Tap Pap to AirFit to Bleep

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
surf_rower

Tap Pap to AirFit to Bleep

Post by surf_rower » Wed May 05, 2021 8:02 am

Has anyone switched from Tap Pap to Bleep with success, or solved the Bleep problems I'm about to describe? I'm really spoiled by the excellent years with Tap Pap. My first night with Bleep didn't go well. I may have to switch back to Tap Pap, even though at age 66 I'm concerned that my teeth won't hold the Tap Pap mouthpiece forever. Headgear on nasal pillows consistently give me day-long headaches, probably from elastic shifting and pulling hair. (A fleece cap did not solve it.) Otherwise AirFit P10 is the BEST.

1. Takes forever to seat the clips into the ports. No doubt I'd get better at it. But I don't hear the "audible click."
2. Red pimple on nose, from alcohol and/or adhesive. This alone makes me fear the second night.
3. Cold air blowing all over the place. (Not from leaks.)
4. Every time I moved at all, it pulled on my nose. Seems like that would irritate the skin further, and wake some people up.
5. Rigid Tap Pap tube goes upward and out of the way, Bleep going downward means tubing is all over the bed and sheets. I did get up and change my main tubing back to overhead, but the Bleep short tube doesn't really want to go that direction.
6. Bleep instructions say to make your room cool enough that you will not sweat. So, we have to install air conditioning this summer even though we hate it? Anyone successfully sweat with Bleep?

Need a Plan B for when my teeth start to go! Thanks in advance for any thoughts on any of these three masks. I did read the existing threads on Bleep, but don't mind repeat advice as I have forgotten everything haha!
ResMed AirSense 11 AutoSet
Mask: ResMed N30i with cushion

loggerhead12

Re: Tap Pap to AirFit to Bleep

Post by loggerhead12 » Wed May 05, 2021 8:11 am

It doesn't seem like Bleep is a good fit for you.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed May 05, 2021 8:13 am

surf_rower wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 8:02 am
3. Cold air blowing all over the place. (Not from leaks.)
Are you using the diffuser that goes over the vent holes?

Consider a hose management system to route your hose overhead if possible.

Take a pair of used Bleep ports and practice fitting them together. You won't always hear the connecting but might feel it as well.
Or...practice on new ports but don't remove them from the paper.

Maybe consider a fan for help with sweating since you don't like the idea of an air conditioner?

Wait until the pimple heals if it is going to be touched by the Bleep adhesive strip.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

surf_rower

Post by surf_rower » Wed May 05, 2021 8:22 am

<< Are you using the diffuser that goes over the vent holes?>>

Hmm, no, I don't see such a thing in my packaging, nor is it mentioned in the instructions.
Thanks for your other good suggestions.

surf_rower

Post by surf_rower » Wed May 05, 2021 8:24 am

By the way, I did practice quite a bit before trying to attach to my face, but it's a different story when they're in your nose pointing slightly different directions, and trying to work with a mirror. The goal would be, of course, to be able to click them without a mirror.

booksfan

Post by booksfan » Wed May 05, 2021 8:33 am

It does take practice to get the interface onto the ports! I have arthritis in my fingers and sometimes have trouble. Also, I too don't always hear the clicks. One way I check to be sure the interface is completely seated is to block the end of the short hose with the palm of my hand and inhale/exhale. If I have done it correctly it will be a bit difficult and I will not hear air flowing. You might try that.

Also, call Stuart at Bleep. He is incredibly helpful and full of suggestions for those having problems.

Good luck!

Mask: Bleep Eclipse/Halos
Machine: ResMed AirSense 11 AutoSet

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed May 05, 2021 8:34 am

surf_rower wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 8:22 am
<< Are you using the diffuser that goes over the vent holes?>>

Hmm, no, I don't see such a thing in my packaging, nor is it mentioned in the instructions.
Thanks for your other good suggestions.
Ahhh....you got the old packaging and it is possible you also got the original shorter hose.
Can you measure the hose you got? This will let me know if you have the original shorter hose.

