Trouble figuring things out

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
ThisIsMyUserName

Trouble figuring things out

Post by ThisIsMyUserName » Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:09 pm

Ok, So I started CPAP feeling awful; took about three months before I was feeling pretty darn great. Then I started feeling worse, and have been tired and yawny for the last month or so. This coincides with a switch from a Pilairo nasal pillow to an Eson nasal mask. All my data says thinks are great on both: very low AHI, very low leaks, reasonably comfortable, etc. But I noticed that in my first few months I had these really vivid long dreams, which I never had during my apnea years, and I haven't had those in a month or so. Also, I've noticed that I'm going to the bathroom every night about 2 am, which I did during the apnea years, but stopped on CPAP. Is it possible that I'm having awakenings with the nasal mask that I wasn't having on the pillows (which could cause me to feel a little apnea-y even without apneas?), or is it just that there are ups and downs? Everything else is basically the same. I sleep a regular schedule (7-8 hours a night, ~10-11 hours on Friday night), I sleep comfortably, have figured out all the humidity and other issues.

I'm thinking I'm going to switch back to the Pilairo tonight and see how I feel, but it bothers me, since it seems to me that if I'm not having apneas, it's hard to see how a new mask would cause bad sleep, especially since it's pretty comfortable. On the other hand, the correlation with the new mask is pretty obvious, so I don't see how I can ignore it, either. Also, people tell me you have to give a new mask a month or two to get used to, so maybe I should leave it all alone? What do you think? Thanks!

Wulfman...

Re: Trouble figuring things out

Post by Wulfman... » Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:25 pm

Are you using software to "SEE" what's going on during the night?
Your answers should be in the reports.

Den

Julie

Post by Julie » Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:31 pm

Have you considered that if you're breathing through your mouth when sleeping (sometimes becomes chronic when starting Cpap) your machine might not register that as a leak if it's large enough, and that the mask change may only be coincidental?

Try the Pilairo again, but be prepared to think about FF ones as well - try taping for a few nights to see if things improve.

jweeks

Post by jweeks » Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:37 pm

Hi,

Yes, please switch back for a few nights and see if things improve. If they do, then you have something to follow up on. If not, then it is your body messing with you. One thing that can happen is that once you get adapted to CPAP and sleeping better, your body starts to relax more. Being more relaxed means that your airway tissue might get a little looser and more floppy. That can make your sleep disorder a little worse. It can also change the type of disorder you have, or change the type of treatment that you need. For example, you might have developed sensitivity to the pressure and are now having central events. Or you went from having mostly hypos to fewer but stronger apnea events. Getting your data charts might help. If you have a fully data capable machine and software, please download and post your graphs from a typical night.

-john-

borgready

Post by borgready » Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:01 am

You want to monitor your O2 with a pulse oximeter. It sounds like your not breathing enough for some reason. Maybe sinuses or stuffy nose. You get the vivid dreams when your O2 is restricted. I would bet you having some kind of death dream. Your brain will likely try to scare you awake and get you out of dream. Try to be aware of this and don't get into it the dream. Vivid dreams seem really amazing but your operating on restricted air to get that dream. If your heart is good you can probably tolerate it for awhile. If not you will get some nasty chest pain. The going to the bathroom thing also indicates restricted O2. When your O2 is restricted your blood ph starts getting acidic, so your body will give up fluids and mineral to the kidney to adjust the blood pH. I don't know what the doctors term for that is but you can always ask your doctor. If anyone knows put it in the comments. I have found taking calcium and magnesium supplement and being well hydrated helps you recover from when you go through that recovery process of restricted O2. Lack of calcium and magnesium and you will have trouble recovering and the cycle of not breathing repeats and gets worse and worse which will give you a long hypopnea or mixed central if your airway is open. Your O2 should stay in the mid 90s.