Bruxism and TMD

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
sleepstar

Bruxism and TMD

Post by sleepstar » Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:51 pm

Hi everyone

Just wondering if many people here grind their teeth or have problems with temporomandibular joint disorders.

Has it improved with CPAP? Anyone wear a splint?

I've been grinding my teeth very badly lately. I think it's time I have a study myself!!

Pugsy

Re: Bruxism and TMD

Post by Pugsy » Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:25 am

While we have many members that wear oral splints for various reasons I don't seem to recall much discussion about things improving to the point that they don't need the splints just from cpap therapy. I also haven't read much about TMJ or teething grinding/jaw clenching being a product of OSA itself. I suppose it wouldn't be impossible though. Seems like nothing is impossible when it comes to OSA side effects.

Now I have had periodic random issues with TMJ and some jaw clenching with some discomfort and occasionally what I call "lock jaw" where I can barely eat because of the TMJ issues.
For that reason I did consider adding an oral splint and about that time the Tap Pap mask came out so I bought it instead of a splint. It did seem to help and I did well with it. Since the P10 was released I have been using it because it really requires zero effort to put on and adjust and while the Tap Pap wasn't all that difficult it did require a little more effort. I have been fortunate that the TMJ issues haven't returned but should they then I would go back to the Tap Pap for a while.

I think you should get a sleep study anyway...give you a front row seat to all this good stuff we go through.
Should you in fact draw the short straw and need cpap you might look at the Tap Pap mask since it might help on 2 fronts...treat the OSA and help with the TMJ/grinding issues. It's really quite comfy once it is fitted properly. I would wake up and not even notice it was in my mouth.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Sir NoddinOff

Re: Bruxism and TMD

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:28 am

sleepstar wrote:Hi everyone

Just wondering if many people here grind their teeth or have problems with temporomandibular joint disorders.

Has it improved with CPAP? Anyone wear a splint?

I've been grinding my teeth very badly lately. I think it's time I have a study myself!! Image
I tend to grind my teeth somewhat moderately and it's hell on my crowns and teeth. I ended up using the Doctor's Night Guard, a hot water moldable silicone mouthpiece that's sold online. In the morning, first thing upon waking, I sometimes get a little teeth misalignment but it's never really bad or painful, plus it goes away in about an hour. I have to be careful eating my breakfast cereal tho. I can see how someone that has a severe misalignment and consequently TMD could be in real discomfort. I'm not sure what a 'splint' is that you mentioned? I have a certain method of modifying the teeth guard to fit me... PM if you need some detail.

I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.