Sewing hose covers, first attempt.

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
babydinosnoreless

Sewing hose covers, first attempt.

Post by babydinosnoreless » Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:09 pm

I crocheted hose covers a while back, but recently have gotten into sewing again making masks. I would like to make a more lightweight yet fun hose cover for my air curve and maybe some
strap covers for my N-20. Does anyone have a pattern or did you just go for it? Can those that have made their own covers
post pictures so that I can get some ideas ? Please. Have a couple of weeks before my job starts and I need a project.

Thanks !
Last edited by babydinosnoreless on Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pugsy

Re: Sewing hose covers, strap covers

Post by Pugsy » Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:22 am

I have never seen any patterns other than maybe a mask liner pattern....but then I haven't look.
If you can't find any....You might see if you can sweet talk Karen over at padacheek.com out of a pattern....after all she makes hose covers and strap liners. I know she has them but I don't know how willing she might be to share them....but she is a really nice person.

When I made my own hose cover and strap covers...they weren't polished at all. Looked like a 6 year old had made them.
I don't own a sewing machine so I secured things with scotch tape and bread ties. Not polished at all. :lol: :lol: but they did the job until bought what I needed from Karen. Back when I first started therapy there really weren't any heated hoses except the Aussie heated hose which is a stand alone heated hose. We didn't have the nice integrated heated hoses that we have today. The Aussie heated hose cost $150 US plus shipping from Australia....so a lot of us did our own hose cozies. Mine was a couple of layers of fleece just wrapped around the hose and closed and secured with scotch tape and some bread ties. :lol: Same with strap covers for my first ever cpap mask the Swift LT which left horrid dents on my cheeks from the hard plastic. This was of course back in the dark cpap ages...11 years ago.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

babydinosnoreless

Post by babydinosnoreless » Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:18 am

Pugsy wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:22 am

When I made my own hose cover and strap covers...they weren't polished at all. Looked like a 6 year old had made them.
I don't own a sewing machine so I secured things with scotch tape and bread ties. Not polished at all. :lol: :lol: but they did the job until bought what I needed from Karen. Back when I first started therapy there really weren't any heated hoses except the Aussie heated hose which is a stand alone heated hose. We didn't have the nice integrated heated hoses that we have today. The Aussie heated hose cost $150 US plus shipping from Australia....so a lot of us did our own hose cozies. Mine was a couple of layers of fleece just wrapped around the hose and closed and secured with scotch tape and some bread ties. :lol:
Luckily I don't actually need one in Arizona. :) In fact I quit using my heated hose and went with the slim line which was lighter. (We've been under excessive heat warnings for over a week now. Ugh!

I just wanted something soft and cute. The new machine I bought to make masks died after only a couple of weeks. It was plastic not well made. Thankfully I bought the insurance so I was able to return it. Found an old 70's metal Kenmore for $15 and hubby got it working. Already made a bunch of Masks and now looking for another project. Lol. I'm not a great sewer but its something fun and distracting. Btw the pink cozy I crocheted way back for my heated hose is held on with twist ties. :lol: :lol:
3F2AA66F-675B-4356-903F-680EA726D5E7.jpeg
Here in the Kenmore we found. The old metal basic machines are really so much easier and smoother than the new plastic ones!
938D94C1-2788-4B33-A2DE-58012711B45E.jpeg

nanwilson

Post by nanwilson » Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:52 am

I make my own hose covers and have for many years. Just sew a tube, put a plastic baggie over the end of the hose when you are ready to put it on and just slide the cover over the hose. I use fleece in the winter and cotton quilting in the summer. As a matter of fact, I am quilting a new quilt right now and I plan on saving a bit of fabric to make a new matching hose cover. With regard to strap covers, I used to make my own but now I just call Karen at padacheek. Putting small velcro strips on the strap covers is a pain in the #$a** :wink: .

Happy sewing.......
Nan
Started cpap in 2010.. still at it with great results.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:57 pm

Bread ties....duct tape for the gals. :lol: :lol: :lol: since the guys use duct tape for everything. I have a drawer full of them.
Though I will admit to having a good supply of duct tape as well.
4 years of Home Econ in high school eons ago...I even made a formal once....now I don't even hem my own pants. I would much rather build something out of wood outside....back then girls didn't take wood working shop...that would have been more to my liking.
I even have a whole assortment of various power tools designed with a small woman in mind...from power screw drivers to circular saws to weed eaters, even a chain saw. Nothing a man can do that I can't do with just a little more time to get it done in.

The only thing I couldn't do was use the power drill to anchor things into concrete when we added a deck to the porch. I just didn't have the upper body strength to push the damn thing hard enough to get it into the concrete porch. I could almost do it but not quite.
I am just not big enough or strong enough. Anything else...I can get done.

