Skipping CPAP while camping

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.

Re: Skipping CPAP while camping

Post by Guest » Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:28 pm

Goofproof wrote:Camp near the road, EMT's don't like dragging bodies very far. Jim
Jim makes a good point here - IMO after we get adapted to using cpap and a stress free sleep not using the cpap can cause more stress to the body. Will it be the last time you stress your body? Is there any wonder most heart attacks occur in the early morning hours - 3-5 AM? While the body is resting.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:37 pm

Guest wrote:
Goofproof wrote:Camp near the road, EMT's don't like dragging bodies very far. Jim
Jim makes a good point here - IMO after we get adapted to using cpap and a stress free sleep not using the cpap can cause more stress to the body. Will it be the last time you stress your body? Is there any wonder most heart attacks occur in the early morning hours - 3-5 AM? While the body is resting.
And trying to get in REM sleep, the deepest where most problems occur. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:45 pm

Guest wrote:
NadiaK wrote:I have not taken my cpap when traveling. I know its not the right thing to do but I couldn't imagine trying to get all that in the suitcase on top of everything else.
I put mine in a separate carry-on suitcase. Anything to do with cpap or meds goes in it. That includes power strips, extension cords, AC adapters, etc. Anything medical does not count against your carry-on - lots of threads on that here too.

Once you have your spare mask, filters, etc. that all stays in the suitcase so it's not a big deal to pack. Be sure to also pack your duct tape, contact cement, etc.
pick up a spare cpap off craigslist. then just leave that in there too.

you should have spares of *everything*.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

CapnLoki

Post by CapnLoki » Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:57 pm

DaisySmith wrote:So Im wondering...Im looking to buy an RV and I imagine that rigging up my CPAP while sleeping in a tiny boxed in bed (with possibly no outlet) would be a real pain. I am wondering how many people skip the CPAP for a few days while traveling just because its a pain in the ___. I havent dared to try it yet because I hate being tired but then again I've been plugged in all night and still felt crazy tired the next day.
I live on a boat all summer and never miss a night. I use a 12v cord - your pump uses a 12v converter - that saves power. The usage is easily within the range of even the smallest RV or boat battery. Most of the power comes from solar panels, with occasional help from the engine alternator or a generator. Even a tiny RV can easily carry a small battery that you can recharge from the car alternator.

Since I'm on the water I don't bother with the humidifier, but if you plan to RV to Palm Springs you should plan on the humidifier and its high power usage.

When you select an RV consider whether it has a 12v outlet near the bed, and a place to put the pump.

There should be plenty of info for you in this thread:
viewtopic/t114012/Choosing-a-Battery.html
DaisySmith wrote: I just hate unplugging everything and hauling it with me when I travel.
So the question is...do you ever just skip it for a few days? If so how do you feel?
I never go without. Like many folks here I have a backup machine (a near duplicate of my home machine) that I use for travel or on the boat.

Additional Comments: Pressure 9-20, average ~9.5; often use battery power while off-grid
Hark, how hard he fetches breath . . .  Act II, Scene IV, King Henry IV Part I, William Shakespeare
Choosing a Battery thread: http://www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic/t1140 ... ttery.html

CPAPLowspark

Post by CPAPLowspark » Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:44 pm

My doctor told me (and I have a notice in my CPAP bag) that we medically get an extra carry on when we travel via airplane...

Haven't had to do it yet, but doesn't seem like a big deal.
Machine: AirSense™ 10 AutoSet CPAP Machine with HumidAir™ Heated Humidifier
Mask: ResMed AirFit N20 Nasal Mask

wm_hess

Post by wm_hess » Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:02 pm

DaisySmith wrote:So Im wondering...Im looking to buy an RV and I imagine that rigging up my CPAP while sleeping in a tiny boxed in bed (with possibly no outlet) would be a real pain. I am wondering how many people skip the CPAP for a few days while traveling just because its a pain in the ___. I havent dared to try it yet because I hate being tired but then again I've been plugged in all night and still felt crazy tired the next day. I just hate unplugging everything and hauling it with me when I travel.

So the question is...do you ever just skip it for a few days? If so how do you feel?

My apnea is mild (11x per hour) and my pressure is only a 4 so my apnea is not considered severe (life threatening) but I dont want to try going without it because I hate feeling tired all day.
I feel the same way about my glasses. Do you think it would affect my driving ability and enjoyment of my vacation if I left my glasses at home for a couple of days while on a RV trip? Do you want your family to face me coming down the road in my RV when I leave my glasses at home?

You CPAP device does the same thing as a pair of glasses, it treats a condition. When you don't treat the condition you revert to being adversely affected by that condition. My eyes will not work okay for a couple of days without my glasses. You may be able to 'survive' without treatment, but do you really want to? If you're in an RV and you don't have an outlet handy, get a battery. Charge the battery during the day while you're driving or out and about. While I understand the unplug and haul issues, you can always watch Craigslist, or check out secondwindcpap.com for a used device. It is very nice to have a 'travel' device for both vacationing, and medical issues. I just grab my backpack and battery and I have everything I need, device, battery, water etc. I can get 3 days with passover humidification. You could always invest in a 25 foot extension cord too. You could run the cord from wherever your outlet is to your machine. You're in an RV, you'll probably have electricity close by won't you?

