Newbie with AHI Question - Sleepyhead Data

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
barrybd

Newbie with AHI Question - Sleepyhead Data

Post by barrybd » Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:46 pm

I am new to the world of CPAP data and new to this forum. I have been using a very old CPAP (brick), with no support. This Fall I went for a sleep study - AHI 33. I got a new PR System 1 with auto. I have been using it for 2 weeks and have loaded the Sleepyhead software. I am not sure but it seems like my AHI is surprisingly high (see below). Not sure what is going on. I had a little trouble getting used to the CPAP, but am now sleeping through the night (also a user of Zeo - RIP). Can some of you experienced and learned folk look at this and tell me if I should be concerned about these numbers? Thanks!

Hmmm, can't seem to load the image. Any help with that would also be appreciated. My AHI for last night was 6.57 and peaked at around 20, per the AHI Chart. I realize the 7 is better than 33, but I hear many people say they are now under 2 with their CPAPs.

Thanks!

Bill44133

Re: Newbie with AHI Question - Sleepyhead Data

Post by Bill44133 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:57 pm

barrybd wrote:I am new to the world of CPAP data and new to this forum. I have been using a very old CPAP (brick), with no support. This Fall I went for a sleep study - AHI 33. I got a new PR System 1 with auto. I have been using it for 2 weeks and have loaded the Sleepyhead software. I am not sure but it seems like my AHI is surprisingly high (see below). Not sure what is going on. I had a little trouble getting used to the CPAP, but am now sleeping through the night (also a user of Zeo - RIP). Can some of you experienced and learned folk look at this and tell me if I should be concerned about these numbers? Thanks!

Hmmm, can't seem to load the image. Any help with that would also be appreciated. My AHI for last night was 6.57 and peaked at around 20, per the AHI Chart. I realize the 7 is better than 33, but I hear many people say they are now under 2 with their CPAPs.

Thanks!
Your AHI should be under 5. What are your pressure settings?

Also check out this link should help you understand sleephead data:
viewtopic/t88983/Pugsys-PointersSleepyH ... nding.html

Additional Comments: Settings are IPap 23 EPap 19

barrybd

Post by barrybd » Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:09 pm

Pressure is 7 tp 15. Last night the Max was 13.4

Thanks! I did read Pugsy's helpful tutorial on Sleepyhead. Now I am just trying to figure out what to do with the info

Bill44133

Post by Bill44133 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:02 pm

barrybd wrote:Pressure is 7 tp 15. Last night the Max was 13.4

Thanks! I did read Pugsy's helpful tutorial on Sleepyhead. Now I am just trying to figure out what to do with the info
Do you know exactly what you are trying to figure out? Are you having issues?

There are lots of helpful people on this board that can help you.

jweeks

Post by jweeks » Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:19 pm

Hi,

What type of events are you having? Apnea events are generally the most harmful. Hypos might or might not be bad. Centrals are a wildcard--machines are not very good at telling if they are real or not. Leaks are the other big data item to look at. If the leak rate is high, then the AHI numbers are not valid.

Have you had a clinic follow-up since you got the new machine? There is generally a 60 day follow-up where they download your data and a doctor makes recommendations. If it isn't obvious what is going on, they will sometimes have a follow-up study.

-john-

sleepstar

Post by sleepstar » Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:45 am

barrybd wrote:I am new to the world of CPAP data and new to this forum. I have been using a very old CPAP (brick), with no support. This Fall I went for a sleep study - AHI 33. I got a new PR System 1 with auto. I have been using it for 2 weeks and have loaded the Sleepyhead software. I am not sure but it seems like my AHI is surprisingly high (see below). Not sure what is going on. I had a little trouble getting used to the CPAP, but am now sleeping through the night (also a user of Zeo - RIP). Can some of you experienced and learned folk look at this and tell me if I should be concerned about these numbers? Thanks!

Thanks!
A drop from 33 to 6.57 is fantastic. Although <5 is ideal, it won't happen in everyone's case.

If you do want to try tackling that number though, try increasing the minimum and maximum pressures by 1 or 2 cm and then see what your AHI is.

robysue

Post by robysue » Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:39 am

Without seeing the daily data (event table, the flow rate graph, the pressure graph, and the leak graph), it's hard to do anything other than speculate on why your treated AHI remains above 5.

It is possible that a modest increase in the minimum pressure setting might bring the AHI down further. But what to do really depends on what the breakdown of events is and whether you're also fighting significant leaks.

barrybd

Post by barrybd » Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:33 am

John,

For Dec 19, AHI was 6.57, Hypopnea - 2.45 and Obstructive was 3.74. I would happily post the graphs, but am not sure how. When I click the Img link at the top, it will not let me Paste anything. Not sure how to upload the files to CPAPTALK and insert them?

I have not had the followup with the sleep doctor. It is scheduled for mid Jan.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:43 am

How to post images of reports
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=81072&p=737779#p737779

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

barrybd

Post by barrybd » Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:22 am

Thanks Pugsy!

Let's see if this works:

OK, I think I got it.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:52 am

I suspect a small increase in the minimum pressure would help clear up the bulk of the "clutter" we see on your events graph...like maybe just 1 cm.

Are you sleeping well...or are you experiencing considerable awake time with the mask and machine on? I see one break in therapy for sure, right after that big leak. The PB times...those little green boxes on the top of the events graph...any chance you were awake or semi awake during that time frame?

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

barrybd

Post by barrybd » Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:57 pm

Pugsy,

Just curious why a small increase in the minimum pressure might help? I don't see any clear correlation between pressure and AHI, but it seems like my highest AHI periods are when when the pressure is 10 or above. Just trying to understand how these things work. Oh, the big leak was when I got up to use the bathroom.

As for how well I am sleeping, I have a bit of trouble to answer that. When I first got the new CPAP, I was waking up around 5AM and having trouble getting back to sleep. This is very unusual for me (waking up is always the hard part). I think the new CPAP is either noisier or at least makes a different set of noises I am a Zeo user and have used it for more than a year, but still have only a little confidence in its accuracy. When I got the new CPAP, my Zeo numbers did take a big hit (low 40's and below). The last few days have been in the low 60's and it does feel like I am sleeping through the night (mostly). I am wondering with all these apnea events, maybe Zeo is not really showing the true quality of my sleep.

Bill44133

Post by Bill44133 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:34 pm

barrybd wrote:Pugsy,

Just curious why a small increase in the minimum pressure might help? I don't see any clear correlation between pressure and AHI, but it seems like my highest AHI periods are when when the pressure is 10 or above. Just trying to understand how these things work.
Barry,

Take a few minutes to review this video it will put things in perspective for you. It helped me understand what was happening with me: http://www.resmed.com/us/multimedia/und ... 40x380.swf

I hope that this helps you understand your question.

barrybd

Post by barrybd » Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:09 pm

Bill44133,

Thanks! That is a great video! It seems worthwhile for any newbie.

Bill44133

Post by Bill44133 » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:04 am

barrybd wrote:Bill44133,

Thanks! That is a great video! It seems worthwhile for any newbie.
yes I think it is very worthwhile.. I hope that it answered your question.. Sometimes a little extra pressure to hold the air way open is all you need to get restful sleep..