slammed with massive bill

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
señor snore

slammed with massive bill

Post by señor snore » Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:47 pm

After my sleep testing I was prescribed a bipap machine. I was told it would be $1500 and I would be responsible for what the insurance doesn't pay. That was in December 2014. I put $200 down on the machine and waited for a bill. Yesterday 6/20/15 I got a call to let me know I would be getting a bill for $6,000 and the insurance wouldn't pay for any of it. I almost dropped my phone. This seems like a very sketchy business practice. I would have never agreed to take the machine home had I known it was going to cost $6,000. Also, there's no stinking way this little box could cost more than my car. Seriously people. It's a blower, a pressure sensor, and some basic electronics. I find it very hard to believe there's not massive price gouging going on. Anyway. My question to this forum is what can be done now? I've had the machine for 6 months; can I return it? Can I complain to a medical board of some kind? Have any of you been in the same situation? If so, what did you do?

chunkyfrog

Re: slammed with massive bill

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:51 pm

It is possible that somebody filled out some paperwork incorrectly.
It happens all the time.
If your insurance is through work, you nay be able to get someone in Personnel
to step in for you and straighten things out.

Julie

Post by Julie » Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:10 pm

You need to talk to your insurance company - we don't know anything about you, them, the machine, what the charge supposedly covered, anything at all. Was a sleep study involved? What details can you tell us about the machine, the full name (see top of machine and bottom - all words) and mask. Sleep studies can add up to quite a bit, but in any case, you normally are told ahead of time what things will cost, itemized... what happened to that?

Cardsfan

Post by Cardsfan » Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:25 pm

Just because someone tells you that you owe them money, does not mean it is correct. If you have insurance, you should know what your responsibilities are. You should know your co-pays, and deductibles, and if the provider is in their network. Contact your insurance company.
Did you check with your insurance company before your sleep test and getting the machine to see what was covered and what you were responsible for? And to see if that sleep doctor was in their network?

sleepstar

Post by sleepstar » Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:28 pm

Can I ask where you're from?

señor snore

Post by señor snore » Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:01 am

sleepstar wrote:Can I ask where you're from?
California USA.

update: I called them and negotiated the bill down, but I still owe $4000. Not happy but I guess it's my own %#@&$ fault for not asking more questions.

Krelvin

Post by Krelvin » Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:16 am

Something doesn't make sense, you certainly could get the machine cheaper via a number of various ways.

Unregistered visitor though...
Current Settings PS 4.0 over 10.6-18.0 (cmH2O) - Resmed S9 VPAP Auto w/h5i Humidifier - Quattro Air FFM
TNET Sleep Resource Pages - CPAP Machine Database
Put your equip in your Signature - SleepyHead v1.0.0-beta-1
Kevin... alias Krelvin

Landrew

Post by Landrew » Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:15 am

Can you share the name of the provider. I am experiencing a similar problem. In my case the provider assured me that they got preauthirization from my insurance company prior to shipping me the unit.

Cardsfan

Post by Cardsfan » Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:31 am

Never trust the provider to get preauthorization from your insurance. That is YOUR responsibility. Deal with your insurance provider yourself and get written copies of the preauthorization mailed to you. Make sure your medical provider is IN NETWORK. Know what your co pays and deductible are.

Preauthorization does not mean the provider will be In Network. I had that pulled on me. I had Snap Diagnostics assure me my test was Pre Authorized. Yes, it was pre authorized as being OUT of network.

You wouldn't hand someone your credit card and say "tell me what I owe". Don't do it with your insurance card.

tazman

Post by tazman » Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:35 am

Apria got preauthorization for my machine then tried sending me all kinds of bills because they were billing my insurance company wrong. I got my insurance company to call Apria and it took a while but they finally got them to do the proper billing. I have not seen the results of it yet and Apria knows I am not going to pay anything more until it is straightened out. I paid my first payment and my 3 month rental and I will not pay my share of the final payment until it is billed to my insurance and my insurance tells me what it is not Apria.

Hose_Head

Post by Hose_Head » Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:10 am

señor snore wrote:
sleepstar wrote:Can I ask where you're from?

update: I called them and negotiated the bill down, but I still owe $4000. Not happy but I guess it's my own %#@&$ fault for not asking more questions.

Do you have a breakdown of those $4000 in charges? Was part of that for your sleep study? Did your insurance cover any portion of the charges? Has your insurance even been asked to pay for it?
I'm workin' on it.