Who pays for Resmed cellular connection

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
On the virge

Re: Who pays for Resmed cellular connection

Post by On the virge » Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:20 pm

The DME changed my wife's pressures back to the prescription ones and changed A-Flex from 2 to 1. There was no prior communication nor any follow-up. She noticed it when we looked at Sleepyhead pressure graph. I called the RT who said they noticed the settings did not match the prescription they had. They assumed an error on their part and sought to correct the error. I advised him never do that again for us. He was very nice and assured me that he would not and he has not.

lindalrc

Post by lindalrc » Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:44 pm

Hackers want your birthdate, your SS number, your name and address. That is all part of the records at the DME and the Insurance company. last year in Maine, Blue Cross Blue Shield was hacked for that info. Since BCBS is a major insurer here, many many people got those dreaded letters. I agree that the real risk comes from the hackers somehow using the cell connection to get at that info.

And, yes the DME can change your settings remotely. Mine offered to. Same way (I think) as when a remote computer tech can go on your computer to help you debug a problem. Of course if you do that, you have allowed the access. To my mind the DME should NEVER touch your machine, even remotely, without permission. And I agree, the info somehow should be maintained. It is useful!!!
Lindalrc

archangle

Post by archangle » Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:00 am

lindalrc wrote:I agree that the real risk comes from the hackers somehow using the cell connection to get at that info.
It's really unlikely they'll get that data through the cell connection. That's sort of like breaking into your house by digging a tunnel from the house across the street instead of just breaking a window. It's so much easier to just hack into the DME, doctor, or insurance company computers directly. Even if they did somehow hack in through the cell phone connection, they'd then go for everyone's credit card and SSN, so you'd get your information stolen even if you don't have a modem on your CPAP.

The only information that goes by modem is "machine type 123, serial number 45678910 has this breathing pattern, etc. " There's nothing with your name, credit card info, or SSN.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

dkf435

Post by dkf435 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:16 am

Ok, here is a new one, in a Tele Health trial and they have a new blood glucose meter with a T Mobile GSM SIM card and modem. If your readings are too far out then the nurse sends you messages for changes.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:07 pm

Hmmm, now it seems Resmed has leveraged its MyAir data to enhance their stock value.
Didn't we know!

SewTired

Post by SewTired » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:15 pm

The one advantage of Phillips over Resmed is that you can simply REMOVE the cellular module. That eliminates any 'stray bytes' that could change your settings without your knowledge, which is my only concern. In addition, if you resisted registering your machine with Resmed, all they have is a serial number - they don't know who you are. The DME is given access not by name but by serial number registered with THEM.

I'm waiting for cpap to be introduced in one of my suspense/thriller books. For instance, you could prove you weren't at a crime because cpap can't record unless you are attached to it. Gives you an alibi.

Airsense For Her; Settings: range 8-12, Airfit P10 (M)

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:28 pm

Cpap cannot record unless "someone" is wearing it.
Maybe an accomplice, or something similar . . .

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:55 am

chunkyfrog wrote:Cpap cannot record unless "someone" is wearing it.
Maybe an accomplice, or something similar . . .
Don't give SewTired any ideas. She sounds dangerous.

LoBattery

Post by LoBattery » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:05 am

Somewhat related. I'm thinking of buying a second machine and wondering what others have done when that serial number machine is already registered to another person. Does Resmed balk at this. Just for grins I went through the process to register a second machine. At least you can't use the same email with a different password. Do they have any contact with the insurance company? Like someone else is using this machine that they just paid for or are still paying for. Do you change your name spelling and birthday on a second machine or do you skip Myair altogether and just use the SD card and an app. My doctor only cares about my last month of data on the SD before a visit.
Seeing and believing are often both wrong. FOW

OkyDoky

Post by OkyDoky » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:37 am

LoBattery wrote:Somewhat related. I'm thinking of buying a second machine and wondering what others have done when that serial number machine is already registered to another person. Does Resmed balk at this. Just for grins I went through the process to register a second machine. At least you can't use the same email with a different password. Do they have any contact with the insurance company? Like someone else is using this machine that they just paid for or are still paying for. Do you change your name spelling and birthday on a second machine or do you skip Myair altogether and just use the SD card and an app. My doctor only cares about my last month of data on the SD before a visit.
If you buy a used machine make sure the previous data has been erased. I never worried about registering machines that I bought from individuals. Skip MyAir. You can print out your own reports using ReScan (which the doctor uses for ResMed Machines} or SleepyHead for anything you are concerned about and show them to your doctor. Or take a copy of your SD card for him to see.
ResMed Aircurve 10 VAUTO EPAP 11 IPAP 15 / P10 pillows mask / Sleepyhead Software / Back up & travel machine Respironics 760

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:59 am

Transmission is by cellular network (at least for U.S. providers). The cost should be relatively low, as they surely time it for off-peak hours. You do not make any direct payment for this (though it's probably built into the overall price that you pay).

