Problem - Not a good night - Advice on Full Face Mask please

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Jaywolf

Problem - Not a good night - Advice on Full Face Mask please

Post by Jaywolf » Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:50 am

Hi All,

Last night was a disaster. I had a terrible time getting comfortable, mask was leaking but I still had a happy face on my machine so it wasn't significant. Thing is.. all day yesterday I was tired and nearly fell asleep in a training session. Last night I kept waking up as I have every night. I kept feeling air bubbling out through my lips and some of the time my mouth dropped open, so I would wake up and sometimes I felt like I was suffocating. Things came to a head about 5 this morning when I woke up unable to breathe, I tried to talk myself through it, pulled the mask away slightly, air flowing, so kept pulling it in, I know about panic so I was trying to just relax and breathe.. this all happened really fast and the feeling was overwhelming, I tore the mask off and was gasping for breath for several breaths until I calmed down and felt better.

I just spoke to my respiratory therapist on the phone and he thinks I am still having apnea due to not getting the therapy properly because my mouth keeps opening, I do have chronic sinusitis so perhaps this is figuring into it. He suggests getting a full face mask immediately so that I am getting the therapy whether my mouth opens or not. This makes sense to me and to be honest I had already thought that is what I need.

Anyone have any recommendations for a full face mask to use with humidifier and heated tubing?

Foggy1

Re: Problem - Not a good night - Advice on Full Face Mask please

Post by Foggy1 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:57 am

I like the Fisher & Paykel FlexiFit. I've also heard good things about their new Simplus mask, although I've not tried it yet. But really, it all depends on which one is the best fit for your face.

49er

Post by 49er » Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:59 am

Hi Jaywolf,

As one who who has struggled to find the right elusive full face mask, that is the million dollar question. Right now, I am using the Quattro Air because other than the Quattro FX, it feels very light on my face. Unfortunately, its leaks caused me to awaken from what I felt was going to be one of my better nights on the machine which unfortunately have been quite rare.

To remedy the situation, I intend to try homemade liners out of baby wipes to see if that helps. Many people also have found Karen's padacheck liners very helpful if that becomes an issue.

What you might want to do is go to cpap.com and look at the reviews of the FF masks to see what looks like a possible choice. But besides the reviews, closely look at the pictures to make sure that the mask isn't pressing on your nasal which could be a problem if you have sinus congestion. Of course, you won't truly know until you try a mask at the DME but this would still give you some idea as to what to look into.

Finally, some people have found better luck with nasal pillow masks in spite of having sinus issues. Hasn't been the case in my situation but something for you to consider.

Best of luck.

49er
Jaywolf wrote:Hi All,

Last night was a disaster. I had a terrible time getting comfortable, mask was leaking but I still had a happy face on my machine so it wasn't significant. Thing is.. all day yesterday I was tired and nearly fell asleep in a training session. Last night I kept waking up as I have every night. I kept feeling air bubbling out through my lips and some of the time my mouth dropped open, so I would wake up and sometimes I felt like I was suffocating. Things came to a head about 5 this morning when I woke up unable to breathe, I tried to talk myself through it, pulled the mask away slightly, air flowing, so kept pulling it in, I know about panic so I was trying to just relax and breathe.. this all happened really fast and the feeling was overwhelming, I tore the mask off and was gasping for breath for several breaths until I calmed down and felt better.

I just spoke to my respiratory therapist on the phone and he thinks I am still having apnea due to not getting the therapy properly because my mouth keeps opening, I do have chronic sinusitis so perhaps this is figuring into it. He suggests getting a full face mask immediately so that I am getting the therapy whether my mouth opens or not. This makes sense to me and to be honest I had already thought that is what I need.

Anyone have any recommendations for a full face mask to use with humidifier and heated tubing?

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:01 am

You are simply going to have to try one to know if it works for you. There's a reason why there are so many full face masks to choose from...one size/type/model doesn't fit all.
A mask one person might love...another person might hate and for good reason.

People will tend to suggest the mask that they have had good luck with but there's no guarantee that you will have similar luck.

You need to be able to lay down and try the masks with machine on and pressure being delivered to have the best chance of success.

Find out which full face masks your DME has in stock...and try them on at the office...laying down and under pressure if at all possible. They should have office demos available for this purpose.
Make sure that you are measured for size and they don't just slap it on your face and say "looks good".

F & P has a new full face mask that seems to be getting good reviews initially....the Simplus.
ResMed has the Quattro FX (no forehead piece) as well as it's brother the Mirage Quattro (with forehead piece) that are popular full face masks.
Initially for today...you are going to be limited to what the DME has in stock.
I would also suggest looking at the Hybrid full face mask...covers mouth and uses nasal pillows...that way you avoid any pressure on the nose itself which for some people makes congestion worse.
There is the Innomed/Respcare Hybrid and a similar mask from ResMed called the Liberty.

Something to try...put your fingers up on your nose in the area of the bridge of the nose where a mask would rest..apply a little pressure...does your nose become congested?

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Bill44133

Post by Bill44133 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:24 pm

I like the PMI Probasics Zzz-Mask Full Face. I loved that I don't have anything drilling into my forehead,
and how lightweight it is. https://www.cpap.com/productpage/zzz-ma ... asics.html

I bought this one on my own because the insurance will only buy every 6 months and is alot cheaper then quattro masks.
The replacement cushions are in expensive also.

Good Luck in your search for the right mask it makes all the difference.

Additional Comments: Settings are IPap 23 EPap 19
Last edited by Bill44133 on Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

old dude

Post by old dude » Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:51 pm

Good advice from Pugsy. My personal experience has been that with one exception, you can throw most opinions about FFMs right out the window. (That one exception is the Amara-it seems to hurt everyone's nose.) Everyone's variables are different, and unless you're very lucky you may have to try several before you find one the likes you.

I've tried 10-12 (some twice) and have finally settled on the Quattro Air. It has to be the lightest FFM on the market and is very simple to use and disassemble for cleaning. You might want to put it on your list to try.

Ducky2

Post by Ducky2 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:04 pm

I am only on week three of this cpap business. first 2 weeks were a trial, than I had to purchase my own machine.
during the trial period I was given a Quattro FX, I didn't like the fit of it especially over the ear area and got lots of leaks especially during the middle of my sleep period.... this week I am trying a F&P SIMPLUS as others have listed above. I find I like the feel of it much better even tho it has the high forehead band its still very comfortable to wear and seems alot sturdier than the resmed headgear.

first night wasn't good...but last 3 nights I slept fairly well for at least 6 hrs. bit troubled as to why my AH1 has been higher the past two nights? from a 1 to a 4 or 5. will have to ask.

I have the option of also trying a Quattro MIRAGE next week, same design as the F&P just different manufacturer.

jweeks

Post by jweeks » Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:58 pm

Jaywolf wrote:Anyone have any recommendations for a full face mask to use with humidifier and heated tubing?
Hi,

I tired a number of full face masks, and lived with this torture device called a Quatro for several months. My face just isn't designed to work with one of them things. Based on advice from some other forum members, I attacked this problem from the other point of view--trying to keep my mouth closed rather than using a full face mask. That allowed me to use a very lightweight and very comfortable nasal pillow mask. Some folks work well with just a chin strap. That didn't work for me. I ended up with a somewhat ugly solution of taping my mouth (with 2 inch wide 3M micropore tape). That has worked for me for nearly 5 years. There are some risks, but when I compare them to the risks of not doing it, I decided I was willing to accept those risks.

-john-