Phillips / Philips Respironics recent recall notice discussion thread

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Dan_McD

Re: Sticky: Phillips Respironics recent recall notice discussion thread

Post by Dan_McD » Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:06 pm

Pugsy wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 6:08 pm
kbh209 wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:52 pm
If I'm not seeing any "foam particles" in the humidifier, tubing or my mask, I should in theory still be using my machine , so I don't fall asleep permanently, right?
I am sorry but you are asking me a question that I simply can't answer because there is so much I don't know about all this. What I know is actually very little.
I don't know if whatever particles that might be making it to the water chamber and on are even of a size that can be seen.
I don't know how much of an issue simple off gassing might be.
Just because particulates can't be seen doesn't mean they aren't present. That sort of thing.

I also know that there is a risk associated with not using cpap as well....so each person has to decide for themselves which risk scares them the worse.

I can't make that decision for someone nor will I.

I can tell a person what I would do if the only machine I had was an affected machine....and I did that a couple of times already in this thread. I might add an inline bacterial filter though. While I know it won't necessarily help much with gaseous exchange...it will catch the larger particulates. In fact Phillips recommends that patients who are on life saving ventilators that are affected to do just that.
Whatever, if ever, any protection that filter might offer....is better than no protection.
I would still proceed with obtaining a non affected machine at my earliest opportunity.
Stopping cpap for me would mean my O2 levels tanking to around 70%....that's a known risk and a pretty bad risk at that.
It scares me worse than the maybe risk of the foam maybe breaking down.
On the registration website there is a section for professionals such as doctors and sleep study clinics. It has different info than what is available to us deplorables in flyover country.

Phillips tells them that even though particles don't show up in your hose or mask that does not mean there is not degradation of the foam. It can still release the dangerous chemicals Like "Toluene Diamine", Toluene diisocyanate etc. etc. The professionals discussed this on a YouTube video and are talking like this could take a year to sort out. I'm inclined to believe it is every man or women for themselves, and to do what is best for yourself.

This is the name of the video "Impact of the Philips PAP Recall on Patient Care and Sleep Center Operations" and the link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H80vyhFb5vc

I also have O2 levels in the low 70's, plus I stop breathing at times. I also have COPD and can't even think about other crap going into my lungs. I am ordering a new Air Sense 10 and will sort this Dreamstation fiasco out while I'm still alive.

Additional Comments: Quattro FX, 1L Everflo Q Concentrator, OSCAR Software - Q-Mirage as back-up

Yousuf

Post by Yousuf » Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:43 pm

Okay, this is a pretty long thread, I don't have time to read through it all to see if this question was previously asked. Now, this recall is about units that were cleaned with the Ozone/Activated Oxygen method of cleaning, right? If you didn't use that method to clean the unit, then you should have no problems with these pieces of foam from getting into the airways, right? However, Philips will still replace your unit or parts of your unit, whether or not the damage has occurred, regardless?

zonker

Post by zonker » Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:49 pm

Yousuf wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:43 pm
Okay, this is a pretty long thread, I don't have time to read through it all to see if this question was previously asked.
you don't have time to read about something that could potentially impact your health?

:shock: :shock: :shock:
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:58 pm

Yousuf wrote:
Okay, this is a pretty long thread, I don't have time to read through it all to see if this question was previously asked. Now, this recall is about units that were cleaned with the Ozone/Activated Oxygen method of cleaning, right? If you didn't use that method to clean the unit, then you should have no problems with these pieces of foam from getting into the airways, right? However, Philips will still replace your unit or parts of your unit, whether or not the damage has occurred, regardless?
No...the recall is about devices regardless of being exposed to ozone or not.
Just read the very first post and go to the recall notice and it's all explained there.....no need to read all the other discussions...just one post...the first post...and follow the links.

Surely you have the time to do that?????

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Yousuf

Post by Yousuf » Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:55 pm

Pugsy wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:58 pm
Yousuf wrote:
Just read the very first post and go to the recall notice and it's all explained there.....no need to read all the other discussions...just one post...the first post...and follow the links.