My next project...a potting bench made out of old wood pallets. To be a gift for my sister. I got the pallets and the design forming in my head...now to put it together as soon as this heat wave subsides...I got until Sept though...that's when her birthday is.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

babydinosnoreless

Re: Sewing hose covers, first attempt finished

Post by babydinosnoreless » Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:49 pm

Pugsy wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:57 pm
Bread ties....duct tape for the gals. :lol: :lol: :lol: I have a drawer full of them.

Though I will admit to having a good supply of duct tape as well.
4 years of Home Econ in high school eons ago...I even made a formal once....now I don't even hem my own pants. I would much rather build something out of wood outside....back then girls didn't take wood working shop...that would have been more to my liking.
My school was enlightened. I took wood shop one year and I totally sucked at it. :lol: :lol: I got one year of sewing then moved on to Typing, 10 key and computers. (We had old TRS
80's) Computers was my love. I wish I had stuck with it, but marriage and babies got in the way.

I never was patient enough for the girly stuff. It was only after leading my kids girl scout troop that I got more into crafts, then as I've gotten older I find the patience for crafting comes easier. Though I am far from natural at it. Lol. Today for example I was looking for a pin cushion. The girl at the sewing shop just looked at me like I was stupid and said we don't carry those, most people just make their own. Facepalm moment. Duh why didn't I think of that ? Now I'm making a pin cushion before I start the hose cover. :lol: :lol:

babydinosnoreless

Post by babydinosnoreless » Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:22 pm

Well here it is my first try sewing instead of crocheting a hose cover. I learned a few lessons. #1 finish the ends before sewing the long side. :lol: :lol: #2 bread twists are still necessary, unless you are smarter than the elastic (which clearly I'm not) and most importantly sewing takes more patience than a classroom full of teenagers. :shock: I clearly need to take a sewing class or 10 if this stupid pandemic ever ends !
D06F34B8-E1FF-4CA1-87B2-265420E582CC.jpeg
8435EC0A-AC48-424F-A7B5-CC8F456EB4AB.jpeg
15460E4F-BC8B-4183-9A7E-545531FBCF99.jpeg
At least I got it finished before my new job starts next week.

roadcycler

Re: Sewing hose covers, first attempt.

Post by roadcycler » Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:25 am

As a way to cheat for the elastic, if you can find a small wide elastic band that fits snug on the hose you can turn your cover inside out, put it through the elastic, fold the cover back and with a needle and thread just do a slip stitch. This will work for a while until the elastic fails but you can do away with the twist tie.

babydinosnoreless

Post by babydinosnoreless » Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:26 am

roadcycler wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:25 am
As a way to cheat for the elastic, if you can find a small wide elastic band that fits snug on the hose you can turn your cover inside out, put it through the elastic, fold the cover back and with a needle and thread just do a slip stitch. This will work for a while until the elastic fails but you can do away with the twist tie.
Cool. Thanks!

TheDuke

Post by TheDuke » Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:41 pm

I have used commercial hose covers for years (nylon sleeve filled with fiber-fill insulation) and I snug both ends onto the hose boot with ordinary rubber bands after the hose is inserted. When a band breaks, I just put on another one. However a band usually lasts several months.

TheDuke

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:38 pm

Don't know if metsfan is still around, but you could try to contact him...He was still posting early this year.
viewtopic/t109716/Offering-Hand-Knitted ... lit=covers

babydinosnoreless

Post by babydinosnoreless » Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:55 pm

LSAT wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:38 pm
Don't know if metsfan is still around, but you could try to contact him...He was still posting early this year.
Oh thanks. Not looking to buy. Just playing around with my sewing machine. Tired of making masks wanted to get a little more ambitious.

Tinben

Post by Tinben » Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:58 pm

babydinosnoreless wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:55 pm
LSAT wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:38 pm
Oh thanks. Not looking to buy. Just playing around with my sewing machine. Tired of making masks wanted to get a little more ambitious.
Wanted to bring this thread back to top. Haven’t gotten my cpap machine setup yet but thinking of making covers. My wife will be out of work for awhile and she loves to sew and so does my 13yr old daughter. I got to thinking about hose covers and did some google searches. Mostly everything I find is blue or grey. Did find a lot on Etsy in cool colors but plan on making my own. Done got me some flannel from fabric.com with my wife’s order. I have worked with my hands my entire life in the construction industry and ain’t scared of no sewing machine. :lol:
Resmed Autoset 10-For Her/Him
Resmed F30i

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:44 pm

I got a new Kitchenaid mixer for Christmas, and I need to make a quilted cozy for it.
(like the old style toaster slip covers.)
--preferably with a zipper, because I tuck my measuring cups, etc. in the bowl.
If you have the dimensions--that's your pattern.

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:26 pm

I just sewed a tube with a few inches at at each end open and I secure it with hair ties I buy at the Dollar store. I use lightweight flannel. I just keeps the sound down from plastic hose knocking against things.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm