Page 2 of 3

Re: New Software iPhone, Web, and Backup

Posted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:02 pm
by chunkyfrog
Since my phone has limited data, can I set cloud connection to only occur when I'm in Wifi range?
Otherwise, all cool.

Re: New Software iPhone, Web, and Backup

Posted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:22 pm
by DreamDiver
chunkyfrog wrote:Since my phone has limited data, can I set cloud connection to only occur when I'm in Wifi range?
Otherwise, all cool.
Ideally, it would be set up so that the entire system is local only to your home, with the ability to send data out onto the internet only when desired. It would only become available when you're in range of your home server via wifi.

Yes, it could be set up so that a giant server farm out there takes care of everybody's data, but who knows how long the company that supplies it is going to be around? Think "Zeo". Better to keep the system local, in my opinion.

Re: New Software iPhone, Web, and Backup

Posted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:25 pm
by pikov22
FattyMagoo wrote:Can you tell me your opinion on CPAP software with these abilities?
I've created a working prototype of this, but I'm trying to see if there is enough interest to warrant continuing development into something more polished.

So if you want to see it please reply.

I'm interested.

Re: New Software iPhone, Web, and Backup

Posted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:44 pm
by cobra4x4
I like the option of seeing data on my android phone.

Everything said already has lots of merit and I would like to see what transpires.

Re: New Software iPhone, Web, and Backup

Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:16 am
by FattyMagoo
You all are right that interfacing wirelessly with cpap is one of the tricky parts, especially across multiple manufacturers who are not trying to help make it happen.

What I've been experimenting with is replacing the SD card with a new SD card that has WiFi built in. These WiFi cards are usually meant for cameras for example: http://www.eye.fi/. The eyefi has limitations that won't work for us, but the concept is similar.

The data would then be securely uploaded and stored on the Internet (or "in the cloud" if you like trendy words).

I still need to hear people's opinion on their cpap data being uploaded to the Internet, but I personally wouldn't mind if its done securely in a way that only the patient can see it. The motivation is that it enables many benefits such as redundant backup, access from multiple devices, access remotely, etc.

FM


idamtnboy wrote:
FattyMagoo wrote:Wirelessly from what to what? From what I have seen any data transmitted from a CPAP machine by any means other than an SD card is very limited. Wirelessly transmitting data from the CPAP will give you nothing more than compliance data, in most cases I think. This great feature may be a non-starter simply because of the limitations built into CPAP machines.

Re: New Software iPhone, Web, and Backup

Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:29 am
by DreamDiver
FattyMagoo wrote:...I still need to hear people's opinion on their cpap data being uploaded to the Internet, but I personally wouldn't mind if its done securely in a way that only the patient can see it. The motivation is that it enables many benefits such as redundant backup, access from multiple devices, access remotely, etc...
I'd really rather have it local on an inexpensive local server, with the option of cloud interconnectivity.

The problem with cloud-only is that when your internet goes down, the app can't do its job. If the service is local with optional cloud redundancy, the intranet can still allow the service to push information to your phone, tablet, etc., via wifi.

Re: New Software iPhone, Web, and Backup

Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:52 am
by avi123
DreamDiver, as you say, the following is available today between Sleep Docs (& Clinicians) and home XPAPS, wirelessly:

ResTraxx™ Online

http://www.resmed.com/us/assets/documen ... er_eng.pdf


Still to be done: clinicians from their center to change the setting on the home machine, remotely, if needed, instead of coming over.

DD, should you be able to connect into it with your smartphone without paying membership fees?

The conversion of the Resmed XPAP data into wireless code is done in the S9 Wireless Module
(US and Canada) # 36930. It would be futile for anyone to redesign such a module to be used for other purposes.
Reminding me of your and others past efforts to rewire the Resmed S9 Oximetry Adapter # 36940, b/c of its hi cost.


http://www.resmed.com/us/assets/documen ... er_eng.pdf

Re: New Software iPhone, Web, and Backup

Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:24 am
by FattyMagoo
If Internet connectivity was lost you wouldn't lose any data. Say you have no Internet for a week. The idea is data just keeps piling up on the card, and when you're back online everything syncs up again. Even the phone apps would still work, provided your home WiFi network was still working because it would fall back to local data when the cloud wasn't available.

