CPAP with humidier in RV

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
seattlepap

CPAP with humidier in RV

Post by seattlepap » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:41 am

Does anyone have any advice on using a CPAP in an RV? I've heard stories of massive power draw. I have to use a humidifier.Thanks

khauser

Re: CPAP with humidier in RV

Post by khauser » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:08 pm

Massive is relative. But the humidifier does draw most of the power ... with my prior machine there was about a 1.5 amp/hr draw for pressure, and about 4.5 amp/hr with the humidifier. (I have not measure my current machine.) That means over an 8 hour period, if I had used it for 8 hours on battery with humidifier I should plan on a battery with 37 amp/hr capacity. Multiple nights without recharging obviously make that requirement higher.

Those are actually rather vague readings because as you use your machine the power draw varies with inhalation vs exhalation, and the humidifier power requirement depends on ambient temperature and humidity. Also, I have a heated tube, which adds yet more power needs.

Unfortunately, that is my experience as measure here in the Northeast of the USA and may or may not match your needs.

If your off-grid solution involves an inverter there will be a rather large loss off efficiency, to the point you'd want probably a good 50% more. So it's always preferable to use the DC cord.

Chris8243

Post by Chris8243 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:57 pm

I’ve camped for 7 days straight in an RV, in a remote area, no campground or services. My husband put in a “cigarette lighter” type outlet and I bought a converter for the CPAP machine. Worked like a charm. Used humidity every night, never ran out of power for anything in the camper.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:30 pm

Will your RV be running off battery, or is there a power hook-up on the campsite?

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:12 pm

seattlepap wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:41 am
Does anyone have any advice on using a CPAP in an RV? I've heard stories of massive power draw. I have to use a humidifier.Thanks
"massive" in that the humidifier and heated hose can use 80-90% of the power a cpap pulls, yes.

Look at your power supply for the cpap, what does it say it's maximum power usage is?

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

nanwilson

Post by nanwilson » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:42 pm

You will be fine!!! I used a cpap, with humidifier on, in my motorhome for 10 years. I always carried the battery charger too, since I stayed in spots without power for days at a time. If I didn't have anywhere to charge the battery, I would either hook up to the coach battery or go for a drive to town... always needed other supplies anyway. :lol: :lol:
Go for it...it is not a problem!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers and happy camping
Nan
Started cpap in 2010.. still at it with great results.