POLL: wisdom teeth removal

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.

have you had wisdom teeth removed prior to apnea diagnosis?

Poll ended at Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:12 am

None were removed
36%
1 tooth was removed
3%
2 teeth were removed
3%
3 teeth were removed
10%
4+ teeth were removed (ouch!)
49%

Total votes: 39

sleepio

POLL: wisdom teeth removal

Post by sleepio » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:12 am

I was thinking back to when I had 3 wisdom teeth removed, allegedly to facilitate teeth movement for braces. It was around this time that my life changed for the worst.

My stupid theory is that removal of these teeth was akin to removing poles holding up a tent. The airway, which may have been previously secured enough not to collapse, no longer has the structure necessary for adequate breathing while lying down.

Of course, this poll won't prove anything, I'm curious about your thoughts as well.

Last edited by sleepio on Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

zoocrewphoto

Re: wisdom teeth removal

Post by zoocrewphoto » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:48 am

It might be better to change the question. I had one wisdom tooth removed before my diagnosis. But I can assure it was at least 10 years after I started snoring and having symptoms of sleep apnea. I declined to answer in the poll since it was before my diagnosis but not before having sleep apnea. Most people go years with sleep apnea before treatment.

That said, I have always had a small mouth (4 non wisdom teeth removed as a teenager and all dentists comment on hard it is to do xrays and work on my small mouth), small airways (allergies and asthma and trouble getting enough air through my nose). I also struggle to swallow pills. And I needed smaller headgear than most people. Apparently, I have smaller facial features, not just my mouth.

Who would have thought it would be this challenging to sleep and breathe at the same time?

sleepio

Post by sleepio » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:13 am

Good morning and thanks for responding.

I was going to add to the original OP that wisdom teeth removal could be a contributing factor to a later onset of apnea episodes. For example, similar to what you've indicated, maybe 5 yrs after my wisdom teeth were removed, the tissues in my throat were no longer taut, and started to sag (amongst other things ) Then an additional 5 yrs passed before I was diagnosed.

zoocrewphoto

Post by zoocrewphoto » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:37 am

sleepio wrote:Good morning and thanks for responding.

I was going to add to the original OP that wisdom teeth removal could be a contributing factor to a later onset of apnea episodes. For example, similar to what you've indicated, maybe 5 yrs after my wisdom teeth were removed, the tissues in my throat were no longer taut, and started to sag (amongst other things ) Then an additional 5 yrs passed before I was diagnosed.

Not similar to what I indicated at all. I got ONE wisdom tooth out about 3 years ago at the age of 37. I've had sleep apnea for at least 10 years, probably 15 or more. I did have other teeth out when I was 16, but they weren't my wisdom teeth, and clearly my mouth was already quite small, hence the reason for removing the teeth. I was diagnosed with allergies at the age of 4, and my problems with taking pills started early, I know I was caught hiding pills when I was 6 or 7 years old. My dad had to crush them and put them in ice cream. I am 40 now, and I still choke on pills and even something fairly small can come back up.

My physiology was designed for sleep apnea before I got braces and long before my wisdom teeth came out.

Who would have thought it would be this challenging to sleep and breathe at the same time?

Loreena

Post by Loreena » Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:43 am

http://doctorstevenpark.com/sleep-apnea ... al-problem

http://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com/ ... necessary/

*All 4 impacted wisdom teeth out at same time in midtwenties; none were bothering me at the time

Last edited by Loreena on Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
+ Original Deluxe-Style Chinstrap + Nexcare Low Trauma tape

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:16 am

My stupid theory is that removal of these teeth was akin to removing poles holding up a tent.
Statistics will show that wisdom tooth removal and apnea are positively correlated. But it is highly unlikely to find cases where either one is the cause of the other. What you will find is that wisdom tooth crowding and apnea have a common causation - cranio-facial underdevelopment. See the Dr. Park article that Loreena kindly provided.

Loreena

Post by Loreena » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:09 am

When I was a teenager I had braces and they pulled 4 teeth. A few years later my wisdom teeth became impacted and they were all removed. Periodically I notice that my jaw “pops” when I clench my teeth. This comes and goes.

Is this all connected?

Steven Park on February 28th, 2011 8:00 pm

You may have been predisposed to obstructive sleep apnea, but pulling excessive teeth can make things much worse. Obstructive sleep apnea, reflux, TMJ and ADD all go hand in hand.
http://doctorstevenpark.com/5commonproc ... sleepapnea

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:28 am

Had 4 wisdom teeth pulled at age 20 I think it was...that's 41 years ago. Had them all done at once because I had a sneaky suspicion that they wouldn't get me back again...I was right.

I didn't develop any sleep apnea symptoms till I hit menopause about 5 or 6 years ago.
Didn't mark anything on the poll. Coincidence maybe but my airway isn't small and tonsils are shrunk up to nothing.
Small mouth doesn't necessarily equal small airway in everyone. Never wore braces or any need to.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

MagsterMile

Post by MagsterMile » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:37 am

I was in my early 20's when I had all 4 removed. I didn't develop sleep apnea until at least 60 years of age. But, if I slept 6 to 6 1/2 hrs a night for many years, I thought I was doing good.

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:00 pm

I was in my twenties when they were remove. There was no where for them to go except sideways - so no they were not holding anything up.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

midnight_skulker

Post by midnight_skulker » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:30 pm

None of my wisdom teeth were removed prior to my apnea diagnosis. I'm 67 and I still have all four of my wisdom teeth. After all, how are you going to crack your hickory nuts without wisdom teeth?

mgaggie

Post by mgaggie » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:38 pm

I had all 4 of my wisdom teeth out in the dentists chair (fully awake) when I was in grade six or seven. I don't think I developed apnea until my mid twenties.

Kiralynx

Post by Kiralynx » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:52 am

I do have a small jaw -- and never developed any wisdom teeth.

However, my apnea symptoms developed approximately eight months after a combination endoscopy and gall bladder surgery for which they overdosed me with anesthesia and same day surgery became four days in the hospital because I passed out whenever I tried to sit up.

My suspicion is that something was damaged during the surgery. Although the fact that I lost a LOT of weight during that period could have been another factor.

Beastie, 2008-10-28. NEW Beastie, PRS1 960, 2014-05-14. NEWER Beastie, Dream Station ASV, 2017-10-17. PadaCheek Hosecover. Homemade Brandy Keg Chin Support. TapPap Mask.
Min PS = 4, Max PS = 8
Epap Range = 6 - 7.5

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:54 am

I never had wisdom teeth.
My dentist says I never had buds.

Denial Dave

Post by Denial Dave » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:35 am

All four of mine were removed at about age 18.
The roots of the bottom teeth were growing into my jaw bone. I was admitted into a hospital for the surgery.

if you don't know where you are going... any road will take you there.... George Harrison