Partially off topic: electricty and power surges

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
zoocrewphoto

Re: Partially off topic: electricty and power surges

Post by zoocrewphoto » Tue May 19, 2015 3:24 pm

westom wrote:
zoocrewphoto wrote: Temp may be an issue. I will get one of those cooler things and see if that helps. I do tend to run it all the time and just leave it on. Same thing when I travel, though it does have a few breaks as I move from hotel room to show hall, and back.
Temperature differences between battery and AC power are minor. Much larger temperature differences exist when running on battery in a 70 degree room and running on battery in a 90+ degree room. Ideal temperatures for any computer include both 70 and 100 degrees. Temperature is not a reason for failure. Temperature is a diagnostic to find defective semiconductors. Any computer that works fine in 70 degrees and fails in 100 degrees is defective. And will probably get worse over the months to also fail in 70 degrees.

Put it in the warmest room possible. Does it still fail when it should switch flawlessly from AC to battery? And does it always work in a 100 degree F room? Both are diagnostics to identify (characterize) a defect.

Laptop must switch from AC to battery to AC repeatedly without any indication (other than its power Icon).

We really don't have much in the way of hot temps here in Seattle. I can tell you that the crashes happen randomly, sometimes while I am using it, and sometimes while I am asleep and it is idle. It has never happened when I unplug it and let it go to battery. So, the transfer to battery is fine.

Who would have thought it would be this challenging to sleep and breathe at the same time?

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue May 19, 2015 3:51 pm

zoocrewphoto wrote:We really don't have much in the way of hot temps here in Seattle.
you can likely add a program that will monitor and display temps in the notebook.

having it closed up, in a keyboard drawer may well cause it to overheat.

the first thing I'd suggest doing is vacuuming out the vents, and then use it for a while outside of the keyboard drawer. ... set it off to the side on your desk and re-arrange the cables.

if it quits dying, you've found the problem

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Uncle_Bob

Post by Uncle_Bob » Tue May 19, 2015 4:21 pm

I'd recommend some diagnostics rather than making guesses resulting in any unnecessary purchases that might not solve your problem.

Assuming a windows laptop that you purchased fairly recently? Have you looked at the event log?

Windows start, type event log in the search box, click on view event log. Look for any critical/hardware entries. You may see event codes or even and indication of a device to identify root cause of the problem. Then search the internet or post here. Thanks

~UB

zoocrewphoto

Post by zoocrewphoto » Tue May 19, 2015 5:24 pm

Uncle_Bob wrote:I'd recommend some diagnostics rather than making guesses resulting in any unnecessary purchases that might not solve your problem.

Assuming a windows laptop that you purchased fairly recently? Have you looked at the event log?

Windows start, type event log in the search box, click on view event log. Look for any critical/hardware entries. You may see event codes or even and indication of a device to identify root cause of the problem. Then search the internet or post here. Thanks

~UB
I just looked, and it was interesting, but a mystery. I looked at Saturday since there were several events. Each time I rebooted the laptop, it showed a critical event and the description said it was rebooted without cleanly shutting down. There is also an error message that states that the previous shutdown was unexpected. But there are no errors other than those two for each event, and nothing at the exact time of the unexpected shutdown.

I can see that it lists the shutdown time as when it crashed and not when I shut it down manually by holding the power button down. For example, it has only crashed once today, and it was while I was asleep. The error message refers to the shutdown that was over 3 hours before the hard reboot.

Who would have thought it would be this challenging to sleep and breathe at the same time?

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue May 19, 2015 5:48 pm

zoocrewphoto wrote:I can see that it lists the shutdown time as when it crashed and not when I shut it down manually by holding the power button down. For example, it has only crashed once today, and it was while I was asleep. The error message refers to the shutdown that was over 3 hours before the hard reboot.
well, when you hold down the power button, that's just a hard shutdown.... as if you'd pulled the plug on a desktop unit, it doesn't let the OS shut down and close it's files neatly.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

zoocrewphoto

Post by zoocrewphoto » Tue May 19, 2015 6:25 pm

palerider wrote:
zoocrewphoto wrote:I can see that it lists the shutdown time as when it crashed and not when I shut it down manually by holding the power button down. For example, it has only crashed once today, and it was while I was asleep. The error message refers to the shutdown that was over 3 hours before the hard reboot.
well, when you hold down the power button, that's just a hard shutdown.... as if you'd pulled the plug on a desktop unit, it doesn't let the OS shut down and close it's files neatly.
I know. Unfortunately, it is the only thing I can do when it crashes. It won't respond to anything. I was just pointing out that it is listing the shutdown as when it crashed, not the time of the reboot. But there is no error message to explain the crash. It is not giving an obvious reason as to why it crashed.

