need advice pl

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Ricci

need advice pl

Post by Ricci » Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:41 am

Hey all
i was new to cpap on the 9-3-15
study was done on 9-1-15
got my machine and make on the 3rd AirSense™ 10 AutoSet CPAP Machine with HumidAir™ Heated Humidifier
Mask was the Mirage™ FX Nasal CPAP Mask with Headgear
i liked the mask and machine EXCEPT when i slept on my side. the mask would leak even after tightening.

so i was watching Jasons (AKA TheLankyLefty) nasal mask review for the
ResMed Swift FX Nano
review here http://freecpapadvice.com/swift-fx-nano
video here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ay33IzWC0c
once watching this i thought it was something i wanted to try
my provider said no one liked it so they don't carry it and would not order it for me (found out later this was not true
and lied about both.. they did have it in stock and if they did happen to not have something i wanted they WOULD order it..
told this by the owner (a very nice person) and even offered to let me try it on right there
kinda sad now i left them because of one bad apple that she said she would not tolerate him doing that and was sorry
she and everyone else was still very nice, even though i had dropped them
BUT it was 2 late i had my script sent to another provider...................

now I'm at a quandary ..
i thinking i want the new machine Respironics Dreamstation
this puppy seems awesome BUT no one has it in stock yet
what should i do ?
or maybe what would you do ?
my new provider said they can hold the order till they get them
and they DO carry the ResMed Swift FX Nano

should i wait for the "dream machine" or go back to what i had (i heard.... but could not find again,to confirm .. it has a release date of September 20 something (maybe it was the 25th)
i could also go Philips Remstar series 60..or some other

should i push for and will i like the ResMed Swift FX Nano mask ?
anyone using it ?

i should note 2 things

1) i tried a new mask that is called "DreamWear Mask from Philips Respironics"
it's like an air pillow without the pillows
found a link https://www.flickr.com/photos/philips_n ... 941509342/

2) BUT i did find out one thing, i can not exhale well with these pillow like or pillows in general
i think my lungs are to weak from smoking (i know stop)
anyway i need to be able to exhale easily

i suffer from extremely bad anxiety disorder
and the one thing i like about nose masks is you can feel the air blowing on your nose
this air flowing comforts me and allows me to wear a mask, whiteout causing a panic attack

thanks
Last edited by Ricci on Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PoolQ

Re: need advice pl

Post by PoolQ » Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:14 pm

First I suggest RELAX you are in the right place and asking some good questions.
As for the machines: from everything I have read, the latest machines including the series 60 and the Resmed machines all do the same therapy and it seems for 99% do the same comfort settings. If you are on an insurance rental for your machine (I am) you can change to a different machine anytime your doctor says you need something different. So if you are in the 1% it won't be a problem.

Being on the right machine is the easy part. The next focus area is the right mask: comfort and leaks, so you will use the machine. Next comes machine comfort settings, again so you will use the machine and get good sleep.

Please don't assume that a tighter mask is the way to fix leaks, for some it is and others need to "float" to seal well.

Another suggestion: when we start CPAP we have no experience with all the new feelings we will be experiencing and we tend to get it wrong. For example higher air pressure in my nose feels like I am congested when I am not. So when you are using your machine and your brain says "HEY! your _____" stop and think about it, what could your machine be doing that could make you feel the same way, then you can decide if you can do something about it or if you can just get used to it because its not really "____".

It's going to take some getting used to and it is a journey, but well worth it.
Sleeping MUCH better now

Ricci

Post by Ricci » Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:23 pm

ya I'm on Medicare so i get one shot at this in 5 years as multiple providers told me
Please don't assume that a tighter mask is the way to fix leaks, for some it is and others need to "float" to seal well.
i did not know this thanks

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:34 pm

I voted OTHER....You are not scoring any points by starting a Poll for a simple question. You can answer the question by reading some posts.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:49 pm

I wouldn't be counting on POLL'S for info on how to run my life. Others know nothing of your true needs or your circumstances, I'd research all the available machines, noting that the most costly and newest, don't mean they are better than the older versions. Then I'd chose what was the better deal for me.

Only time will tell the quality of what you buy. The opinion of others are just that, opinions, some guided, some mis-guided, many just STROKES, in vein attempt to have a voice is something, even if it's only talking to a blank wall.

I dislike Resmed, as a company, and their voltage choice is not camper friendly, but they all blow air. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

Ricci

Post by Ricci » Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:53 pm

LSAT wrote:I voted OTHER....You are not scoring any points by starting a Poll for a simple question. You can answer the question by reading some posts.
Goofproof wrote:I wouldn't be counting on POLL'S for info on how to run my life. Others know nothing of your true needs or your circumstances

fine i'll get rid of the poll
thought it was a good way to see what others thought

LSAT
i like how you only post on my Topic to complain

Goofproof
you are right

MaskingtheNightAway

Post by MaskingtheNightAway » Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:07 pm

It always seems to me that many Doctors, DMEs, and Sleep Techs steer people towards nasal masks or pillows. If they actually used a CPAP, Flex, or APAP machine they would understand the flaws of not covering both the mouth and nose together for effective treatment.