There was somebody who posted that (s)he was billed for communications charges, but I can't find that posting. Clearly, that was improper.

Also, as already pointed out, hackers want you name, birth date, social security number, email, and street address. As far as I know, none if this is transmitted by CPAP.

SleepyBobR

Post by SleepyBobR » Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:29 pm

Resmed pays for it.

of_the_west

Post by of_the_west » Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:56 pm

As someone who works as a product design consultant for medical device companies, I want to correct a few misconceptions in this thread:

1) The data connection on ResMed machines is cellular - a CDMA network connection to be specific. In the USA that indicates that either Sprint or Verizon are the network providers. Typically a company like ResMed (or Amazon in the case of the first generation Kindles) will negotiate rates with the mobile network provider to build the mobile connection service into the product. In Amazon's case with the Kindle, some of that cost is passed on to consumers through the purchase price of the product and Amazon subsidizes the rest. As for which entity pays for the mobile data connection in the ResMed machines, it likely varies from contract to contract. In some cases (like mine- I use a ResMed AirSense 10), either the insurance company won't cover the cost of the data connection and/or the provider will try to be compensated for the data connection by passing it on to the patient. It's likely that in other cases the DME is building the cost of the data connection into the cost of the machines. In other cases – depending on volume – it's possible that ResMed subsidizes the cost of the data connection as part of the purchase price. I don't have any insight into how ResMed or another device manufacturer accounts for these data transmission costs in practice.

2) It's very likely that the data transfer features were in part implemented to help device makers get 'preferred formulary' status with insurance companies and with providers. If the device manufacturers can help insurance companies and providers to monitor usage compliance, improve patient outcomes, and drive down costs, it may help ResMed to get that preferred formulary status. That's not to say that these features don't benefit patients as well, but there are often other factors that influence decisions about product and service features.

3) To my knowledge - with ResMed at least - any collected device data goes through their servers via the mobile connection, and then on to your provider via the provider applications that ResMed offers to clinicians. Your clinician may or may not be paying for those applications. It's plausible and likely that the device serial number (or other unique identifier) is how ResMed matches the collected data from your machine to your account with your clinician, i.e. the clinician, DME, or insurance company provides ResMed with the serial numbers of the devices within their practice and those serial numbers are in turn matched to your account. In this way ResMed absolutely collects all of your sleep data and machine settings if you utilize their mobile data network. It's unclear whether they can match that to you as a person, though it's likely they can through the provider application ecosystem. What they (or your DME or insurance company) do with that data is anyone's guess, but HIPAA privacy and security rules in the U.S. ultimately govern what they can and can't do with it and what parts of that data can be directly attributed to you.

4) From personal experience with a ResMed machine, your provider absolutely can monitor your sleep data remotely and manage your machine settings remotely. Putting the ResMed machines into airplane mode will deny the machine from making a cellular data connection and thus prevent your data from being transmitted to either ResMed or your provider or insurance company. And yes – as stated by someone else – the ResMed software will nag you regularly to turn off airplane mode.

5) For anyone who is concerned about their data going through ResMed's servers – or any other device manufacturer – and you don't want to deal with airplane mode, you can typically find instructions online how to unplug the cellular data modem from the circuit board of your device. This will render the modem non-functional. I'm not advocating that you do or don't do this – but it is possible. You'd have to decide if this is the right decision for you, if you're confident that you can do it, and that it won't compromise your relationship with your insurance company or your clinician. It's also highly likely this would void the warranty on your machine.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:05 pm

SleepyBobR wrote:Resmed pays for it.
. . . Which, of course, means we do, if we use a resmed machine.
---as the price includes all anticipated expenses.

klv329

Post by klv329 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:31 pm

LoBattery wrote:Somewhat related. I'm thinking of buying a second machine and wondering what others have done when that serial number machine is already registered to another person. Does Resmed balk at this. Just for grins I went through the process to register a second machine. At least you can't use the same email with a different password. Do they have any contact with the insurance company? Like someone else is using this machine that they just paid for or are still paying for. Do you change your name spelling and birthday on a second machine or do you skip Myair altogether and just use the SD card and an app. My doctor only cares about my last month of data on the SD before a visit.
Just for fun I tried to register a used machine on MyAir but it won't allow a registered SN to be used by another user. I assume the prior owner could disassociate the SN from their MyAir account, but I don't know. So my current usage is going to the prior owner's account, but I assume they don't care and probably turned off email alerts or whatever. Anyway, MyAir is useless.

edit: i can't delete my other machine's SN from MyAir. Not sure if I can delete the account, either. Just turned off all notices. maybe it is there forever.