0.00 AHI But I Don't Believe It

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Holden4th

0.00 AHI But I Don't Believe It

Post by Holden4th » Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:54 am

Last night I had the perfect score but being the skeptic that I am I question the result.

The last 30 minutes of sleep was the usual half awake dozing and this is where SWJ usually comes in yet it isn't in the data. This is what's making me wonder if the figures are actually correct.

That said, most of my results over the last few weeks have been below 1.0 and I've been getting through the day quite well.

here's last night's SH Data

https://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1143x ... lPGDVc.png

palerider

Re: 0.00 AHI But I Don't Believe It

Post by palerider » Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:15 am

Holden4th wrote:Last night I had the perfect score but being the skeptic that I am I question the result.
if you don't believe it, then zoom in on the flow strip until you can see each breath, and look for any periods where you don't breath for 10 seconds or more.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Sheriff Buford

Post by Sheriff Buford » Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:46 am

I've been getting zero's two or three times a month for years. I don't know why it happens, and I don't suspect machine malfunction. I do notice I don't feel as well when I get them, but it is what it is.

Sheriff

robysue

Post by robysue » Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:44 am

Holden4th wrote: The last 30 minutes of sleep was the usual half awake dozing and this is where SWJ usually comes in yet it isn't in the data. This is what's making me wonder if the figures are actually correct.
Not everybody's wake breathing is ragged enough to cause the machine to score "false" events when they're dozing.

And for some people, SWJ breathing "events" sometimes show up and sometimes don't. Sometimes it's as simple as how relaxed you are during the half awake/half dozing period.
That said, most of my results over the last few weeks have been below 1.0 and I've been getting through the day quite well.
That bold faced statement is the critical piece of data at this point: If your machine AHI is usually below 1.0 (or even 2.0 or 3.0) AND you are feeling good, then your xPAP therapy is pretty much optimized and there's not much point in worrying about any one day's data.

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:55 am

What is it when it's not zero? If it's frequently below one, then it sounds reasonable. If it's frequently above three, then it's questionable.

Also, you did have several RERA (REspiratory Related Arousals). Those are not considered serious enough to be counted (according to current standards), but they indicate events that were sensed.

archangle

Post by archangle » Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:37 pm

Mine is frequently 0, and I believe it. On nights it's not zero, I often have only one or two AHI causing events.

However there has been some speculation that S9 machines (and some others) may get "stuck" on 0. See if it continues to be zero. If it's "stuck," unplug the power for a minute or so to reset the computer inside the CPAP machine.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:49 pm

archangle wrote: However there has been some speculation that S9 machines (and some others) may get "stuck" on 0. See if it continues to be zero. If it's "stuck," unplug the power for a minute or so to reset the computer inside the CPAP machine.
OP is using a Respironics PR S1 560 machine and I have never heard of a Respironics machine acting up like the "stuck S9" thing.
Holden4th wrote:Last night I had the perfect score but being the skeptic that I am I question the result.

The last 30 minutes of sleep was the usual half awake dozing and this is where SWJ usually comes in yet it isn't in the data. This is what's making me wonder if the figures are actually correct.
I believe it. And even though you know you had some awake breathing being recorded I bet it is like RobySue said...your awake breathing was nice and regular. Awake breathing isn't always irregular...now it can be irregular but it isn't always irregular. I have often woke up and just lay there for 10 minutes or so and breathe nice and regular and smooth and nothing gets flagged.
Or when I test a machine for an hour while awake and watching TV...nothing gets flagged because the breathing is nice and smooth.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

cands

Post by cands » Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:28 pm

I have the occasional 0.00 night. I don't record any SWJ, so I must breathe regularly during that period. Sometimes when I am just about to get up, turning on the light, looking at the time, reaching over to turn the machine off, I must hold my breath a little. I feel the little pulses and that is a reminder to breathe.

Last week I had two 0.00 nights in a row. It did cross my mind that something might be wrong with the machine, but no, everything is fine. (Just had a couple of really good nights)

SewTired

Post by SewTired » Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:51 pm

I frequently get 0.0. Remember that your machine is set to flag events that last 10 seconds or more. You may still HAVE events, but they don't last 10 seconds with the therapy settings you currently have. I think you can adjust that in Sleepyhead settings to see, but it's kindof pointless really.

Airsense For Her; Settings: range 8-12, Airfit P10 (M)

Holden4th

Post by Holden4th » Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:18 am

OK, I believe it and said a silent Woohoo when I read these posts. Thanks for the supportive comments.

As far as SWJ goes, I am very comfortable lying awake with the mask on, in fact I don't want to take it off. Maybe this contributes to a regular breathing pattern. IDRK

Last night was 0.38 but I did have an RERA reading of 3.4. Maybe celebrating my 'perfect' night affected those results.