I've watched others use straps to hold their mouth closed and keep the jaw from dropping when they fall asleep. It is more cumbersome than just getting the best or most comfortable full face mask and accepting that the therapy will work. So much is made about claustrophobia that really places an extra burden on the minds of some new patients.

I use a ResMed quattro full face and have no issues with mouth bypassing. The therapy pressure inflates the mask cushion on my face and you just get used to it.
Sure, there are always some times when you roll on your side and get a cushion leak, or the mask air vent seems to blow back off of the pillow or the hose, but at least I am sure my therapy is working. Nasal pillows or nasal only masks just let the pressure blow right back out of the mouth and there is no therapy. And all that air rushing out of your mouth will definitely DRY you out.

Stick with it and learn to use a full face mask. I sure am glad I did early on in my CPAP life. I've used the machines for almost 12 years.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:41 pm

MaskingtheNightAway wrote:It always seems to me that many Doctors, DMEs, and Sleep Techs steer people towards nasal masks or pillows. If they actually used a CPAP, Flex, or APAP machine they would understand the flaws of not covering both the mouth and nose together for effective treatment.

I've watched others use straps to hold their mouth closed and keep the jaw from dropping when they fall asleep. It is more cumbersome than just getting the best or most comfortable full face mask and accepting that the therapy will work. So much is made about claustrophobia that really places an extra burden on the minds of some new patients.

I use a ResMed quattro full face and have no issues with mouth bypassing. The therapy pressure inflates the mask cushion on my face and you just get used to it.
Sure, there are always some times when you roll on your side and get a cushion leak, or the mask air vent seems to blow back off of the pillow or the hose, but at least I am sure my therapy is working. Nasal pillows or nasal only masks just let the pressure blow right back out of the mouth and there is no therapy. And all that air rushing out of your mouth will definitely DRY you out.

Stick with it and learn to use a full face mask. I sure am glad I did early on in my CPAP life. I've used the machines for almost 12 years.
Good post, more profit to be made on nasal masks, simple to sell, why would they care about your sucessful treatment, they can always SELL you something else for more PROFIT. It pays to find both kinds that work for you, and carefully monitor your leak rate, also to know if the data can be trusted. Jim

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

PoolQ

Post by PoolQ » Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:07 pm

To "float" a mask I put the mask on, start the air flow then slowly pull the mask away from my face and let the silicon seal expand and fit to my face, I then let go of the mask.
Sleeping MUCH better now

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:52 pm

PoolQ wrote:To "float" a mask I put the mask on, start the air flow then slowly pull the mask away from my face and let the silicon seal expand and fit to my face, I then let go of the mask.
And to adjust the straps, I bring the machine to max treatment pressure, lie down and hold the mask against my face, at that pressure, to find t h e position as nd pressure that best stops the leaks. Then I adjust the straps to hold the position then tighten them just a little tighter.

I find that the face superstructure over time molds to the mask. Some people may think this is a bad thing, but vanity be dammed, my leak rate comes first..... Jim

Ricci

Post by Ricci » Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:35 pm

thanks to everyone that has responded
that's a wealth of information
i am realizing from all your comments here that
a certain mask just because it ranks high in reviews may not even work for me
like pillows i don't think I'll ever be able to use them after my test with the
DreamWear Mask
i am certain though the Mirage™ FX may not be the best for "me"
while it was a good mask and comfortable while i laid on my back
i usually fall asleep on my side that is when it would leek

i may not be able to tolerate full face masks because (unimportant story skip the next part if you don't care)
the first mask the sleep study people tried was a full face mask
i did manage to fall sleep, but woke up in a severe panic attack not being able
to breath, or thinking I couldn't breath....and tore the mask off.. that's when they tried
the Mirage™ FX, that helped because in an emergency i could open my mouth
to breath, at least that's what my anxiety disorder was telling me. and if my
anxiety disorder is happy so am i LOL.

so that kills 2 out of the 3 types of masks
and leaves only nose masks

thanks for the comments
Peace
Ricci

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:42 pm

For side sleeping, hang you mask and head off the end of the pillow, I put my hand under the pillow and my head also. Jim

zoocrewphoto

Post by zoocrewphoto » Sat Sep 19, 2015 1:24 am

The pressure may have been too low when you tried the full face mask and panicked. Lots of people have trouble when the pressure is too low. If you are feeling the need to open your mouth, the therapy won't work. If this happened at the beginning of the titration, the machine was probably at low pressure. You may find that a full face mask feels fine at a higher pressure.

Who would have thought it would be this challenging to sleep and breathe at the same time?