it is warmer than room air.

If someone is experiencing the sensation that the air is too cool for comfort...use a heated hose...you can always turn it down if not much added warmth is needed...plus you get the benefit of condensation (rain out) prevention. Win- win situation.
I use my heated hose year round and just change the hose air temp...in the winter I will use in the 80s and in the summer I turn it way down so it doesn't add much warmth and I keep the humidity level constant no matter what temp I use.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Viperchic

Post by Viperchic » Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:32 am

So the higher the hose temp, the less rainout, correct? Last night was my first night at home with my machine and I had quite a bit of rainout.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:00 am

Viperchic wrote:So the higher the hose temp, the less rainout, correct? Last night was my first night at home with my machine and I had quite a bit of rainout.
Yep...warmer air will hold more moisture so less chance of cooling to the point of releasing the moisture and having condensation happen.

One can also increase the ambient room air temp but sometimes we don't like warmer ambient room air...or don't like it warm enough to prevent the cooling. It's easier to just warm the air in the hose.

WindCpap

Post by WindCpap » Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:10 pm

Viperchic wrote:So the higher the hose temp, the less rainout, correct? Last night was my first night at home with my machine and I had quite a bit of rainout.
I can't comment on other systems, but the Resmed Climateline, and Climateline Air eliminate rainout regardless of set hose temperature providing you put the humidity on automatic. The idea is that the humidifier will be set so that the relative humidity in the air is always 80% (You need close to 100% for rainout). Basically, the warmer you set the air, the more moisture is used.