This requires a little care writing the code to be robust in these "offline" scenarios, but I think you need this kind of spit and polish to make good software.

Btw I like your name DreamDiver :).

DreamDiver wrote:The problem with cloud-only is that when your internet goes down, the app can't do its job. If the service is local with optional cloud redundancy, the intranet can still allow the service to push information to your phone, tablet, etc., via wifi.

Re: New Software iPhone, Web, and Backup

Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:26 am
by SleepyCPAP
FattyMagoo wrote:
I still need to hear people's opinion on their cpap data being uploaded to the Internet, but I personally wouldn't mind if its done securely in a way that only the patient can see it. The motivation is that it enables many benefits such as redundant backup, access from multiple devices, access remotely, etc.


When Onkor* was being developed I had uploaded my data to be decoded. I didn't mind, as it was password protected and I picked my own anonymous user name. I had also thought it would be good to give my doctor a password, in case monitoring was desired, although I never did, in part because with my password full access would have to be granted (if there had been a way to just see reports that would have been great). I am wary of lack of security online, but I figured if Onkor data fell into the wrong hands it wasn't going to cause me any trouble -- I'm not famous, and I don't have a job that would be affected either.
*(for those newer folks who don't know the history, the Onkor program was so much better than the EncoreViewer program because it showed the PRS1 wave forms for breathing and worked for us Mac users due to being web-based (Encore software is PC only) -- SleepyHead followed on the volunteer decoding research of that early effort).

I'd be more interested if you developed this to go via bluetooth or wifi to an iPhone (iPad/iPod Touch/Android, etc.) especially if it gave alerts. Although I suppose the alerts could be via e-mail. There have been some nights I've had a large leak flag show up, not long enough to be "percent in Large Leak" for the display, but I'd want to have an alert to "go look at your leak data, SleepyCPAP!" Or I'd want an alert if my AHI went over a preset number: in the early stages of therapy I would have set it at 4, then 2, and now I'd set it even lower. Or perhaps after a night of significant Periodic Breathing. I'd want to be able to set the time of day to receive the alert or data, because some days I'd rather just go about my day and not have my CPAP data affect my mood.

--SleepyCPAP

Re: New Software iPhone, Web, and Backup

Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:33 pm
by allen476
My thoughts would be that there is a Bluetooth module that works with the Sleepmapper app. Sleepmapper though only shows basic info.

The data that would be written to the SD card has to be there since the Bluetooth module connects into the SD card slot. My theory is that an app could be written that would allow all the data to be displayed. I suspect that PR didn't make the module limited due to future use of it and costs associated with doing so. I would imagine that one could easily write an app that would capture the info being transmitted via Bluetooth and be able to tell.

Next thing is to find someone that has the module that would be willing to let another borrow it for a while to see if it is possible.

Maybe Johnny or Carolyn would be interested in loaning one out for software development. I believe that if it could be done, that they would sell a lot more of them.

Re: New Software iPhone, Web, and Backup

Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:53 pm
by FattyMagoo
Hi Allen,

My hopes are to be able to get it working over WiFi. I like Bluetooth in general, but it seems to be limited in the Phillips system.

For example it appears their Bluetooth module has a proprietary connector. This means you can only use the Phillips BT module and it's roughly twice as expensive as similar BT modules.

I do like that BT is potentially easier to configure, so if the WiFi design turns out to be viable we'll have to take a look at the number of steps required and make sure my mom could setup it up without calling me.

FM

allen476 wrote:My thoughts would be that there is a Bluetooth module that works with the Sleepmapper app. Sleepmapper though only shows basic info.

