It happened last night I didn't die!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
nobody

Post by nobody » Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:05 am

Many nights of taping so I can use the little nasal mask instead of the FFM. Last night I woke up in a bit of a panic because I couldn't breathe. My nose was completely congested (humidifier was not on) and I'd tried to open my mouth to take a breath and of course couldn't because of the tape. I always make a tab so I can tear it off easily. So everything was fine and I got set up again and my nose cleared and went back to sleep. Just had to share because I remember all the trolls in here saying you're going to suffocate and die if you tape. Unless you're drunk or on some heavy drugs that keep you out, I'm pretty sure you'll wake up before you suffocate and die. That's what happened to me last night. That's all.

Sheriff Buford

Re: It happened last night I didn't die!

Post by Sheriff Buford » Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:34 am

Good news! Lots of folks here taped or have taped.

Sheriff

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:06 am

nobody wrote:Many nights of taping so I can use the little nasal mask instead of the FFM. Last night I woke up in a bit of a panic because I couldn't breathe. My nose was completely congested (humidifier was not on) and I'd tried to open my mouth to take a breath and of course couldn't because of the tape. I always make a tab so I can tear it off easily. So everything was fine and I got set up again and my nose cleared and went back to sleep. Just had to share because I remember all the trolls in here saying you're going to suffocate and die if you tape. Unless you're drunk or on some heavy drugs that keep you out, I'm pretty sure you'll wake up before you suffocate and die. That's what happened to me last night. That's all.
In my 8 years here, I don't think I ever heard it put that way. I do remember a poster saying that their doctor told them that.

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:43 am

nobody wrote:Many nights of taping so I can use the little nasal mask instead of the FFM. Last night I woke up in a bit of a panic because I couldn't breathe. My nose was completely congested (humidifier was not on) and I'd tried to open my mouth to take a breath and of course couldn't because of the tape. I always make a tab so I can tear it off easily. So everything was fine and I got set up again and my nose cleared and went back to sleep. Just had to share because I remember all the trolls in here saying you're going to suffocate and die if you tape. Unless you're drunk or on some heavy drugs that keep you out, I'm pretty sure you'll wake up before you suffocate and die. That's what happened to me last night. That's all.
Perhaps not ideal, by you've got to do what you've got to do. You must treat your SDB, it's a killer!

nobody

Post by nobody » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:51 am

LSAT wrote:
In my 8 years here, I don't think I ever heard it put that way. I do remember a poster saying that their doctor told them that.
Just search taping in posts of a user called archangel. Don't think he's a troll exactly, there was another one some years back, but I've since forgot all the various names he used.

grayghost4

Post by grayghost4 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:43 am

I think you are correct ... you will wake up .... But :

the ones that did die were not able to tell us about it

I find a mouth guard and a cervical collar works better for me than taping.
Last edited by grayghost4 on Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you're not part of the solution you're just scumming up the bottom of the beaker!

Get the Clinicians manual here : http://apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-press ... tup-manual

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:45 am

One size does NOT fit all! This is why docs and RT's try to cover their butts.
A few people may have the slight risk of taping complications, but most will not--most of the time.
If it is too uncomfortable or too scary, don't do it. You are the best judge of what is right for YOU.
We can only relate that it can be successful, and often is. Apnea is the greater danger.

Krelvin

Post by Krelvin » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:57 pm

grayghost4 wrote:the ones that did die were not able to tell us about it Image
+1
Current Settings PS 4.0 over 10.6-18.0 (cmH2O) - Resmed S9 VPAP Auto w/h5i Humidifier - Quattro Air FFM
TNET Sleep Resource Pages - CPAP Machine Database
Put your equip in your Signature - SleepyHead v1.0.0-beta-1
Kevin... alias Krelvin

JDS74

Post by JDS74 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:26 pm

In the circumstances you describe, all was well with just a little dose of annoyance.
But, if you had a sudden episode of projectile vomiting, then things could get very bad, very quickly. That circumstance with your mouth taped shut would almost certainly have resulting in aspiration of vomitus into the lungs.

Oracle 452 Lessons Learned Updated
DSX900 AutoSV with HC150 extra humidifier and Hibernite heated hose
Settings: EPAP Min-10.0, EPAP Max-17, PS Min-3, PS Max-10, Max Pressure-20, Rate-Auto, Biflex-1.
Sleepyhead and Encore Pro 2.21.

poppi2

Post by poppi2 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:30 pm

I think Archangle was trying to make us aware of aspiration pneumonia.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:21 pm

Archangle? Where?

archangle

Post by archangle » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:23 pm

Aspiration pneumonia is a risk if you can't get the tape off quickly enough. Could be a problem if your tape is really sticky or you're drunk, sedated, drugged, etc.

As grayghost said, if anyone suffocated in their sleep from taping they're not going to post about it here. The coroner will probably say "died quietly in their sleep" as far as the coroner is concerned, and no investigation will happen. I'm not sure an autopsy would show what happened anyway.

The really big problem with taping your mouth is that low oxygen can make people lose consciousness without ever realizing anything is happening. Look up "confined space training" for information on how people die from this in industrial settings entering enclosed spaces like tanks or even underground water drains.

You can walk into a confined area where the oxygen is low, and pass out without ever noticing anything is wrong.

Most of us DO wake up if our CPAP cuts off, but is that 100% guaranteed? If you look at the results of people's sleep test or CPAP airflow waveforms, you'll find yourself wondering how they can stop breathing for that long and not wake up. Don't forget people with CA where they have some sort of neurological problem where they simply stop breathing. Then throw in people who are drunk, on illegal drugs, on legal sedatives, using a legal drug with side effects, senile, injured, ill, etc. Their "suffocation alert" system might not be working right.

Also realize that having your CPAP stop is different from having your airway blocked. It's not like choking on something. You still can inhale and exhale. It's just the the O2 level keeps dropping. Luckily, the CO2 level goes up, which tends to wake most of us up before it's too late.

Will it kill you? Probably not, but the FDA and the CPAP manufacturers are sure worried about it. Why else would they go to such efforts to make sure all full face masks have anti-ASPHYXIA valves?

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

archangle

Post by archangle » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:23 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:Archangle? Where?
I think he's dead.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

LAGrandpa

Post by LAGrandpa » Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:51 am

archangle wrote:
chunkyfrog wrote:Archangle? Where?
I think he's dead.
Was it from tapping his mouth?

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:20 pm

Too bad. I'll mis him.
He should have been using a chin up strip.