Sleepyhead low compliance ?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
papzombie

Sleepyhead low compliance ?

Post by papzombie » Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:41 am

Hi all,

Almost 1 year on CPAP, today I read data from my last 30 day into SH.

What is new: yesterday's compliance is 0%, and last week was 71%. Can someone tell me what to do next ?

Link to album of 5 screenshots http://imgur.com/a/ND9oW

Statistics

last night: slept 4 hours

2 night ago: slept ~4 hours

3 night ago: slept ~4 hours

4 night ago: slept 8 hours

LSAT

Re: Sleepyhead low compliance ?

Post by LSAT » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:13 am

The nights that show under 4 hours use are not compliant. Why aren't you using it longer?

papzombie

Post by papzombie » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:17 am

LSAT wrote:The nights that show under 4 hours use are not compliant. Why aren't you using it longer?
Because I slept only that little during those nights. Am fed up with sleeping fully 8 hours and still very tired. So I decided to break loose: watch movies at night

49er

Post by 49er » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:05 am

papzombie wrote:
LSAT wrote:The nights that show under 4 hours use are not compliant. Why aren't you using it longer?
Because I slept only that little during those nights. Am fed up with sleeping fully 8 hours and still very tired. So I decided to break loose: watch movies at night
Hmm, in my opinion, you are making the situation worse by breaking up your sleep blocks. As a result, that is putting your health at greater risk without the lack of continuous sleep.

I am sure feeling tired after 8 hours is very frustrating and it sounds like you have tried various strategies to improve the situation to no avail. But what you are doing is adding to the problem.

papzombie

Post by papzombie » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:00 am

Hi 49er,

The thing is: sleeping only 3-4 hours at night make me feel less tired in the morning that 8 hours sleeping

49er

Post by 49er » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:32 am

papzombie wrote:Hi 49er,

The thing is: sleeping only 3-4 hours at night make me feel less tired in the morning that 8 hours sleeping
Interesting. Ok, my apologies for my previous post.

Hey, I vote for whatever works.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:41 am

I have a compromise--while watching a movie, keep the mask on, with the blower running.
Make friends with it, and don't even try to sleep.
Just learn to relax with the cpap running. Let the movie distract you.
If you are very sensitive, it may take a while.
Should you happen to doze off by accident, hey--bonus sleep!

papzombie

Post by papzombie » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:24 am

chunkyfrog wrote:I have a compromise--while watching a movie, keep the mask on, with the blower running.
Make friends with it, and don't even try to sleep.
Just learn to relax with the cpap running. Let the movie distract you.
If you are very sensitive, it may take a while.
Should you happen to doze off by accident, hey--bonus sleep!
Having a mask on does delay my falling asleep, a lot.
I stayed late watching movies because I want to, otherwise after 20-30 min watching something I often fall asleep, and I very often (90% of the case) can put the mask on.

sc0ttt

Post by sc0ttt » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:04 am

Can someone tell me what to do next ?
Is there a reason you HAVE to be compliant? If so, you need more time in therapy, simple as that.

If it's not for work or insurance, and you feel OK without the four hours most nights, and you understand the risk you're taking... why does it matter?

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:13 am

To Papzombie:

It would appear that you're doing well based on your AHI. Of course, there are other variables that CPAP cannot detect and there are other reasons for still feeling tired.

I would go back to the sleep doc to discuss why you still feel tired.

robysue

Post by robysue » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:40 am

papzombie wrote:
papzombie,

If you are using the machine every time you go to sleep and you use it for the full time that you are asleep AND you feel "ok", then the best thing to do is not get stressed out when SH says you're not compliant because you didn't get 4+ hours of sleep in the last 24 hours.

If you are still sleepy and you are only getting 3-4 hours of sleep at night and all of it is with the CPAP, then you need to increase that total sleep amount, but not necessarily to 8 full hours. You might find that getting 5-6 hours of sleep WITH the CPAP (and NO sleep without the CPAP) will be enough to make you feel better in the daytime. If 5-6 hours of sleep, all with the CPAP still leaves you feeling tired, then try bumping the amount of sleep up to 7 hours.

If you are still sleepy and you are sleeping part time WITHOUT the mask, then you need to work on making sure that you have the mask on whenever you are asleep.

papzombie

Post by papzombie » Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:18 pm

@Robysue: 99% of my sleep are with CPAP, the nights when I do forget (and hence have some hours without CPAP) do generate a very very crapy morning.

Thus I could say CPAP does help me. (But I expect much more from it after 1 year).

Over 2 weeks I'll have the first real polysomnography with CPAP, exactly 1 year after CPAP. I wonder why the hospital did not grant me that earlier.

(With CPAP I've got 1 night with WatchPAT-200, but I think a real polysomnography is much more informative)