AirFit P10 - first attempt not so good :-(

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
star444

AirFit P10 - first attempt not so good :-(

Post by star444 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:30 pm

I just spent about an hour in bed trying to sleep using the AirFit P10 with very uncomfortable results.

I felt like I wasn't getting enough air; and I felt a pressure-type pain in the middle of my chest. (In fact, I still feel the pressure/pain somewhat even though I've been up for about 30 minutes.) I finally had to get out of bed due to the discomfort and anxiety.

To be fair, this is the first time I have ever tried using nasal pillows so maybe they are simply not a good choice for me. I think I will try to "test drive" them tomorrow evening (or perhaps a few evenings) before I try to sleep using them again.

Sleep Study AHI = 70.5

Pugsy

Re: AirFit P10 - first attempt not so good :-(

Post by Pugsy » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:54 pm

Were you using the ramp feature where the starting pressure is reduce.
The lower pressure of 4 (typical ramp starting point) we simply don't fee like enough air is moving...stifling and suffocating.

So try not using the ramp if you can and you might also look at maybe next size in the pillows. The cone openings are larger as the sizes increases and the large openings allow for more volume of air movment.

Also...if the pillows get squished together then they can't inflate very much and that also means not much air moving.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

star444

Post by star444 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:24 pm

I don't use the ramp feature at all. I much prefer starting out at my full pressure (regardless of the mask type).

About 15 minutes in I moved up one size on the pillows and it did feel better. After that, the anxiety kicked pretty strong, so I declared "Round 1 of the AirFit P10 test" closed for today. I haven't given up, I just think I need to spend some awake time getting used to it.

I think I'm finally ready to head back to bed to try to get some sleep using my SleepWeaver Advanced.

Sleep Study AHI = 70.5

Sir NoddinOff

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:45 pm

That's one nice thing about nasal pillows which I really miss: You can adapt to them (or just use them) while reading in bed, watching TV, knitting or whatever. They have minimal impact on your vision... unlike, say, the Mirage Quattro mask with the forehead brace. Even my current Quattro FX FFM with no forehead brace is hard to read with due to the nose piece sticking just a bit too far up for me.

I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.

HerbM

Post by HerbM » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:20 am

Agreed SirNodinOff. The moment the tech put the oral nasal on me at the sleep study I realized that reading or watching TV was pretty much going to be a nuisance. (And I love reading in bed when I have the time.)

Wearing the P10 last night my nose when solid blocked at 4am -- I think it woke me straight up from both memory and looking at the data.

Since at the moment this is my only mask, there was nothing to do but either take the mask off or get up and try to clear my nose.

The P10 was great (for me) until my nose had concreted poured into it. Manage to fix it enough and the P10 worked but had I not awakened quickly it is likely that I would be in the same fix as star444 with headaches and maybe worse.

Star444, I hope you other mask allowed you to sleep comfortably.

--
Sweet Dreams,
HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-14 w/AHI: 0.2 avg for 7-days

"We can all breath together or we will all suffocate alone."

star444

Post by star444 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:07 pm

HerbM wrote:Agreed SirNodinOff. The moment the tech put the oral nasal on me at the sleep study I realized that reading or watching TV was pretty much going to be a nuisance. (And I love reading in bed when I have the time.)

Wearing the P10 last night my nose when solid blocked at 4am -- I think it woke me straight up from both memory and looking at the data.

Since at the moment this is my only mask, there was nothing to do but either take the mask off or get up and try to clear my nose.

The P10 was great (for me) until my nose had concreted poured into it. Manage to fix it enough and the P10 worked but had I not awakened quickly it is likely that I would be in the same fix as star444 with headaches and maybe worse.

Star444, I hope you other mask allowed you to sleep comfortably.
Thanks, Herb... In fact, after I went back to bed using the SleepWeaver Advanced I had my best night of sleep yet! My AHI was 0.61, with 1 hypopnea, 1 OA, and 3 CA!! And, most of the night I had no leaks, and the few leaks I had were very minor.