The data that would be written to the SD card has to be there since the Bluetooth module connects into the SD card slot. My theory is that an app could be written that would allow all the data to be displayed. I suspect that PR didn't make the module limited due to future use of it and costs associated with doing so. I would imagine that one could easily write an app that would capture the info being transmitted via Bluetooth and be able to tell.

Next thing is to find someone that has the module that would be willing to let another borrow it for a while to see if it is possible.

Maybe Johnny or Carolyn would be interested in loaning one out for software development. I believe that if it could be done, that they would sell a lot more of them.

Re: New Software iPhone, Web, and Backup

Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:05 pm
by allen476
FattyMagoo wrote:Hi Allen,

My hopes are to be able to get it working over WiFi. I like Bluetooth in general, but it seems to be limited in the Phillips system.

For example it appears their Bluetooth module has a proprietary connector. This means you can only use the Phillips BT module and it's roughly twice as expensive as similar BT modules.

I do like that BT is potentially easier to configure, so if the WiFi design turns out to be viable we'll have to take a look at the number of steps required and make sure my mom could setup it up without calling me.

FM



One problem though, there is no wi-fi module for PR systems. The closest is the Broadband/oximetry module that is wi-fi but no way that you can get the data as it is pointed to send to Encoreanywhere just like the wired/wireless modems. Pretty worthless except for DME's.

That is why my interest in the bluetooth module. No need to reinvent the wheel. I have a big hunch that an app could be written very easily for that by borrowing from Sleepyhead and one could do away with Sleepmapper. Heck one might be able to hack Sleepmapper and make it display the rest of the data. Not nearly as much effort as wi-fi.

Wi-fi cards won't work in any of the PR and Resmed machines. That has been tried already and there are a few threads on that already.

Re: New Software iPhone, Web, and Backup

Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:24 pm
by DreamDiver
I wanted to clarify what I'm thinking. I might have gone overboard.
I hope this makes sense.
http://youtu.be/W4qJq2ZM41Y

I realize there isn't yet a wifi adapter for PRS1. LIkewise I seriously doubt the ResTraxx is designed for continual monitoring. SDIO cards probably won't (like eye-fi) work in either case because the firmware and hardware on the device have to be designed to support it.

It may be that our hopes lie in the next generation of devices, the S10 and the PRS2, with the idea that perhaps designers will include the overall civic hacking community.

Re: New Software iPhone, Web, and Backup

Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:19 pm
by idamtnboy
FattyMagoo wrote:What I've been experimenting with is replacing the SD card with a new SD card that has WiFi built in. These WiFi cards are usually meant for cameras for example: http://www.eye.fi/. The eyefi has limitations that won't work for us, but the concept is similar.

As has been mentioned a couple of WiFi SD cards that are available now have been tried but won't work in the S9. The only way I can see a WiFi card working in an S9 is if it is designed so that it looks purely like a normal SD card to the machine. In other words the WiFi aspect of it would have to be completely hidden from the S9. If it's a 4gb card and the WiFi part uses up 2gb, say, the card will have to appear to the S9 as a 2gb card. The S9 absolutely refuses to accept anything foreign in the file structure of the SD card. Get past that hurdle you are on to something. Many of us would like to have WiFi transmission back to our PC, probably even more so than to the cloud.

Re: New Software iPhone, Web, and Backup

Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:43 pm
by NateS
avi123 wrote:DreamDiver, as you say, the following is available today between Sleep Docs (& Clinicians) and home XPAPS, wirelessly:

ResTraxx™ Online

http://www.resmed.com/us/assets/documen ... er_eng.pdf


Still to be done: clinicians from their center to change the setting on the home machine, remotely, if needed, instead of coming over.

http://www.resmed.com/us/assets/documen ... er_eng.pdf


My recollection is that the first time my pressure was changed it was done remotely by that device

Image

by my first DME, after I had requested it from my doctor. I called my DME and verified that my doctor had faxed the Rx change to him, and he said he'd have it done before 2PM that afternoon, at which time he called me and said "I changed your pressure - go check your machine and verify it went through." Which I did and it had been changed to the new pressure.

Regards, Nate :D