Another newbie - bipap mask issues and desperate for help

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
GSteele

Another newbie - bipap mask issues and desperate for help

Post by GSteele » Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:04 pm

Just started with my bipap machine - went through nine masks over a 2+ hour fitting at the medical supply. They sent me home with three different ones to try because of leakage. I have a full beard, and my nose has been broked a time or two -so I lead out the bridge of my nose, and it doesn't seem to have trouble sealing on the beard, but the technicians were concerned about it over the long term. I asked for the larger, full face mask that's similar to a firefighter -but the seal across the forehead blew out when the pressure started. My settings are 23/18 - I was diagnosed at a 65 - they indicated that's pretty bad.

Is there anyone out there with a clue what kind of a mask I should be going for. I kept mine on for 8 hours last night, but my machine logged a sad, red face on the seal report. I need help.

Thank you in advance for your consideration!

bwexler

Re: Another newbie - bipap mask issues and desperate for help

Post by bwexler » Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:17 pm

If you can keep your mouth shut, nasal pillows might be the best fit for you. They won't care about the beard unless it originates in your nostrils. Another possibility is the TapPap nasal pillows.
Taming the leaks, mouth breathing, are among the major obstacles on the road to success. A beard definitely does not make it easier.

kteague

Post by kteague » Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:53 pm

I'm with bwexler on using a nasal pillows mask if it's an option since it would solve both the beard and bridge of nose issues. If you must have a full face mask, one of the Hybrid style masks could help you bypass the nose issue at least. Maybe someone with a beard can tell you if mask liners help when a beard is causing the leaks.

kaiasgram

Post by kaiasgram » Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:13 pm

I'll add my vote for giving nasal pillow masks a try. Often the providers won't even bring out a nasal pillow mask for you to try because they believe that NP masks don't work with higher pressures. But many experienced folks here say otherwise. You would need to keep your mouth closed to use an NP mask successfully and many folks have found ways to do that and will share with you should you decide to try one.

In the full face line both the Liberty and the Hybrid are full face masks but the nasal portion of the mask is a nasal pillow design -- as kteague said that may be another option. My cousin is on bipap with a pressure around 25 and uses the Hybrid quite successfully.

Bill44133

Post by Bill44133 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:28 pm

Not sure if it will work with a beard, but
I use the Zzz-Mask Full Face CPAP Mask by Probasics.

I like that it does not have the forehead support, and more then anything else I like the price. Compared the price to Resmed masks this mask is half price, and the replacement cushions are about half also. The mask works well for me, but every one is different. Like you I have high pressure settings of 23/19, and so far this mask serves me well.

I wish you well...

Additional Comments: Settings are IPap 23 EPap 19

purple

Post by purple » Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:58 am

The mask of the Last Resort, and you are probably not at the last resort yet. FitLife Total Face mask. Sheriff Buford has a list of little hints to try to help make it more comfortable, usable.

I would say to use a mask liner, like the ones which are provided by padacheek.com, only one satisfied customer, no relationship. One can make an excellent mask liner from an old 100 percent cotton T-Shirt.

With the FitLife, it has the largest intentional, allowed leak of any mask, do not cut off the flow around the nozzle, also leaks from the flapper valve. All that is normal.

I know I can use the mask better by using another external strap across the plastic face of the mask (ONCE AGAIN: Do NOT block the outgoing airflow around the nozzle. but I rarely use an external strap ( I bought mine also from padacheek, aka Karen).

I also use a hose hanger. A hose hanger can be as simple as tying the hose up on the head board somewhere. A hose hanger helps to reduce tension on hose pulling on the mask and causing leaks. Also helps to keep one from accidentally pulling the machine off onto the floor.

Bridge of the nose problems can be helped by using Mole Skin, which is a totally synthetic product one can find the foot care section of grocery stores, pharmacies. Comes in little sheets that are sticky on one side, and furry on the other that can be cut with scissors to the size you need.

I have found, that in the morning, after I shave, and while my face is still wet, I can put some really good skin oil on my face. This helps to make my skin flexible, after a few days, and allows my face to better shape itself to the mask. However, this oil is bad for the silicon of the mask, so I have to wash it off before strapping the mask on.

As you have no doubt already been advised, be careful how you clean the silicon on the mask(s), Pillows, as they become less flexible if washed with some things, or are exposed to alcohol and such. Less Flexible means they will leak more.

Not sure how the beard and the FitLife would work together very well, especially with high pressure. The FitLife is called the mask of the Last Resort for some very good reasons. I need to use it because the two sides of my face are uneven. Likely best for you to try every other possible mask first.

EDIT: Curiously today, I was just told that to apply oil to the skin, the best way is to dry the skin, then immediately put the oil on. The pores of the skin is open right after the skin is dried. In a short time after drying, the pores close. Mixing with water only inhibits getting oil into the pores.
Last edited by purple on Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:39 am

My husband wears his FitLife mask (the fireman style), but he pulls the bottom down UNDER his chin.
With his beard, the seal is better that way. DME's are not as creative as my sweet bullfrog!

popcpoo

Post by popcpoo » Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:12 pm

You may not like the idea, but you may have to shave. When I had my first titration study, I had a beard and had a hard time finding a mask that would seal properly. After wearing a beard for over 30 years, I shaved prior to my second titration study. They had no trouble getting a good seal. I too am at a relatively high pressure. I use a bipap machine with 15 - 20 EPAP and 20 - 25 EPAP. If you haven't tried mask liners, they might help. REMZZZs are designed for one time use and can get rather pricy after a while. They sell trial packages of 6 which would be enough to tell if they will help. If they do, use one of them as a pattern and make your own out of either old tee shirts or use baby flannel (think receiving blankets).