I think maybe my body was behaving so I wouldn't put the P10 back on!

We had company tonight so I didn't have an opportunity to "test drive" the P10. I may just wait until the weekend to try it again. I'll use the SleepWeaver again tonight and hope to have a great night of sleep. If I continue to sleep that good with the SleepWeaver, I'll send the P10 back!

Sleep Study AHI = 70.5

HerbM

Post by HerbM » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:53 pm

Star444,

I love your choice of Avatar. Teddy getting treatment.

Glad to hear your night worked out well. Clouds and Silver linings

It's great that your SleepWeaver worked -- I am thinking of adding a SleepWeaver Anew...
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/sleepw ... -mask.html
...as my third mask.

My 2nd mask, the F&P Oracle HC452 Oral mask just arrived today -- didn't have it last night for my little episode. I will try it tonight and determine if a third mask is warranted right away. (The Anew is a little pricey.)

--
Sweet Dreams,
HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-14 w/AHI: 0.2 avg for 7-days

"We can all breath together or we will all suffocate alone."

star444

Post by star444 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:15 pm

HerbM wrote:Star444,

I love your choice of Avatar. Teddy getting treatment.

Glad to hear your night worked out well. Clouds and Silver linings

It's great that your SleepWeaver worked -- I am thinking of adding a SleepWeaver Anew...
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/sleepw ... -mask.html
...as my third mask.

My 2nd mask, the F&P Oracle HC452 Oral mask just arrived today -- didn't have it last night for my little episode. I will try it tonight and determine if a third mask is warranted right away. (The Anew is a little pricey.)
I loved my SleepWeaver Anew until I got a machine with data capabilities and found out I was having more of a leak problem than I realized. That is a common complaint with the SleepWeaver masks but oftentimes it is caused by over-tightening the mask. You have to leave plenty of slack for the mask to be able to inflate.

The only reason I had leak problems with the SleepWeaver Anew is because I have a "weak chin" and when I lay down my jaw drops back a bit. That caused the mask to leak around the chin area. I tried adding a chin strap but it didn't resolve the problem.

Lucky for me, one of the wonderful forum members here, created a thread offering some of her unwanted masks for free. I asked for the SleepWeaver Advanced and she sent it to me. I was worried that I might have a problem with opening my mouth but found I did not.

It took a little work on getting it adjusted correctly to avoid leaks (loose enough to allow for inflation, but tight enough not to allow leaks). Last night was an excellent night with the SleepWeaver Advanced. And it is incredibly comfortable!

The Anew is pricey but, the manufacturer offers a 30-day money back guarantee. So at least you can get your money back if you find it doesn't work for you.

Good luck with your new mask. Finding the right mask seems to be one of the biggest challenges!

Sleep Study AHI = 70.5

star444

Post by star444 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:22 pm

By the way... my avatar is of a scuba diving teddy bear. He has air tanks on his back and fins on his feet. I just made sure the fins were not in the picture and used the small CPAP tube from the Wisp nasal mask to make it look like he is using a CPAP. I'm kind of fond of him too.

Sleep Study AHI = 70.5

Sir NoddinOff

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:15 am

HerbM wrote:Wearing the P10 last night my nose when solid blocked at 4am -- I think it woke me straight up from both memory and looking at the data. Since at the moment this is my only mask, there was nothing to do but either take the mask off or get up and try to clear my nose. The P10 was great (for me) until my nose had concreted poured into it.
Herb, if you go back to a nasal mask like the Wisp or a full face mask, I've had good luck using these nasal dialators... they take some getting used to but it's worth it to be able to breathe thru one's nose again. If you try them and they slide out too much or get uncomfortable, PM me for a list of tips on usage. Note: the red line is where I cut them down with an Exacto knife a bit because they were a little too long:

http://www.amazon.com/Snorepin-Smarter- ... l+dilators

I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.