Have machine, but never done study

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Anonymous Coward

Have machine, but never done study

Post by Anonymous Coward » Thu May 14, 2015 9:55 am

For years I've snored horribly. I've even woken up choking on rare occasions. There is no doubt in anyones mind who's experienced me sleeping that I have Sleep Apnea...

I have no insurance to help me cover the cost for a sleep study, and even if I did, I'd probably have to pay to meet a deductible anyway.

I have an apnea machine a friend gave me. I can see no way to adjust it's air pressure.

Is there any hazard to using a sleep apnea machine without having gone through a sleep study? Will using this apnea machine be ineffective because I have not done the study to find out what my air pressure should be?

Any advice would be hot. Thank you.

Julie

Re: Have machine, but never done study

Post by Julie » Thu May 14, 2015 10:02 am

Tell us what all the wording on top of the machine is, and after emptying humidifier water (if you put some in), turn the machine over and again tell us what all the wording is... without that we can't really help, though would like to. Put the info in this thread please.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu May 14, 2015 10:12 am

Once you have figured out exactly which model machine (this link might also help with that) go here and get the provider manual so you can figure out how to set the pressure.
http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-p ... tup-manual
Depending on which model you have....what you want to do can be done but it is more difficult with older machines due to lack of available data on some of those machines.

So it all depends on which brand and model you have as to how easy or not you can self titrate.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

SleepWellCPAP

Post by SleepWellCPAP » Thu May 14, 2015 10:47 am

Once you have determined what machine you have and how to adjust it, I have found an initial trial setting between 8 and 10 centimeters of water a good place to start. For the gentlemen I suggest 10 to 12.

Regarding any hazard from using a machine without having gone through a "titration study", I have not heard of any.

Good luck!
Jim Swearingen
Author of the book Sleep Well & Feel Great with CPAP, a definitive guide
For a free copy inquire with your local county librarian
CPAPtalk featured - Also available through Barnes & Noble Booksellers

Pesser

Post by Pesser » Thu May 14, 2015 10:57 am

You're doing what I and many others have done. Do everything slowly and you should be OK.