Snoring again- how to fix?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
WindFlyer

Snoring again- how to fix?

Post by WindFlyer » Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:20 pm

My wife told me that I started snoring last night even though I had my mask/machine on and there were no leaks. My first reaction is that I need to turn my pressure up (I run a straight CPAP currently set at 17cm) but my wife said that having the pressure up too high might cause more apneas. Is this true? I thought if I was snoring with my mask on and no leaks, I need to turn the pressure up.

40,000 hours on CPAP
100% Compliant for 15 yrs.+

Mask breathers unite!

Wulfman...

Re: Snoring again- how to fix?

Post by Wulfman... » Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:38 pm

WindFlyer wrote:My wife told me that I started snoring last night even though I had my mask/machine on and there were no leaks. My first reaction is that I need to turn my pressure up (I run a straight CPAP currently set at 17cm) but my wife said that having the pressure up too high might cause more apneas. Is this true? I thought if I was snoring with my mask on and no leaks, I need to turn the pressure up.
Good to see you again, WF.

Might want to wait and see if it's just a one night thing or a trend. (before tweaking pressures)
Could be you were in a position (like on your back) that is more prone to promote snoring.

Den

hueyville

Post by hueyville » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:33 pm

Using straight cpap my snoring slows at 17 and stops at 19. Tonight first night at 20 and machine woke me up. Passing gas and burping till reduce bloated feeling. Last study says i need to get comfortable at somewhere around 24.
For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine, but according to their own desires, because they have itching ears, they will heap up for themselves teachers; and they will turn their ears away from the truth

WindFlyer

Post by WindFlyer » Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:50 pm

Wulfman... wrote:
Good to see you again, WF.

Good to see you again as well, Den! Thanks!

40,000 hours on CPAP
100% Compliant for 15 yrs.+

Mask breathers unite!

kteague

Post by kteague » Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:52 pm

WindFlyer wrote: my wife said that having the pressure up too high might cause more apneas. Is this true?
Well, hello - good to see a familiar face...er, plane. Wonder if your wife might be referring to how some people are sensitive to higher pressures and develop centrals.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:14 pm

WF,

Regarding the possibility of higher pressures (potentially) causing pressure-induced Central Apneas, for all intents and purposes, only people who are susceptible to them would have them occur. Typically, the Centrals would have been discovered during a sleep study and even more typically would occur in pressures lower than what you're using. And, roughly only about 15% of users MAY be susceptible to pressure-induced Centrals.

Another thought or two came to me. Have you checked your machine to see if it's putting out the pressure it's set to?
Your profile shows you're using a ResMed S6 Lightweight, which is not data capable. Do you have another data-capable machine (or access to one) so you could see some data to see how your settings are treating you? Fully data-capable machines aren't all that expensive and can be acquired pretty easily.

Checking your machine's output can be done pretty easily and cheaply. If you go up to the "Advanced search" and do a search on "manometer" with the Author as "tomjax", you'll be able to find how to do it with a bucket of water and a ruler.

Den

jweeks

Post by jweeks » Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:41 pm

Hi,

If the snoring continues, try bumping the pressure up just a tiny bit. Sometimes a 1/2 cm increase is all it takes if you are right on the edge. As others have suggested, check to see if this continues. I know that I have nights once a month or so where nothing seems to work. Maybe this was just a random odd night for you.

-john-