The diffuser thing wasn't in the original packaging. It is now included as well as an improved longer more flexible hose.
Call Stuart about your problems....he might be able to help with the products you didn't get without your having to go buy them.
Send him an email and your phone number and he will call you.
You can contact him here....look to the right of the "where to buy" link at top right side of page to get the "contact us" link.
https://bleepsleep.com/instructions/

Here's the diffuser thing. I call it the bikini thong. :lol:
https://makesleepeasy.com/products/drea ... eq=uniform

Don't buy it yet though...call Stuart....and in the meantime you can use what I used before the bikini thing was available...a ResMed filter over the vent holes to diffuse the vented air.
See Palerider's picture here in this thread of what he did.
viewtopic/t174807/BleepDreamPort-nasal- ... w#p1289934

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed May 05, 2021 8:50 am

And yes it is totally weird to try to attach those ports in front of a mirror doing everything backwards. It took me a long time but I finally mastered it without using the mirror.

Here's my quick cheat sheet of what I do.
Attach the adhesive and then put my fingers over the port holes and exhale to check to make sure no leaks at the adhesive.
Then I attach the ports and take the palm of my hand and put it over the end of the hose and inhale/exhale several times to check for leaks at the connections. It's usually pretty easy to spot with a port isn't connected completely because of the quantity of air movement.
Then I go to the bedroom and hook it up to the machine hose.

At first it would take me several minutes but after about 6 months or so I had it down to maybe 1 to 2 minutes tops.
It does get easier with time and experience.

New2me123

Post by New2me123 » Wed May 05, 2021 11:32 am

I haven’t looked at a tap pap in a minute but pulling from the nozeseal thread active now here, I wonder if you could tape it to your nose and take off the mouth part??

Just thinking!

surf_rower

Post by surf_rower » Wed May 05, 2021 11:34 am

Thanks Pugsy and bookfan! My Bleep hose is 10 inches not including the plastic attacher. Thanks for the contact info for Stuart. I think some of these problems will go away with more practice (and a diffuser), but if the adhesive gives me pimples it's a no go. First test will be to see if it's the adhesive, or the alcohol. I am not terribly pimple-prone so it was a surprise. Thanks again.

surf_rower

Post by surf_rower » Wed May 05, 2021 11:35 am

New2me123 wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 11:32 am
I haven’t looked at a tap pap in a minute but pulling from the nozeseal thread active now here, I wonder if you could tape it to your nose and take off the mouth part??

Just thinking!
Yes I just posted on the NozeSeal thread too! I will be testing tapes now!

surf_rower

Post by surf_rower » Wed May 05, 2021 11:38 am

surf_rower wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 11:35 am
New2me123 wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 11:32 am

Just thinking!
Yes I just posted on the NozeSeal thread too! I will be testing tapes now!
Oh wait, you meant the Tap Pap, yes maybe! Easy to try that one since the mouthpiece comes right off.
My dream mask is to get the AirFit P10 to stay on with no straps. It is by far the least air-blowing mask I've tried. At first I couldn't even tell air was coming out and thought it was malfunctioning!

surf_rower

Post by surf_rower » Wed May 05, 2021 11:40 am

I should add, TapPap advises NOT using one if one or more upper teeth stick out beyond the others. One of my teeth has been shifting out over the years, probably not FROM the TapPap, but who knows. So I do need to transition off it.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed May 05, 2021 11:49 am

surf_rower wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 11:34 am
My Bleep hose is 10 inches not including the plastic attacher.
That's the original shorter hose and it is not as flexible as the new heat sync hose which is not quite 18 inches.
If you can get the new hose I think you will like it a lot better.
Talk to Stuart first. If he can't get you the hose let me know because it is available ...I think...as a stand alone purchase.

New2me123

Post by New2me123 » Wed May 05, 2021 12:15 pm

Yeah you gotta take care of those pearly whites! My teeth are straight but I lost my retainers and don’t know if I trust the tap paps mouthpiece since my teeth have shifted just not out.

If we could just stick it on our noses we wouldn’t have to worry about teeth issues at all. I think it’d be a pretty serious idea to have a bleeping system without the snapping things people have trouble with and goes over the head not pull on the nose... that all could really work for some people including me and possibly you and many others I think