So no, I guess I wouldn't suggest you do without. Life (both yours and the other people on the road) is to precious.

-Bill

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:09 pm

Actually, EMT's are.a lot like search dogs.
Rescue is thrilling---recovery is depressing.

sc0ttt

Post by sc0ttt » Mon May 01, 2017 10:07 am

DaisySmith wrote:

My apnea is mild (11x per hour) and my pressure is only a 4 so my apnea is not considered severe (life threatening) but I dont want to try going without it because I hate feeling tired all day.
I have fallen asleep without my machine and slept the whole night a few times - it wasn't awful. I've taken lots of naps without my machine - didn't stroke. Risk of a terrible consequence is probably exaggerated, but it's definitely not zero, and I'm not going to suggest that you camp without your machine.

But if you really wanted to try it, I'd suggest trying it before you actually go camping. Sleep in your RV at home without your machine for a night or two and see how you feel. Maybe record yourself as well so you can see how much you snore, or are in distress. And if it turns out you do feel terrible, at least you won't have to drive.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Mon May 01, 2017 10:39 am

sc0ttt wrote:
DaisySmith wrote:

I have fallen asleep without my machine and slept the whole night a few times - it wasn't awful. I've taken lots of naps without my machine - didn't stroke. Risk of a terrible consequence is probably exaggerated, but it's definitely not zero, and I'm not going to suggest that you camp without your machine.

But if you really wanted to try it, I'd suggest trying it before you actually go camping. Sleep in your RV at home without your machine for a night or two and see how you feel. Maybe record yourself as well so you can see how much you snore, or are in distress. And if it turns out you do feel terrible, at least you won't have to drive.
Since you are still posting, I'll guess that hammer on your revolver fell on a empty cylinder, the next person might not be so lucky, you even might not be that lucky next time. True it's not a high risk, Sleep Apnea usually kills by inches not miles, but I'm not going to take the chance. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

Slartybartfast

Post by Slartybartfast » Tue May 02, 2017 12:00 am

Two nights ago was the first time in 7 years that I haven't had my machine. I forgot it and was a couple hundred miles from home by the time my wife called to tell me. I can't say that I really got any sleep, and felt a little panicky when I could feel my throat closing up as I was trying to get to sleep. I learned my lesson. Never again.

Your mileage may vary. But for me, I know I simply cannot sleep without it.

kteague

Post by kteague » Tue May 02, 2017 1:39 am

A relatively low AHI can seem innocuous. But when you do the math, 11 events per hour in an 8 hour night is 88 events. Usually a percentage of events will cause arousal. Even if oxygen levels don't drop enough to be dangerous, that could make for some pretty crappy sleep. BTW, based on your sleep study, how low does your oxygen go and how long is the duration of your events? A low AHI could just mean your events were of a longer duration (and more dangerous). Make your decisions fully informed. Someone whose oxygen levels don't drop much probably wouldn't be at as high a risk, but nothing is an absolute.

Arlene1963

Post by Arlene1963 » Tue May 02, 2017 6:17 am

I agree with the poster who commented on how the effects of OSA feel worse when one has been using CPAP regularly, and then suddenly stop.

Bear in mind that with many months of regular CPAP use, immediately going back to 11 events per hour per night, from a treated level of say under 3, will be quite a shock to your system.

OSA doesn't develop overnight, it almost certainly took many months if not years to get to an AHI of 11, and over time your body adjusted to it, and compensated, and you got used to feeling tired and somewhat unwell, almost as the new "normal".

On the odd nights I've slept without CPAP I feel absolutely rotten the next day. Not fun. Note to self: not a good idea.

Now I have seen advice given here that prior to a sleep study folks should stop using CPAP for a week. This would seem to contradict what I have just posted, so it's possible that there are residual CPAP effects that last a few days in some individuals.

But I would suggest that you take your CPAP, use it, and have a good time, not worries.
Last edited by Arlene1963 on Tue May 02, 2017 12:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mogy

Post by Mogy » Tue May 02, 2017 11:27 am

Hi DaisySmith,
It probably depends on how you feel about it.
I just went on a 10day vacation to Mexico without my CPAP. Enjoyed myself. No ill affects. Maybe had a few more naps.
Untreated AHI of 22.
There are some studies suggesting that treating with CPAP on mild sleep apnea has no benefit. One link is include. If you search there are others.
Whatever you decide, have a great trip!

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2564770/
Using weight loss, general exercise, and tongue/throat exercises I managed to get my AHI down to approx 5.
Not using a machine currently.

rohdej

Post by rohdej » Tue May 02, 2017 6:01 pm

if you don't want to bring it for your self, how about the rest of the group you will be traveling with? Will they be kept awake by you not using your Xpap? Will you be relegated to the picnic table half a mile away? Will your sleep noises cause you to be abandoned at the nearest bus stop? You can chose to risk a bad few nights for your self but is it fair to inflict it on others? RVs are close courters for trailing groups one annoying personality in the group can make it a bad trip for everyone.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue May 02, 2017 9:32 pm

Apnea makes me feel like dog doody. I would rather have FUN.
Letting everyone else sleep is a kindness that none may notice unless everyone has a noisy, restless night.
Snoring is RUDE if you can prevent it. But don't.