I read the recall notice, that's why I have questions here.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:04 am

Yousuf wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:55 pm
Sigh...

read it again....

they make it pretty damn clear.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Dan_McD

Post by Dan_McD » Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:08 am

Yousuf wrote:
Pugsy wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:58 pm
Yousuf wrote:

What's your question? Other than ozone effecting the foam in the Phillip's manufactured machines. It is more than just ozone. It was an inferior and dangerous foam that deteriorated over time by heat and humidity and disintegrated and found it's way through your breathing apparatus and into your lungs. Plus... it released several chemicals some which cause irritation of the throat and my be cancerous. Next question?

Additional Comments: Quattro FX, 1L Everflo Q Concentrator, OSCAR Software - Q-Mirage as back-up

Yousuf

Post by Yousuf » Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:15 am

Pugsy wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:04 am
Yousuf wrote:
Sigh...

read it again....

Nope, it wasn't, if it was then I'd have no questions here.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:25 am

Yousuf wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:15 am
Pugsy wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:04 am
Yousuf wrote:
Sigh...

read it again....

Nope, it wasn't, if it was then I'd have no questions here.
Does it limit the recall to machines that have only been exposed to ozone?

https://www.philipssrcupdate.expertinquiry.com/

Yousuf

Post by Yousuf » Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:50 am

Pugsy wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:25 am
Does it limit the recall to machines that have only been exposed to ozone?

https://www.philipssrcupdate.expertinquiry.com/
The link doesn't answer that.

packitin

Post by packitin » Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:10 am

I am flabbergasted to no end.

What do I do now? I pulled out my long ago discarded System One 750P bipap and used it for the last 3 nights, and my AHI has tripled, but its all I've got!

Do you have any advice on what to tell my sleep doc, who I see tomorrow morning?

I'm thinking of saying "To heck with it, I'll take care of myself - I don't need anyone's help - I've been doing this for 15 years, and I thought I was prolonging my life - now I think I may have shortened it!!

Hope I'm not overreacting, but I can't help it. (sorry for the rant)

Thanks for any advice. I feel like I'm going to find the cheapest Resmed I can, buy it myself, and not use anymore advice from sleep docs or DME suppliers, I'm finished with them.
Resmed Vauto S Bilevel
Airfit n30

old dude

Post by old dude » Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:51 am

Reading between the lines a bit in the Philips announcement they remind the user that the general service life of PAP devices is considered to be 5 years. Does anyone else think that it might be a waste of time to register and seek mitigation with devices older than this?

For various reasons I tend to hang on to older machines as long as they still work. I’m sure I’m not alone in this.

GrumpyHere

Post by GrumpyHere » Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:17 am

packitin wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:10 am
I feel like I'm going to find the cheapest Resmed I can
You need at least an AutoSet. Avoid AS10 CPAP - not OSCAR compatible.
ResMed Lumis Tx - VAuto mode

HairyReasoner

Post by HairyReasoner » Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:13 am

old dude wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:51 am
Reading between the lines a bit in the Philips announcement they remind the user that the general service life of PAP devices is considered to be 5 years. Does anyone else think that it might be a waste of time to register and seek mitigation with devices older than this?

For various reasons I tend to hang on to older machines as long as they still work. I’m sure I’m not alone in this.
I have yet to see a good argument as to why machines should be replaced every 5 years, even if it is still working well. Resmed's argument seems to simply be so you can take advantage of the latest features. But if you don't need those latest features, why do you need to replace the unit?

I suspect it has more to do with the fact the manufacturers need you to replace your machine every 5 years. The main health helped is their financial health.

You are wise to hang on to your old units for such a time as this. I'm glad I still kept my old M series, even though that's two units ago for me now. Both my Dreamstation and my System One are in the recall. Just hope the M series hangs in there a while.

old dude

Post by old dude » Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:47 am

HairyReasoner wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:13 am
old dude wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:51 am

I have yet to see a good argument as to why machines should be replaced every 5 years, even if it is still working well. Resmed's argument seems to simply be so you can take advantage of the latest features. But if you don't need those latest features, why do you need to replace the unit?

I suspect it has more to do with the fact the manufacturers need you to replace your machine every 5 years. The main health helped is their financial health.

You are wise to hang on to your old units for such a time as this. I'm glad I still kept my old M series, even though that's two units ago for me now. Both my Dreamstation and my System One are in the recall. Just hope the M series hangs in there a while.
Hairy, my point is that perhaps Philips is laying the groundwork to limit their exposure by saying they have no obligation to repair or replace machines past their stated service life anyway.