How is one to test and try out different masks?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
PhilS

How is one to test and try out different masks?

Post by PhilS » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:47 am

Hello,

My insurance company covers my CPAP supplies. But they only replace the full mask setup (mask, and strap) every 6 months. They cover the mask cushions every month. I am using the Respironics Full face Blue Comfort Gel mask.

But I am having some trouble with the mask strap. It is not lasting more than a month to 40 days. It is starting to cut the back side of my neck, and my neck is becoming inflamed, and painful. If anyone has a solution that worked for them, I would love to try it out and see if it works for me.

I asked my provider to see if I can get a strap every month, and they said only if I charge the mask model. But that means I have to get used to a new mask, and I wonder how do I test and try out masks to see which will work best for me?

Is there a program where I can get a bunch of masks all at once and try them out over a short period of time, and them pick the one that works best for me?

Thanks for any advice.

Pugsy

Re: How is one to test and try out different masks?

Post by Pugsy » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:01 pm

Go to Padacheek.com and look at the strap pads.
http://www.padacheek.com/

Headgear can be bought without a RX from any number of online sources and it not cost nearly as much as a DME would charge.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Julie

Post by Julie » Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:16 pm

Depending on what your insce co. says, for a small fee you can try out diff. masks for a few wks from Cpap.com (the forum's owners), maybe give them a call after checking.

RogerSC

Post by RogerSC » Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:31 pm

There is "return insurance" available from cpap.com when you buy a cpap mask from them. For new masks, this is often free, for older ones it may cost some money. What you do is to buy the mask that you want to try, and select "return insurance" at checkout. Then you'll also pay extra for the ability to try a mask for 30 days (return insurance), and get a refund of your purchase price when you return the mask if it doesn't work for you. If the mask that you buy works well for you, there you go, you're done. After that, god willing and the creek don't rise, you may be able to buy that mask and associated supplies through your insurance.

Other than that, I'm not aware of any programs that will send you a bunch of masks and allow you to try them without cost. I would talk with my insurance company before embarking on this, and see what they can do for you in terms of reimbursing you for the mask or masks that work for you that you find on cpap.com.

Mark55

Post by Mark55 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:44 pm

PhilS wrote:Hello,

My insurance company covers my CPAP supplies. But they only replace the full mask setup (mask, and strap) every 6 months. They cover the mask cushions every month. I am using the Respironics Full face Blue Comfort Gel mask.

But I am having some trouble with the mask strap. It is not lasting more than a month to 40 days. It is starting to cut the back side of my neck, and my neck is becoming inflamed, and painful. If anyone has a solution that worked for them, I would love to try it out and see if it works for me.

I asked my provider to see if I can get a strap every month, and they said only if I charge the mask model. But that means I have to get used to a new mask, and I wonder how do I test and try out masks to see which will work best for me?

Is there a program where I can get a bunch of masks all at once and try them out over a short period of time, and them pick the one that works best for me?

Thanks for any advice.
This is my biggest problem as well. You would think the freaking DMEs would let you try on as many as needed when you go for your 'fitting', to find one that fits well, and doesn't leak. I know they can be sterilized and tried again.

My 'fitting' with Crapria involved a woman that seemed to know less about this than I do holding out two plastic bags and asking me to pick which one I wanted to try. She had no success in getting the mask to not leak, but casually told me it was mine now so,.....take it home and play with it.

Gryphon

Post by Gryphon » Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:07 pm

Ya that's a bit of a stinking pile. There is mask insurance from the manufacturer that allows you to swap a masking it didn't work for you. If they won't work with you on it they're ether incompetent, last, or they're selling the loaner/tryout masks under the table to increase their bottom line.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:19 pm

PhilS wrote: . . . mask strap . . . not lasting more than a month to 40 days. It is starting to cut the back side of my neck, and my neck is becoming inflamed, and painful. . . .
Headgear going bad that quickly may be due to adjusting it too tightly.
A looser fit will be easier on your neck, and a good bit nicer on your face.
The gel mask does allow for tighter adjustment, but the headgear on that mask is extremely flimsy.
Third party headgear will fit this mask.
I used the Resmed Quattro headgear, and cpap.com's knockoff headgear works quite well, also.
Either is more durable than the fuzzy disaster made by respironics.