Dealing with Congestion

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
vapatient

Dealing with Congestion

Post by vapatient » Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:10 pm

My biPAP works great !!! happy happy happy Untillllll I get some congestion.

My congestion messes up the useful pressures and it's hard to breath. DUH ! I'm congested and it's hard to breath without the machine while I'm awake.

I don't want to use histamines because chronic use can be bad for you.

Things I have tried with some success:
  • brush teeth every day and use mouth wash just before bed
  • wash mask with dish soap once a week
  • blow my nose before going to bed
  • don't eat for 3 hours before going to bed; more for acid reflux issues but helps breathing
  • prop upper body on pillow to keep acid reflux from getting in airway
  • position chin just inside full face mask to keep mouth shut; helps prevent leaks and helps keep nose dried out
  • .... ??? other ideas

Julie

Re: Dealing with Congestion

Post by Julie » Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:32 pm

Are you using the humidifier and have you experimented by either lowering your setting (including to 'off') or raising it? Too high can certainly cause congestion, but other things may be involved, whether nasal blockage of some kind and/or sinus/allergy issues. But try the above first for a couple of nights on diff. settings and see how things go. Climate change and local conditions can also make a big difference depending on where you live and seasons. And btw, I think you meant antihistamines. You don't want to buy or take histamines, not without a doctor.
Last edited by Julie on Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:32 pm

vapatient wrote:My congestion
You live in an arid climate. Are you using a heated humidifier? If so, what setting?

Did you have congestion before you started using CPAP?

What position(s) do you sleep in?

Neti pot rinses in the morning and again in the evening help many CPAPers.

These are good practices:
vapatient wrote: brush teeth every day and use mouth wash just before bed

wash mask with dish soap once a week

blow my nose before going to bed

don't eat for 3 hours before going to bed; more for acid reflux issues but helps breathing

position chin just inside full face mask to keep mouth shut; helps prevent leaks and helps keep nose dried out

vapatient wrote:prop upper body on pillow to keep acid reflux from getting in airway
This one concerns me a bit, but I don't know exactly what you are doing. The standard practice is to place 4-inch risers (http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/s ... =typeahead) under the legs at the head of the bed. Propping up on a pillow can cause problems. If you bend at the waste, the reflux may become worse. If you bend at the neck, the airway may be more likely to collapse and spinal problems may eventually arise.
vapatient wrote:I don't want to use histamines because chronic use can be bad for you.
Where did you get this information?

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:40 pm

wrote:Are you using a heated humidifier? If so, what setting?
I see in another post you said you are using a setting of 6. This may be the correct setting. Or it may be too high. The correct humidity setting seems to vary with the individual. A setting that is too high can cause congestion. Many have to experiment with the setting to find what works.

Or, it could be your humidity setting has nothing to do with your congestion. The cause of congestion could be other issues.

Cardsfan

Post by Cardsfan » Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:43 pm

Saline nasal spray works for me. No medicine it it. It just rinses out the blockage.

vapatient

Post by vapatient » Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:48 pm

Julie wrote:Are you using the humidifier and have you experimented by either lowering your setting (including to 'off') or raising it?
Hi, thanks. Yes, I have humidity set at 6, and have tried more and less. But you make a point. Perhaps while I am congested I should change humidity from my normal settings.

Lower humidity from 6 to 4 or less for instance, while I am congested and then return it to 6 after congestion clears.

Thanks

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:53 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
vapatient wrote:My congestion
You live in an arid climate. Are you using a heated humidifier? If so, what setting?

Did you have congestion before you started using CPAP?

What position(s) do you sleep in?

Neti pot rinses in the morning and again in the evening help many CPAPers.

