Weight Gain! UGH

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Jac

Weight Gain! UGH

Post by Jac » Sun May 31, 2015 2:43 am

I am very new here... and a new Bipap user! The Cpap machine did not deal with my 25 Central Apneas per hour so I switched to the Bipap and it is doing the job... howwwwwwwever!~ I have gained 10 POUNDS IN ONE MONTH! No change in diet and if anything I am way more active now than before bc I am sleeping better.... My doctor says there can be NO correlation...but I say YES there is...because this is the only thing I have changed...
Can anyone help guide me to information on why this might be happening and if there is anything I can do??

Thanks in advance!

Jacque Simmons

kteague

Re: Weight Gain! UGH

Post by kteague » Sun May 31, 2015 3:16 am

The reports on here regarding weight gain or loss after starting CPAP are a mixed bag. Maybe because we all bring so many variables to the table. According to the reports linked below, you are not alone, however, 10 pounds in a month seems a lot to me. How recently did you switch to bipap? You said it is addressing your centrals - are you looking at detailed machine data to determine this? Since your doctor is convinced the weight gain is not related to CPAP, what did they suggest checking out in an attempt to find a cause? Was this a sleep doc or your GP? Especially if there's any evidence this is fluid buildup, I'd want answers. Could be happenstance that something has gone wrong at the same time you're starting CPAP, but I look forward to reading other people's input as to whether there's a mechanism that could explain this.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24127141
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18595431

sleepstar

Post by sleepstar » Sun May 31, 2015 9:59 am

I always found this interesting and counter intuitive. I think it makes sense better sleep = more energy = more activity = lose weight.

Doesn't seem to always be the case though. Better sleep = more energy = awake more of the day = more time to eat = increased caloric intake and weight gain seems to be the other way.

I note that your diet hasn't changed though. Strange thing. Interested to hear what others have to say.

ems

Post by ems » Sun May 31, 2015 1:17 pm

Hello Jac - I would speak to your doctor about exploring this further. Ten pounds is a lot to gain in a month, especially if your diet hasn't changed. Did your doctor have recent blood work results to look at, etc.? Did he suggest other tests? I don't think dismissing it is the answer. Keep us in the loop. Personally, I would like to know how this was resolved.
If only the folks with sawdust for brains were as sweet and obliging and innocent as The Scarecrow! ~a friend~

webbie73

Post by webbie73 » Sun May 31, 2015 2:21 pm

Did you change the amount eaten? Even too much of a healthy diet will make you gain.

Sir NoddinOff

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Sun May 31, 2015 4:57 pm

I'm one of those people who when things are going great in my life tend to eat too much - this especially includes getting all the sleep I need which always makes me feel good. However, if I'm sleeping crappy and feeling crappy, then I tend to not eat very much at all, probably below 2000 calories a day. I don't like the way that works for me but it's something I've recognized in myself and therefore if I'm on a great emotional level I have to make adjustments and consciously eat less and also consume less alcohol etc. What was that old John Cougar song? It Hurts so Good? Anyway, something like that.

Last edited by Sir NoddinOff on Sun May 31, 2015 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Sun May 31, 2015 6:24 pm

A couple of things - better sleep can mean better digestion which means more calories are taken and stored. When you eat can make a difference.

The other thing which has been discovered during diet studies is that people tend to underestimate their food intake by 30-40%. The only way to know how much you really eat is to keep a diary beside you at all times - or get your urine tested daily.....

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

Julie

Post by Julie » Sun May 31, 2015 8:13 pm

And don't forget about the sneaky scale figures - the ones that show you weigh e.g. 100 lbs in the a.m. and 105 in the pm... you must weigh yourself at the same time every day to get accurate measures. Also, it is possible that the 1st of the 10 days happened to fall on one which you had just lost a lot of water taken in on previous days, incidental to your weighing yourself (on day 1) and it was a 'false' reading in that it would otherwise have not been such a low figure on many other days... e.g. day one of your 10 might happened to have been unusually low to begin with... just speculating.

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Sun May 31, 2015 11:09 pm

If you're working out more, keep in mind that muscle weighs more than fat.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm