New leak problems

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Joshaldo

New leak problems

Post by Joshaldo » Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:03 pm

Hey guys I am currently using a nasal mask which has served me well for the last 18 months. I have recently updated to a new mask because my old one was worn out. I have recently lost 9 kg and have found I am now waking up with a dry mouth a few times during the night, thinking I might be leaking from my mouth due to my high pressure of 19. I am looking at ways to fix this and am wondering if taping my mouth is ok or should I order a full face mask? What full face mask would you guys recommend? Side sleeping and not leaking is important to me.

Ruinednose

Re: New leak problems

Post by Ruinednose » Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:07 pm

try not to tape the mouth, either use a chinstrap or better yet a good FFM definetly not the AMARA FFM

DEXSUZ

Post by DEXSUZ » Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:57 pm

Stay away from the Ultra Mirage and Mirage Quattro full-face masks as if they have snakes hidden in them. The latter will drive you nuts with fart noises and the former is a nose-basher.

Quattro FX is much kinder to one's nose especially if one attaches a chin strap connecting the bottom two straps. As well, it lends itself to fewer and softer noises.

jweeks

Post by jweeks » Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:50 pm

Joshaldo wrote:I have recently lost 9 kg and have found I am now waking up with a dry mouth a few times during the night, thinking I might be leaking from my mouth due to my high pressure of 19. I am looking at ways to fix this and am wondering if taping my mouth is ok or should I order a full face mask?
Hi,

Dry mouth when using a nasal mask is most often from mouth leaks. I ran for several years at pressures between 19 and 21, and I know how hard it is to get any mask to work at those pressures. It is almost impossible to prevent mouth leaks--the air will blow your lips open even if your jaw is pulled tight with a chin strap. I couldn't find a full face mask that I could live with. I ended up going the mouth taping route. I did experiment with a boil & bite device that did a good job blocking mouth leaks, but having something in my teeth seemed to have all the same risks that taping had, and taping was easier to deal with. Taping does have some risks, so try a chin strap first, then try a full face mask, and see if either of those solutions work.

-john-

SleepWellCPAP

Post by SleepWellCPAP » Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:57 pm

I have had clients use a strip of medical tape when a chinstrap didn't do the job. They placed the strip vertical to cover just over the center part of the mouth. In other words, they could still breath through the corners of their mouth. Though I have never personally recommended anyone do that, I can confirm people have reported less mouth breathing by applying tape in that fashion.

Regarding a full-face mask, the current Quattro Air by ResMed seems to be working well for many people. The air entrainment port is in a nice quiet circle to the front and the quick disconnect has been improved immensely. As a bonus, as the word "Air" in the title implies, the mask only weighs 3 ounces.

Good luck!
Jim Swearingen
Author of the book Sleep Well & Feel Great with CPAP, a definitive guide
For a free copy inquire with your local county librarian
CPAPtalk featured - Also available through Barnes & Noble Booksellers

Denial Dave

Post by Denial Dave » Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:27 pm

I've been using the Resmed Quattro for 15 months now and never found any snakes in it... it is my mask of choice!!

The Quattro Air is a nice concept. But the width of the plastic frame near the cheeks is about 1/2 inch narrower than the Quattro frame. The Quattro Air leaked for me after movement during sleep.

Dave

if you don't know where you are going... any road will take you there.... George Harrison

Joshaldo

Post by Joshaldo » Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:24 pm

I am looking at the Quattro full face mask, I can get it for just over $100 to Australia. Any feedback on that mask?

DoriC

Post by DoriC » Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:30 pm

Either the QuattroFF or the former UltraMirageFF are both good ff masks. My husband uses both of them.

"Do or Do Not-There Is No Try"-"Yoda"
"We are what we repeatedly do,so excellence
is not an act but a habit"-"Aristotle"
DEAR HUBBY BEGAN CPAP 9/2/08

robysue

Post by robysue » Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:05 am

DEXSUZ wrote:Stay away from the Ultra Mirage and Mirage Quattro full-face masks as if they have snakes hidden in them. The latter will drive you nuts with fart noises and the former is a nose-basher.
and
DoriC wrote:Either the QuattroFF or the former UltraMirageFF are both good ff masks. My husband uses both of them.
It's important to note that these two diametrically opposed statements are the result of the simple fact that: The best mask in the nose of user.