These are good practices:
vapatient wrote: brush teeth every day and use mouth wash just before bed

wash mask with dish soap once a week

blow my nose before going to bed

don't eat for 3 hours before going to bed; more for acid reflux issues but helps breathing

position chin just inside full face mask to keep mouth shut; helps prevent leaks and helps keep nose dried out

vapatient wrote:prop upper body on pillow to keep acid reflux from getting in airway
This one concerns me a bit, but I don't know exactly what you are doing. The standard practice is to place 4-inch risers (http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/s ... =typeahead) under the legs at the head of the bed. Propping up on a pillow can cause problems. If you bend at the waste, the reflux may become worse. If you bend at the neck, the airway may be more likely to collapse and spinal problems may eventually arise.
vapatient wrote:I don't want to use histamines because chronic use can be bad for you.
Where did you get this information?
I wouldn't use a pillow prop raising the bed head up to 4 inches is Ok.

I had to rely on decongestants also, bad for people with heart problem, like me. After two years I have weaned myself off them, I also stopped using the humidifier, I keep the room cool cold actually. I find that you help me beat the congestion. I also take 2,000 unit Vit C daily. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

vapatient

Post by vapatient » Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:56 pm

Re: ChicagoGranny

You live in an arid climate. Are you using a heated humidifier? If so, what setting? 6 of 10

Did you have congestion before you started using CPAP? Sometimes, but usually a cold or maybe allergy

What position(s) do you sleep in? on side, but roll during night unintentionally

Neti pot rinses in the morning and again in the evening help many CPAPers. I will check into it, thanks
Where did you get this information? about anti-histimines; a physician. About everything else, personal experience, trial and error

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:19 pm

Goofproof wrote:I had to rely on decongestants also, bad for people with heart problem,
There was no mention of decongestants. He was talking about antihistamines ("histamines").
vapatient wrote:Where did you get this information? about anti-histimines (sic); a physician. About everything else, personal experience, trial and error
1) What I recommend, is to first try adjusting your humidifier setting down one notch per night. Observe what happens. If you become more congested or your nasal passages become dry or other unwanted side effects, take it back up. If you are lucky, you will find a level where you are no longer congested and the humidifier is still doing its job of keep the nasal passages from drying.

2) If you find what you consider to be the best humidifier setting, but still have congestion, I recommend an OTC antihistamine like loratadine or Zyrtec on the days you have congestion.

3) If you still have problems, you need to get to the root of these problems. See an ENT/Allergist. On the first visit, the doc should perform in his office an In Office Nasal Endoscopy & Laryngoscopy (http://www.tampaent.com/treatments-nasa ... el-fl.html). After this examination and a discussion about your symptoms, he may also want to perform some in-office allergy tests.

I hope step 1) finds a resolution for your problem.

ellen1159

Post by ellen1159 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:47 pm

I have chronic congestion from allergies. Today it's really bad. I use a nasal mask (F&P Eson) and if I can't get air through my nasal passages I'm sunk.

I use an OTC nasal steroid spray (Nasacrom/Nasacort/Flonase) once daily, either Allegra D (have to get it from the pharmacist, but it really works well) or Sudafed (OTC) tablets, and a Breathe-Right nasal strip.

I have a slightly deviated septum that doesn't help matters, but I haven't looked in to surgery just yet because there are risks, and it's not a major deviation. Most of the time the nasal spray, decongestants and nasal strip are enough to keep my nasal passages open; however, I work in an old building with a musty odor and old papers and dust (I'm new and haven't had time to deep clean my area), so right now I'm a mouth breather despite all of the above.

Humidifier: Respironics heated humidifier
Mask: F&P Eson Nasal mask
(previous tries with ResMed Swift FX Nano nasal and Mirage Quattro Full Face...still looking for my holy grail mask)

Michelle-OH

Post by Michelle-OH » Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:15 pm

I have congestion due to allergies, I use Flonase daily. In addition, when it's really bad I also like sleeping with essential oils and a diffuser. Since I got my cpap, I've started putting oils on a cotton ball and sitting it behind the filter area of my cpap. I know some people think essential oils are bogus, but I love some eucalyptus when I am feeling especially congested.