Tips for Mouth-breathers? I'm having some issues.

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
tomkatt

Tips for Mouth-breathers? I'm having some issues.

Post by tomkatt » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:31 am

My numbers have been good recently, usually between 3 and 4 AHI. But the only way I can keep them down is wrapping a scarf around my head. I've tried tape, tried a mouthguard, tried a headstrap, none worked. This stiff fabric scarf is working to keep my mouth shut, but it's locking my jaw so tight that this morning I woke up with a sore jaw and teeth (the sore jaw isn't uncommon, the teeth clench is new).

Any tips for keeping my mouth shut naturally, or better alternatives that will keep my jaw from slacking but not put so much pressure on my jaw and teeth?

Julie

Re: Tips for Mouth-breathers? I'm having some issues.

Post by Julie » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:51 am

1) soft cervical collar - used by many

2) have you never tried a full face mask (designed just for m. breathers)?

tomkatt

Post by tomkatt » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:12 am

Julie wrote:1) soft cervical collar - used by many

2) have you never tried a full face mask (designed just for m. breathers)?
I've not tried a full mask yet. All mine have been nasal masks. I'm a little concerned as I wasa horrible snorer before CPAP, especially laying on my back. CPAP and keeping my mouth shut seems to have eliminated that but I wonder if it'll be an issue again with a full mask if my mouth is open.

TASmart

Post by TASmart » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:14 am

The only way I can keep my mouth shut while sleeping is a wide elastic type chinstrap. I think its a Respironics. The chin cup type I got of resmed doesn't work at all. Taping kind of works but not well. I have found no way to keep my mouth shut while awake.
All posts reflect my own opinion based on my experience and reading.
Your mileage may vary
Past performance is no guarantee of future results
Consult with your own physician as people very

nicholasjh1

Post by nicholasjh1 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:30 am

I just started a hybrid mask (nasal pillows with mouth only mask) and it helps my mouth stay shut. mouth leak is a thing of the past. I think the main issue with nasal only is the pressure becomes greater than the outside pressure, so pressure equalization dictates mouthleak automatically happening. with the hybrid mask it seems to encourage my mouth to stay shut... it's actually hard to mouth breath... and because of the pressure equalization mouthleak with air going out of your mouth is much less likely to happen. Just think about what happens with a building when the vents are cranked up... all that air seeping out. That wouldn't happen if the pressure outside the building was identical.
Instead of Sleep apnea it should be called "Sleep deprivation, starving of oxygen, being poisoned by high CO2 levels, damaging the body and brain while it's supposed to be healing so that you constantly get worse and can never get healthy Apnea"

Julie

Post by Julie » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:31 am

Do what you can to not back sleep... wear a backpk stuffed with towels to keep you from flipping, or pillows in behind, etc. There are only so many real 'tricks' that work and you can't take a pill for everything.

Go to Cpap.com and look at the FFMs... there are reviews (real ones), pix, etc etc. and many choices. And you can 'rent' them x (?) 30 days to try them out. Always try on FFMs while lying down - your face changes a lot then compared to sitting.

zonker

Post by zonker » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:35 am

tomkatt wrote:My numbers have been good recently, usually between 3 and 4 AHI. But the only way I can keep them down is wrapping a scarf around my head. I've tried tape, tried a mouthguard, tried a headstrap, none worked. This stiff fabric scarf is working to keep my mouth shut, but it's locking my jaw so tight that this morning I woke up with a sore jaw and teeth (the sore jaw isn't uncommon, the teeth clench is new).

Any tips for keeping my mouth shut naturally, or better alternatives that will keep my jaw from slacking but not put so much pressure on my jaw and teeth?
hi, tomkatt! i would also recommend a soft cervical collar. plus i use this method found here-
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=112758&st=0&sk=t&sd ... i#p1086296

this works a treat for me and is very cheap to boot!
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

Kiralynx

Post by Kiralynx » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:56 pm

Since New Orleans is hot year round, a cervical collar, which would make me sweat, was not an option for me. (Many people find them very useful.)

And since I am claustrophobic and can't stand straps and things on or around my face, a chin strap wasn't an option, either. (Besides, they're hot, too! But there ARE people who find them very helpful.)

So I created my "brandy keg," a 4" diameter cylindrical piece of foam which I cut to about 4" long, and then, using an apple corer, bored a hole down the center of the length of the cylinder. I wrapped it in moisture-wick fabric, and cut a piece from an old mask strap and stick it through the hole. Strap goes around my neck, and I snug the "keg" up under my chin. It holds my mouth shut -- but I can shift it if I want a sip of water or something.

It has worked for me for almost 9 years.

Beastie, 2008-10-28. NEW Beastie, PRS1 960, 2014-05-14. NEWER Beastie, Dream Station ASV, 2017-10-17. PadaCheek Hosecover. Homemade Brandy Keg Chin Support. TapPap Mask.
Min PS = 4, Max PS = 8
Epap Range = 6 - 7.5

TASmart

Post by TASmart » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:11 pm

xxyzx wrote:
TASmart wrote:The only way I can keep my mouth shut while sleeping is a wide elastic type chinstrap. I think its a Respironics. The chin cup type I got of resmed doesn't work at all. Taping kind of works but not well. I have found no way to keep my mouth shut while awake.
=================

and you post nonsense when you are asleep
And now the 8th error made by xxyzx today, I don't post when I am asleep.
Your mileage may vary

TASmart

Post by TASmart » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:32 pm

More namecalling, and insisting you are right when you are wrong... Makes about 12 today so far.

As far as I am concerned my posts are fully credible. Yours not so much.
Your mileage may vary

TedVPAP

Post by TedVPAP » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:27 pm

I find that the Ultimate Chinstrap works best for me. The design keeps the jaw closed, the checks restrained, and a restriction to mouth leaking. I line it with a clean sock so that the need for cleaning is minimized. Some people on the forum have made their own.

Additional Comments: AutoPAP 16-20, Ultimate Chin Strap http://sleepapneasolutionsinc.com/
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment:
how to see your data https://sleep.tnet.com/resources/sleepyhead
how to present your data https://sleep.tnet.com/resources/sleepyhead/shorganize
how to post your data https://sleep.tnet.com/reference/tips/imgur

TASmart

Post by TASmart » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:59 pm

I know its a futile effort but could xxyzx point out one single post of "pure crap" that I have posted? Just one is all I ask.
Your mileage may vary

Julie

Post by Julie » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:50 pm

Do you realize the (new) OP has not come back for answers? Any idea why that might be? Yes xxxxxy did his usual ghastly thing, but it might have been ignored by the OP and his question answered, but you have decided (Tas) to fight with him in the midst of the OP's first post in the forum, and I'm sure by doing so drove him (or is it a her?) away for good. Don't you have anything smarter to do? XXX can be forgiven for being a real problem child, but what's your excuse?

TASmart

Post by TASmart » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:20 pm

My excuse is that where ever xxyzx posts a falsehood I will dispute it. The forum owner seems to tacitly approve such behavior by not having a moderated forum. Certainly, I don't mean to chase people away, but how else do we fight the misinformation and general rudeness of xxyzx? Clearly, you think differently than I do about this, but this is a free forum, and your thoughts carry no more weight than mine. No less either.

And I did offer a legit possible solution to the OP, long before I replied to xxyzx's claim that I post in my sleep.
Your mileage may vary

Rainmom17

Post by Rainmom17 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:02 pm

Response to the OP about a FFM: I use a full face mask and was a horrible snorer before cpap. Sometimes my mouth is open with the mask, but I don't snore AT ALL. So, I don't think you need to be concerned about a return to snoring with a FFM.