No matter what your favorite mask is, there's someone out there who just could not make it work or simply can't stand the dang thing.

No matter what your least favorite mask is, there's someone out there who just loves that mask and can't imagine PAPing with anything else.

inkdesigner

Post by inkdesigner » Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:36 am

I was just checking the posts from my husbands pc. So this is Nanderson not inkdesigner. I found that using the 2 in breathable first aid tape and a heavy moisture blistex ( I used the Moisture Melt) worked for me to train myself. I took a small piece of toilet paper in the center of the tape and cut a slit so I would be able to wet my lips or drink through a straw. Using the blistex, I did not keep trying to wet my lips as much and I managed. I kept making the opening a bit larger and now I no longer need to try to seal my mouth. (My husband had a field day saying that I could not even keep my mouth shut in me sleep.) Now tell me , other than good sleep why would I want to do that?

DoriC

Post by DoriC » Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:05 pm

robysue wrote:
DEXSUZ wrote:Stay away from the Ultra Mirage and Mirage Quattro full-face masks as if they have snakes hidden in them. The latter will drive you nuts with fart noises and the former is a nose-basher.
and
DoriC wrote:Either the QuattroFF or the former UltraMirageFF are both good ff masks. My husband uses both of them.
It's important to note that these two diametrically opposed statements are the result of the simple fact that: The best mask in the nose of user.

No matter what your favorite mask is, there's someone out there who just could not make it work or simply can't stand the dang thing.

No matter what your least favorite mask is, there's someone out there who just loves that mask and can't imagine PAPing with anything else.
I don't want anyone saying bad things about my masks!

"Do or Do Not-There Is No Try"-"Yoda"
"We are what we repeatedly do,so excellence
is not an act but a habit"-"Aristotle"
DEAR HUBBY BEGAN CPAP 9/2/08

Bobby269

Post by Bobby269 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:12 pm

Switching to a full face mask is no guarantee that you will stop having dry mouth. I have been using a FF mask for many years. If I can't keep my mouth shut through the night, I will wake up with a dry mouth. A pap cap chin strap has helped me a lot.

Additional Comments: Set to Apap 14.00/20. EPR 3, Climate line hose, Oscar for Mac 1.1.0. Betta.1

Sir NoddinOff

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:15 pm

jweeks wrote: I couldn't find a full face mask that I could live with. I ended up going the mouth taping route. -john-
Here's a reprint of something I wrote a few months ago about a safer way to tape one's mouth. Hope it proves useful:

This is mainly for nasal mask users. Here's how I use 3M NexCare multipore plastic tape to tape my mouth by using a 'rip-away slit' which makes taping as safe as a chinstrap. I know, a big claim, but read on!

Here's how I do it. I put a long strip completely over my lips in a horizontal fashion while compressing my lips firmly together... I fold over pull-off tabs at either end, just for ease of removal. Next I take a VERY dull steak knife with a somewhat blunted point which I keep in a bedstand drawer and carefully cut a horizontal slit about a half inch long (while the tape is on my lips) in the middle of the tape where the center of my lips seal together. The blade is so dull it doesn't damage my lips at all; it's a very dull knife but you do need a bit of a dull point to get thru the tape. A butter knife just doesn't seem to work.

Here's the beauty part: If I have to get my mouth open quickly (only once in a year have I had to do this) all I have to do is force my lips apart and typically the tape just rips itself down each side of the slit and my mouth pops completely open. I also do this every morning to get the tape off and only about 5% of the time does the tape resist splitting... if that happens all I have to do is force the tip of my tongue between my lips and out thru the slit or just poke the slit with a fingertip - then it easily rips apart. It comes off very nicely in the morning with no pain. Another good point: If I need to take a pill in the middle of the night it's convenient because I just slip it thru the slit and use a soda straw and water to swallow it. Try this method while awake the first time and I think you'll find it's pretty easy to do. I use Palmolive dishwashing soap to get any sticky residue off of my face and leave it on for a few minutes while I make tea or whatever. BTW, I've never had any leaks thru my mouth or lips. CAUTION: I wouldn't try this with any other tape than the 3M tape I mentioned because I don't know how easily it'd rip. Also, don't cover up the half inch slit with another piece of tape or you've just defeated the whole method!!! Final tip: to get the tape to stick all night wash your face with soap and water and rinse repeatedly then dry thoroughly. Don't use soap with any lotion in it.

I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.