still baffled by my poor sleep, and equipment question

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Jak3099

still baffled by my poor sleep, and equipment question

Post by Jak3099 » Sat May 30, 2015 8:57 pm

Hi all, I've been struggling with my poor sleep for a few years now. According to my SleepyHead reports, my AHI averages ~0.6, but it's a struggle to get out of bed still!

I have tapered from 1 mg Ativan down to 0.25 mg at night, so if anything I would expect that would help with keeping my throat muscles from collapsing. Unless I'm having more stress and that's interfering with sleep? I'm going to see a new ENT and try to work on forcing myself out of bed instead of "hitting snooze" for 2 hours.

I'm wondering if also my equipment is too old? I'm using the same CPAP I got back in 2011, though I just changed the filter last week. My mask and tubing is almost a year old. How often should I be getting a new machine/mask/parts/etc.? Do I have to have a prescription each time, or do I just contact Apria?

I would give anything to have a restful night's sleep again

zoocrewphoto

Re: still baffled by my poor sleep, and equipment question

Post by zoocrewphoto » Sun May 31, 2015 12:28 am

Jak3099 wrote:Hi all, I've been struggling with my poor sleep for a few years now. According to my SleepyHead reports, my AHI averages ~0.6, but it's a struggle to get out of bed still!

I have tapered from 1 mg Ativan down to 0.25 mg at night, so if anything I would expect that would help with keeping my throat muscles from collapsing. Unless I'm having more stress and that's interfering with sleep? I'm going to see a new ENT and try to work on forcing myself out of bed instead of "hitting snooze" for 2 hours.

I'm wondering if also my equipment is too old? I'm using the same CPAP I got back in 2011, though I just changed the filter last week. My mask and tubing is almost a year old. How often should I be getting a new machine/mask/parts/etc.? Do I have to have a prescription each time, or do I just contact Apria?

I would give anything to have a restful night's sleep again
Have you ever looked at your nightly graphs? Your ahi looks good, but you should check a couple things. Make sure you don't have any really long events. Sometimes, you can have very few events, but so long that they still cause problems. Also look at your pressure and see if it goes up and down a lot. Your range isn't really big, but some people do have trouble with pressure changes, leaks, etc; and that could cause a lot of mini arousals that you can't remember, but will mess up your sleep. These may not be happening, but it is good to rule them out.

Other issues can be medications causing sleepiness or poor sleep. And other health issues. You may need to work with your doctor to narrow down the possibilities.

Who would have thought it would be this challenging to sleep and breathe at the same time?