I do think the temp issue and/or humidity are probably the leading possibilities. I am working on the storage room to get the humidifier out. And I will open up the laptop and use the compressed air. I think I will also rearrange my desk so that I can place the laptop where the printer normally sits and leave it slightly open, and still use my full keyboard and monitor like normal. If it is a temp issue, that may help a lot. I just jot a cart to hold all my printers, and I am clearing a space so that I can bring it in.

I am really grateful to all the responses as it has helped to looked at possibilities and see some that I had not considered. I had not even thought of the fact that I rarely run it open at home, yet I have to when I travel. I've been treating it like a desktop at home ever since my old desktop died many years ago. I just never had a problem with the last one. But it may have a better cooling system than this one.

If it is truly weather related, the problem may clear up for awhile as we have a week of 70s. With a cleaning, new location, humidifier, and change of weather; it will be awhile to know if and what might have been the real problem, But as long as it is mostly happy and lasts long enough for me to get a newer one later; I'll be happy.

Oh, and an topic comment - I had an awesome night of sleep last night. 6.7 hours straight. Of course, I went to be really late and that seems to help.

JohnO

Post by JohnO » Tue May 19, 2015 6:45 pm

zoocrewphoto wrote:
I do think the temp issue and/or humidity are probably the leading possibilities.
Take a look at this article, and download some of the (usually free) utilities. See what your temperature does over time. See if your processor gets busy and stays busy (which can lead to a hot machine).

http://lifehacker.com/5846468/the-best- ... or-windows

Good Luck!

John

SleepDisturbed

Post by SleepDisturbed » Tue May 19, 2015 7:49 pm

Just an off-the-wall thing. I had a laptop that had bizarre issues, some like yours. Finally found the culprit, the battery had "swelled". Caused intermittent issues due to physical pressure against the motherboard and keyboard. So if you haven't already, take out the battery and see if there is any swelling or warping.

What I lack in verbosity, I make up in brevity.

archangle

Post by archangle » Tue May 19, 2015 10:41 pm

westom wrote:Temperature differences between battery and AC power are minor.
Many modern laptops may slow down the processor speed, lower the processor voltage, change the fan settings, and do a few other things to save power when running on battery. Some of these things may cause the processor to run hotter on AC power vs. battery.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

westom

Post by westom » Wed May 20, 2015 11:09 am

archangle wrote: Some of these things may cause the processor to run hotter on AC power vs. battery.
If the computer was hot, then both fans are fully on - making most noise. And never slow down.

If this is a laptop from one of the better computer manufacturers, then provided with the machine or from their web site are actual hardware diagnostics. These test each device separately. Sometimes testing functions that even Windows does not use. For example, it will change the speed of each fan and report the RPMs for each fan. It will verify the integrity of each DMA channel. It will test memory locations even in the video controller. It will test things you do not even know exist.

Again, if heat is causing crashes, then you have a defective hardware (ie semiconductor). Use heat (even a hairdryer in highest heat setting) to identify or isolate the problem. To make the failure repeatable or to isolate the heat sensitive part to one location. Heat is also a powerful diagnostic - not a excuse for failure. All laptops (even with heatsinks as much as half clogged in dust) must work just fine in a 100 degree F room.

JohnO

Post by JohnO » Wed May 20, 2015 11:16 am

westom wrote:
If this is a laptop from one of the better computer manufacturers, then provided with the machine or from their web site are actual hardware diagnostics.
FYI - the laptop was identified as: "Acer Aspire 7540"

westom

Post by westom » Wed May 20, 2015 11:26 am

JohnO wrote:FYI - the laptop was identified as: "Acer Aspire 7540"
Last time I looked, Acer does not provide those comprehensive hardware diagnostics. Would not hurt to look.