PLease take this poll, Do you CPAP during the day?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
sleepwise

PLease take this poll, Do you CPAP during the day?

Post by sleepwise » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:46 pm

It would be helpful to know what percentage of users CPAP during the day, please feel free to expand on why.
Thanks

Julie

Re: PLease take this poll, Do you CPAP during the day?

Post by Julie » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:02 pm

Cpap is for sleep, nothing else. If you mean do we use it for naps, yes we do (or should), because every sleep time without it makes us more sleepy due to apneas... counterproductive not to use it. But no one uses it (or really could do so) while awake otherwise... no need. Apneas happen when you're asleep because throat tissues, tongue, and other anatomy relax and close up your airway, making it necessary (your body thinks) to suddenly gasp 'large' enough to open it with a big breath... which is what the gasping's about following moments of not breathing at all... but it doesn't happen when you're awake - the most you'll experience (if you're tired or lacking 'air' input) is a yawn.

sleepwise

Post by sleepwise » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:32 pm

I'm sorry I should have been more specific, funny I mentioned it to my wife and she looked at me and funny and said you mean people use them during the day while they do there normal activities and I said no just for nap or as I would think in most cases to get used to. Thanks for participating in the pole. Oh forgot to mention, yes lots of yawn during the day, can so relate! I just noticed the kitty in your avatar, yours? We have two brother and sister tabby and calico , Marble and Cali, I think I will use their photo for my avatar.

Last edited by sleepwise on Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phillips Respironics REM STAR, with humidifier, Resmed Quatro Air Full Face Mask.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:34 pm

Yes I do, I sleep until 1 p.m. almost every day, I guess I qualify, but I only use my xpap when I sleep, that's when it's needed. Jim

Thats what it's for, it doesn't hurt to use it in the day to get use to it or for naps.
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

JointPain

Post by JointPain » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:51 pm

I use my machine every time I intend to sleep or nap (or there's a high chance I might happen to). Not using the machine is a signal to my brain to NOT fall asleep.

Stormynights

Post by Stormynights » Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:54 pm

Using it during the day is a good way to get used to the alien on your face. It helps you learn to breathe with it on without the stress of trying to go to sleep.

sleepstar

Post by sleepstar » Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:18 am

sleepwise wrote:I'm sorry I should have been more specific, funny I mentioned it to my wife and she looked at me and funny and said you mean people use them during the day while they do there normal activities and I said no just for nap or as I would think in most cases to get used to. Thanks for participating in the pole. Oh forgot to mention, yes lots of yawn during the day, can so relate! I just noticed the kitty in your avatar, yours? We have two brother and sister tabby and calico , Marble and Cali, I think I will use their photo for my avatar.
Yeah, use it for naps during the day, and also to "get used to it"
I can't imagine any real benefit using it outside of that if it is a CPAP machine.
If it was a BiPAP machine, that might be different.

Kiralynx

Post by Kiralynx » Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:59 am

If I lie down on the bed, my mask goes on, and so does my machine, even if I only INTEND to read for a bit.

But if I am tired enough to lie down, I'm tired enough that I will likely fall alseep shortly -- and I won't risk sleeping without it. I can't handle the pain that results.

Beastie, 2008-10-28. NEW Beastie, PRS1 960, 2014-05-14. NEWER Beastie, Dream Station ASV, 2017-10-17. PadaCheek Hosecover. Homemade Brandy Keg Chin Support. TapPap Mask.
Min PS = 4, Max PS = 8
Epap Range = 6 - 7.5

RogerSC

Post by RogerSC » Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:43 am

Not a napper, but if I were I would use CPAP. That's what it's for, sleeping, so why take the risk?

nanwilson

Post by nanwilson » Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:45 pm

RogerSC wrote:Not a napper, but if I were I would use CPAP. That's what it's for, sleeping, so why take the risk?

+1... do not nap either, but if I did the mask would be on my face and the machine on.
Started cpap in 2010.. still at it with great results.

dotyj

Post by dotyj » Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:51 pm

Bonjour

No, during day being awake; exception, day sleeping.

Merci et paix

joyeux Noel

jos

Sir NoddinOff

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:03 pm

Never. I can't nap during the day until maybe an hour after dinner, then it's just a short doze with CPAP as a prelude to my regular night's sleep, but only when the night before was crappy.

I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.

palmer1121

Post by palmer1121 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:22 pm

yes, if i have a nap, i will use my cpap

mhsmith

Post by mhsmith » Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:41 pm

Yes, especially after a hard night with little sleep.

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:47 pm

I don't nap but when I had pneumonia I used it during the day when I was sitting down at the keyboard because the warm humid air made breathing a lot easier.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal